bobble

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

An Arm And A Leg

trent managed to twist my arm into going to welch village. sorry -- maybe tomorrow. it was probably mid 40F's and sunny. slopes were groomed but were icy underneath. i felt like i was going to fast and my timing felt off.

Death Cookies And Milk

dan's dive had small chunks of ice that would hurt the hands, knees, or hips on impact. i rode upright just to keep my hands off the snow. we went down most runs but couldn't find the ONE that would hold an edge. today was not a good day to lay out any turns.

Crap-tacular

an hour or so later, the conditions softened but it didn't get much better. we did bakke only twice, dan's dive a couple times, jon jon maybe three times. it just sucked everywhere. in the sun the snow was soft like a sno-cone, in the shade you had hard snow with ice. i had a hard time with my edges holding. trent eventually switched to skis.

The Crying Game

sometimes my eye will occasionally wander when a woman catches my attention for some inexplicable reason. today was no exception. in the lift line, trent and i noticed a woman who looked to be early 20's. i don't know what it was that drew both of our attentions, it could've been her stylish hair or perhaps her tight black spyder ski outfit. it definitely was not her skis. as we got closer to the chair we had an ample opportunity to assess the situation. imagine our shock to discover that this woman we were ogling was in her late 40's early 50's!!! (she was a woman, not quite The Crying Game). i hate that when it happens. when we got onto the chair, trent's asked "hey... you think she's wearing a wig?"

Bob;

Watch the weather and pick your day carefully if you're planning to come up to Duluth - I was out Wednesday night with my son and we had great conditions, but when I went back late Friday morning it was so soft and 'sticky' that I left after three runs (despite having the afternoon off!). With temps forecast below freezing at night and above during the day for the short term, I'm thinking that there is going to be a pretty short window of carveable conditions sometime in the morning for the each of the next few days...

The Beach

today was sunny and warm, probably mid 40F's. there were some kids in t-shirts. i started on olympic dreams. it was the only one groomed. there were some patches where it was hard but overall it was relatively ok. not the best but could've been worse. better than welch. later greg and i ventured to powder ridge. not groomed but soft enough to carve. it was kinda nice. crossroads was a bear at first but at around 1pm is was soft enough to carve. it was bumpy but you could hold an edge. it didn't get crowded till after lunch.

A Word From Mr. Safety..

buck put some terrain park boxes right on milkrun. IMHO, pretty stupid idea. they've already got two terrain parks and somehow they felt the need to desecrate a perfect run. the boxes are close to the main lift. on one of my runs i ventured over to milk run. i completely forgot about the boxes and almost turned into one. greg said the same thing happened to him. they are hard to see from the top of the run. i can see someone really getting hurt.

Try This On For Size

i started down the run. i had the run to myself. made a turn or two. i casually looked uphill and saw a bogey on my six. he was tailing me at a moderate speed and not deviating. i had a WTF moment and stopped. the guy passed less than 10 feet from me which was not cool and so i yelled at him. i'm sure this crap happens to all of us. its an occupational hazard. what bothers me the most is when i see skiers who wear ski team jackets whose skills are inversely proportional to their attire. the guy looked like an instructor but his skiing infinitely sucked. why not throw in a turn or two and enjoy the moment?!? on my new world, planet Alpine, these tards would not be allowed to wear spyder. i'm thinking of something else.

I was out this morning at 9am. Took two turns before I had a binding issue and had to one-leg it all the way down. Didn't have enough motivation to go back out with the conditions as they were and just went home.

It's that time of the season, with the huge melt during the day and freeze at night, the conditions are going to start sucking. Looks like colder temps towards the end of the week, which will likely mean they can at least bring out the groomers.

The terrain park is mostly closed as of tonight, as well as "Powder Ridge". I think a lot of the terrain park obstacles are being moved over to the North side, but the ones on Milk Run will likely stay put for the rest of the season.

It's possible that I'm done for the year :( as I'll have a new son in about 8 days, 10 hours. :biggthump I might be able to get out one last time next weekend.

I was out this morning at 9am. Took two turns before I had a binding issue and had to one-leg it all the way down. Didn't have enough motivation to go back out with the conditions as they were and just went home.

It's that time of the season, with the huge melt during the day and freeze at night, the conditions are going to start sucking. Looks like colder temps towards the end of the week, which will likely mean they can at least bring out the groomers.

The terrain park is mostly closed as of tonight, as well as "Powder Ridge". I think a lot of the terrain park obstacles are being moved over to the North side, but the ones on Milk Run will likely stay put for the rest of the season.

It's possible that I'm done for the year :( as I'll have a new son in about 8 days, 10 hours. :biggthump I might be able to get out one last time next weekend.

what do you mean that the terrain park is closed? and powder ridge? yo no comprendo. the snow is fairly decent over there.

hope things go well on delivery day.

That's great Dave!!!! My Daughter just turned 1 the other day. Time really does fly.

i like skyline chili. bring back a 3-way!

Will do.

We are thinking of having a "Cincinnati" party when we get back (home July 1st). We will bring back all things "Cincinnati" and everyone can try them. That way you will never have to come here.:D

I will invite the carving crew. Should be a good time.

Was wondering if anyone was planning on being out Sunday am. I will be in the cities for the weekend and was thinking about stopping by on my way home. My leg has healed up quicker than expected and was able to get out on a race board last Friday. Made 15 runs with no pain! :biggthump:biggthump

what do you mean that the terrain park is closed? and powder ridge? yo no comprendo. the snow is fairly decent over there.

Erosion control.

The new expanded area was completed so late in the season last year that there wasn't a chance for any vegetation to grow on those banks. To try and prevent all that hard work from washing away, all the snow has been scraped off of that area.

Thanks to mother nature and her early spring tease.

I was out at Buck today. I had to try a new board before there is no snow. The conditions are obviously less that ideal, but I had an OK time. I only stayed for an hour or so. My hands and lower legs were soaked by the time I left. If the temps do drop and they groom at all there could be a few good days left. It seemed like there was plenty of snow. Some dirt patches were showing towards the bottom though, mostly by the lift.

The best ever carving snow "period" was the last day of the season befor last. it had been warm and I guess everyone thought it was over. Saturday night got down to about 25 and they groomed the heck out of the hill. It was like a billiard table, not a bump, ridge or rut. The surface seemed icey, but it had the best edge hold I have ever felt. I could feel the heat comming through my gloves as they brushed over the crisp corderoy. In fact, whenever my heelside hip or toeside knee grazed the snow, a warm sensation could be felt in that area. You could do no wrong, the edge always held. I could not believe there was no one there to share this awesome experience with. The place was deserted (which added to the fun). It last all of two hours. not wanting to spoil the memory, I left about 11.30. That day lasted me the whole summer.

For that reason I'll never write off the end of the season till it's over.

Having said that, I'm heading up to Spirit Friday.

BobD

Sat & Sun might be the last weekend days for Buck. It's been cold enough to groom the past couple of nights and I would expect it to be pretty decent this weekend. Probably very firm cord in the morning.

More warm and rain in the forecast for next week, so get your last turns in this weekend.

Milk Run is occupied all weekend, but Crossroads should be great. I can't imagine that there will be any major crowds.

I made it out to Buck for a bit today. Olympic Dreams, or whatever it's called was carvable. The rest was OK, but I could go without. There is a slopestyle comp on Saturday. The park they are building is HUGE! It's the biggest I've ever seen in Minnesota. I really want to go see the comp, but I have to work. I have not seen any riders good enough to make use of the gigantic features of this park. I just hope nobody gets hurt. I almost think it must be some sort of demo, the rail-slides don't look as though they belong to Buck.

anyone make it to buck today (saturday)?

i was at work most of the day. i swung by buck around 4pm to take a look. it almost looks carveable. half tempted to give it a try.

something's going on milkrun. lots of video cameras.

anyone make it to buck today (saturday)?

i was at work most of the day. i swung by buck around 4pm to take a look. it almost looks carveable. half tempted to give it a try.

something's going on milkrun. lots of video cameras.

I was out there for a bit this afternoon but not on the board, the snow looks nice.

I'll bet Buck was nice.. I was at Hyland today. They groomed, but hit the base pretty quickly. Almost rode in the T-shirt..... Almost..

Heading up to Wild Mtn tomorrow 9am-1 for some end-o-season gate practice.

Camera's? It's the "Midwest Massacre " I'm imagine it's full of jumps, rails, and all sorts of

crazy stuff for you to get hurt on.

Speaking of getting hurt, What's the deal this season?! So many injuries!

I just heard about our two latest alpine riders. One rider cracked a

vertebrae (she's fine - guess it's one of the un-important ones in the neck..? ) and another rider who dislocated her elbow something fierce.

Be safe out there these last few days!

~Karl

post-600-141842230782_thumb.jpg