Dear Buck Hill Diary...

bobble

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Went this morning. The snow was OK considering the circumstances. Carvable with care. As it it warmed up it, it wasn't so good on the board. Corn on top, icey underneath. Worth going all the same though. The light was great today, not so tomorrow.

BobD

From The Glass Lined Tanks Of Old Latrobe

got to buck at 3pm. i asked the woman behind the counter how many times i had my season pass swiped. she said 33 times. i was a little disappointed. not sure if it was the weather to blame or my displaced sense of loyalty to my employer. probably a combo of both. but then again, i did make it out to welch more than last year, spirit, and aspen.

Game Over

ok, so conditions abso-****ing-lutely sucked!!! very slushy. at the bottom of the run it felt like a sandy snowcone. couldn't hold an edge without sticking my arm down. visibility was another problem but the dark snow actually helped. i should've brought my softboots. the freestyle contest was going on milkrun. i stayed for maybe a half hour then left. was it worth going?

Ctrl Alt-Delete

i think is safe to say that today was my last day of the season. i'm 99% sure of that. overall it was a very good year. the best part was i didn't get injured and freak out ms. bobble like previous years. i had fun riding with everyone and meeting new people. i'll be tooling around on my longboard skateboard and playing disc golf this summer.

bobble

Dave: Congratulations!!!!!

I can just see it now.. Next season, you'll be out boarding with

both the kid-carrier backpack, and the ever popular "extendable-steerable-kid-ski-leash." :)

Bobble: I'm disappointed you didn't sign up for the slopestyle event!

Sure, there's always the chance ya might totally case a kicker on live TV,

but never thought you'd pass up a chance to shred the gnar. :biggthump

Yeah.. sigh...Don't think I'll be making it out to Buck either.

Wild was actually pretty good yesterday

Most of the runs were mush, but the hill we set on stayed firm all morning.

The G-Team kids are ready to kick some serious butt at Nationals! :eplus2:

Also met a guy there named Nick who is new to alpine - said he picked up a Prior 4WD just a few weeks back.

In-line skating marathon this summer - Anyone interested?

Bobble: I'm disappointed you didn't sign up for the slopestyle event!

Sure, there's always the chance ya might totally case a kicker on live TV,

but never thought you'd pass up a chance to shred the gnar. :biggthump

Yeah.. sigh...Don't think I'll be making it out to Buck either.

i'm disppointed too... if only i could heelside off the lift. :(

I was there Sat and Sun mornings and I have to say I was very supprised at what I saw. Maybe all the good boarders were at another event, but the skiers outclassed the boarders by a mile. Skiers were regularly hitting 1080s and inverts on the big jump, boarders made a few 720s. Skiers were like atheletes, boarders were like there to look cool and behave badly.

If I were a young kid watching both days and deciding one plank or two, it would have an easy choice.

Very sad.

BobD

I was there Sat and Sun mornings and I have to say I was very supprised at what I saw. Maybe all the good boarders were at another event, but the skiers outclassed the boarders by a mile. Skiers were regularly hitting 1080s and inverts on the big jump, boarders made a few 720s. Skiers were like atheletes, boarders were like there to look cool and behave badly.

If I were a young kid watching both days and deciding one plank or two, it would have an easy choice.

Very sad.

BobD

when i was at buck i didn't see any skiiers in the slope event. the only boarder trick i saw was some sort of barrel roll off a jump. :sleep:

i'm always impressed by skiiers doing jumps. last time at welch trent and i saw a skiier on that run next to dan's dive hit a bump and almost landed 1/2 down the hill. i was very impressed.

buck had a weird vibe. i know what you mean -- boarders trying to look cool and behaving badly. the pseudo-ghetto "tagged" look of the rails was kinda dumb. didn't know the linux was a boarder thing.

post-1112-141842231127_thumb.jpg

Congrats Dave!!!!!

Good to hear everyone is healthy! Good sized kid......

See you guys later! I'll be back for next season.

I'll keep you all in the loop about the "Cincinnati" Party, even if you just stop to say hi.

this morning, ms. bobble dared me to go boarding. i didn't think buck would be open. checked out the tower cam. sure, why not?

i loaded up my car with softboots. it was 50F and very balmy. the snow was brown with open spots. there was one track left by the groomer next to olympic dreams. it was very soft and had a surfy feel to it. the rest was crusty but soft. i rode that track almost exclusively. no one else rode it. everyone was flocking to milkrun where they had the jumps. i went over to milkrun a couple times but it was nothing special. i don't understand why they didn't groom crossroads. after all, today is the last day.

i had a spring buzz today. it really felt great to be outside.

I usually check BOL once a day, and took the lack of entries in this thread this week as a sign that y'all were done for the season - glad you hear that you squeezed out one more shot! My son and I went to Spirit this morning - firm at 9, but soft and chopped up (and a bit treacherous) by 10:30, so we left. Closing date is April 1st, but with rain and warm weather forecast, it's looking like today's the end for me.

I'm hoping you'll do the diary again next year; I always enjoyed keeping up with your antics, adventures, and observations........

[size=+2]
[center][b]THE DAY OF THE TARDS[/b][/center]
[/size]

At the bottom of Milkrun, the Ski Jammers and their ilk have crowded the 
hills and are making a mess in the lift line. Bobble is at the chalet and 
sees BobD in the lift line. He runs down from the chalet.

[center][b][u]BOBBLE[/u][/b]
HEY!!! BOBD!!!!  DON'T GET ON THAT CHAIRLIFT!!!!  [/center]

Bobd is next in line to get on the chair with two other Ski Jammers. 
He hears Bobble but doesn't see him immediately. He looks around, and 
then looks behind where he sees Bobble.

[center][b][u]BOBD[/u][/b]
What?!? Don't get on the chair? 
Where's your board?

[b][u]BOBBLE[/u][/b]
Never mind my board! I was able to decipher the 
Ski Jammers manifesto, 'To Serve Man'!
You have to listen to me!!![/center]

BobD has a perplexed look on his face.  People in the lift line are 
staring. The sudden commotion has now made BobD feel ill at ease.

Sorry?[/center]

Bobble in a panic.

To Serve Man!!!
Its not a cure for disease!!! 
It's not a solution for global warming!!!
Hell, its not even a cook book!!![/center]

BobD is not following. He's more alarmed about Bobble's state of mind.
Clearly something is wrong.

I'm not sure what you are talking about...[/center]

Bobble is frantic and grabs bob by arm and shakes it. BobD pulls away.

The book!!! To Serve Man!!!  
The Ski Jammers manifesto!!! 
There's a typo on the front cover!!![/center]

Bobble tries to catch his breath and reveals.

[center][b]BOBBLE (cont'd)[/b][/center]

[center]... ITS 'TO SWERVE MAN'!!![/center]

BobD is momentarily stunned by this revelation. He looks towards the
two grimacing Ski Jammers in line with him. Instead of getting onto the 
lift he reaches down and releases his toe-bail.

Ok. I'm done for the day. I'll see you next weekend.

[b][u]BOBBLE[/u][/b]
Sounds good. See ya then!

[b]The End[/b][/center]

post-1112-141842231198_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...
Guest jeffrey1knee

odd cartoon. I don't get it either. I even went on a wild google chase and found nothing to help me understand.

Glad to see a new post in the BH Diary... I was a little sad to see it sit dormant for so long.

the cartoonist is don wright. i think its strange that the cartoon has buck hill (or buckhill ltd) mentioned in it when the cartoonist lives in florida.

and there's gravity financial inc. can't help thinking of gravity lab.

i'm sure its purely a coincidence.