Note to New Members ×

Dear Buck Hill Diary...

bobble

thursday night kinda sucked. the new Powder Ridge was uncarveable... it was rutted and had huge potholes. Crossroads was semi carveable but you had to ride your edges high and you'd get buffeted by the snow. i kept falling down near tower 6 because the snow would give away. it was really fast snow. the backside towards teachers pet had bare spots. i left after 1/2 hour.

not sure what to expect this weekend. i might breakout the soft boots.

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

i put on my soft boots and brought my hardboots just in case. the light was very flat. the snow was groomed but it was deceptive. it doesn't hold up too well. the skiiers were carving (or sinking) big trenches into the soft snow. i was envious of their craft. indeed.

after a few runs i was having problems. the trenches were multiplying and i was bouncing out of the simplest skid turns. truth be told, i fell a few times. the ice below the snow was showing. the snow was turning brown in some locations.

the blue smerfs showed up. they suck. period. :AR15firin:flamethro they are a nihilistic lot that disobeys all common sense and defecates on our beloved mountain. their instantiation poses a threat to all those who take great pleasure carving in corduroy 100%.

the blue tards need re-education camp just how to queue up in the lift line. todays crime: they let two empty chairs go by because they were at the front of the line waiting for their tard-buddies while a long line was forming. :angryfire using my athletic prowess and brute force i skillfully pushed through the bourgeois crowd to secure my lift chair solo. shouldn't these people really be over at teachers pet learning chair etiquette? can't buck hill just take their money and make them go away? :eplus2:

the sight of their blue jackets with the vaporized skiier logos made it easier for me make my decision to leave early. if i had stayed i would have killed for it is written in their jammer manifesto that "he who is uphill always has the right of way" and "blessed is he who has more momentum and no skill".

i left early. i came home unharmed and rewarded myself with a nutritious snack.

high five.

in Park City. I doubt if they could have groomed again without scraping the last of the icey snow off the runs.

The good news is a big storm is moving through tonight.

BobD

Hey Bob, I actually saw part of your family last night. Claire was at our neighbor's house for a birthday party. Alyssa told us about your "babysitting" job. I'm sure it's hard work out there. ;)

i put on my soft boots and brought my hardboots just in case. the light was very flat. the snow was groomed but it was deceptive. it doesn't hold up too well. the skiiers were carving (or sinking) big trenches into the soft snow. i was envious of their craft. indeed.

after a few runs i was having problems. the trenches were multiplying and i was bouncing out of the simplest skid turns. truth be told, i fell a few times. the ice below the snow was showing. the snow was turning brown in some locations.

the blue smerfs showed up. they suck. period. :AR15firin:flamethro they are a nihilistic lot that disobeys all common sense and defecates on our beloved mountain. their instantiation poses a threat to all those who take great pleasure carving in corduroy 100%.

the blue tards need re-education camp just how to queue up in the lift line. todays crime: they let two empty chairs go by because they were at the front of the line waiting for their tard-buddies while a long line was forming. :angryfire using my athletic prowess and brute force i skillfully pushed through the bourgeois crowd to secure my lift chair solo. shouldn't these people really be over at teachers pet learning chair etiquette? can't buck hill just take their money and make them go away? :eplus2:

the sight of their blue jackets with the vaporized skiier logos made it easier for me make my decision to leave early. if i had stayed i would have killed for it is written in their jammer manifesto that "he who is uphill always has the right of way" and "blessed is he who has more momentum and no skill".

i left early. i came home unharmed and rewarded myself with a nutritious snack.

high five.

:lol:

Now that was frickin' funny.

Anyone been there recently???? We have 2 (yes that's 2) runs open at Steeplechase. Took my son out today and it sucked. Tried the FP 167 for a few runs then switched to softies. Did a few lessons, then tried to freeride a bit. Flew off the run, hit a tree, dislocated a shoulder, knocked myself out, hosed my knee up.........All in all it was a bad day!!! I think I'll take up knitting. :mad::mad::mad::mad:

kenton! dude, i hope you're kidding about the accident.

yes, i've been at welch a few times. most recently, yesterday. they've got a lot of runs open. the coverage is pretty good, the snow conditions vary by day. yesterday was like being on a snowcone; much like it was at afton today. it's rideable, if you watch out for the shallow areas, and the edges. but it's not really a lot of fun. but it probably beats knitting. :p

-trent

Bubba: Kenton- Oh no! :eek: I hate hearing about crashes.

Ouch! - Hope you can heal quickly.

I was at Welch today for the USASA Races.

Like Trent said - Conditions today were "Soft Sno-Cone", but sunny, and warm. Not really great for carving, though the weather was pretty nice...did see a couple free riders in T-Shirts. (If I were only free-riding, would have made one run, then left.. kinda like some of you did last week..)

The courses set on Dan's Dive were fast. Not terrible at first, but did get rough and chunked-up pretty quick. It was a smaller rider turn-out than previous years.. I imagine the crummy snow had a lot to do with it.

Going back to Welch tomorrow (Sun) for day 2.

~Karl

My shoulder is ok, got a concussion and couldn't walk last night (my knee looked like a baseball). Today is better, I can walk and bend the knee but the head hurts a bit (probably do to the Finnegans from last night). I think I'm going to break down and get a pass for Welch. At least they have more than 2 runs open. I'll probably hold off on the knitting for awhile.

today the runs were groomed on our beloved mother mountain. unfortunately the temps didn't get low enough to blow snow during the night. the runs were very fast. after awhile the snow turned to chunky crap. accoustics were very loud. lighting was another factor -- it was flat.

junior racing was going on so some runs were closed. it was crowded for a sunday but the lift lines were short.

buck has a new run. its not named and isn't on the map. probably because its only a couple meters long and spills out onto crossroads. its name is "orifice of perpetual misery". its next to all the coffins stacked up near olympic wet dream. those who carve will fear the orifice. those who ski like passing through it. the discharges from the orifice cut wide swaths across our fall lines. patience and good timing are key to surviving this menace. positively.

i miss the bulk hill public address message with the really groovy keyboard music. i haven't heard it yet this season. i wonder if its available on itunes?

ka-chow

i miss the bulk hill public address message with the really groovy keyboard music. i haven't heard it yet this season. i wonder if its available on itunes?

ka-chow

It's still there. We are all just lucky enough that several of the speakers were blown out due to a lightening strike over the summer.

Snow is being made right now! Should be great snow this week.

Ka-chigga.

Well the good news was 18inches of Utah champagne. The bad news was I suck at skiing powder, or maybe skiing powder sucks. Next time I'll take a free ride board.

BobD

I hate to tell you Bob, but the key is to go FAST!!!! You gotta get on top of it or it will really hand it to ya......

Good to hear evenyone is enjoying snow of one kind or another, we had 70 here yesterday. Got the dirt bike out......:eplus2:

There wasn't as big of an attendance as with other years, but

despite the challenging conditions, the race went very well.

Mostly comprised of G-Team members - though some of these newer team members

were very excited to be landing medals. Seemed to be more than the

usual buzz about "qualifying for nationals" this year.

(For those interested, I hear the rules have changed slightly this year regarding qualifying,

and "wildcards." - see book for details, as I will be doing the same.)

Courses were crunchy (LOUD) icy, challenging, and fast.

Each day incorporated a delay gate. SL had some rhythm changes,

GS on Sunday had a wicked left turn on Dan's Dive across and over

the knoll that kept the following gate hidden from view... until you were right on top of it. Wheee!!

One rider left with (I believe) a broken wrist. :( :( :(

He was not too happy as ski patrol transported him off the hill.

It reminded me to pull my own guards out of storage.

Troy is super-speedy, as usual. He took SL both days, I took GS.

All of our Alpine G-Team kids are showing big improvement this

season, and are becoming stronger/quicker racers.

Results will be posted on "The Alt" website

I'm starting off this week training a few new junior riders on Hard boots.

It's exciting to see the interest.

On Sat, I let our boardercross coach "Rich" demo one of my spare boards and

he took to carving very quickly.

Now that he has been "enlightened" to the wonders of alpine,

look for him on the slopes in the near future.

~Karl

....is that he and Troy stole the show.....and the money! :)

Great job to both in their coaching and riding.

Many people qualified this weekend for USASA Nationals. As Karl noted, "wildcards" may not be as plentiful as in previous years. A national ranking system seems geared towards truly bringing the best riders from across the country. Should be interesting.

I wish I had time for all of that stuff. 45 hrs a week engineering is a pain in the ass. Then I don't get home till quarter after 6.. Sit down and have a beer and relax for a couple mins. Then supper comes around 8.. Then it's too late to do much of anything. Gosh, it must be nice...

Sorry about the hijack there. I do enjoy reading the diary..

I wish I had time for all of that stuff... Gosh, it must be nice...

Pebu: Gosh, it must be nice working only 45 hrs a week.. :)

*I kidd, I kidd*

I'll also wager that as an Engineer, you get more than two weeks of

vacation a year? (Sorry..that's been a sore subject with me lately. :mad: )

Yeah...I suppose it can be tough. But whether it is, be it watersports or

watercolor, cooking, or carving, you HAVE to make time for the

things in life that you enjoy.

You've totally got time..

Skip the beer, pack a sandwich, and have someone record

"Grey's Anatomy" while you hit Caberfae for a couple runs right

after work. You're like, what, 25 minutes away?!

(Try to barter with work to come in early - leave early.)

MI Memory lane:

Is that tiny ski shop in Cadillac still in business?

"Pine Chata" or "Pine Chateau?" I almost bought my first real

board there...a "Burton Safari." - the Zebra topsheet would have totally matched my jacket.

Oh yeah! :biggthump

There was also a gas station across from The Pines bowling alley.

In front of this store/station lived a live caged bear.

Mr. Bear even had his own little tire swing. I'll bet that is long gone as well?

Cheers,

~Karl

went to our beloved mountain on the lake.

this season sucks. today the conditions completely sucked; flat light, very light fog, chunky fast snow, icy patches, and ski racing. it looked like they might've groomed but if they did the skiiers already had their way.

i left after three runs. maybe i'll go out later.

if anyone else goes tell me if you agree.