Dear Buck Hill Diary...

bobble

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

was going to meet trent at welch this morning. i had a bad feeling about it because it was either raining or sleeting. plus, i didn't sleep very well. trent called to call off boarding. i was in farmington and turned around.

thinking might go this evening when the lights are turmed on. hopefully the snow we'll be decent.

might even risk skateville.

Feb 24 - Hyland was "alright" at best... hardpack/ice under a layer of groomed sno-cone.

Just scaling the starting gate proved to be a challenge...then the temps dropped and the fluffy

flakes turned to bullets. Ouch! Almost sandblasted off the hill.

If we don't get at least a foot of snow tonight, I'm holding Keith Marler personally responsible...

Meteorologists's predictions! BAH! With their smoke n' mirrors ..

Don't know if I'll be out to Buck Sat am or not. Gotta nurse a rotator cuff back to health.

~K

I Can't Get No Satisfaction

went to buck at 9AM. it was still snowing. it looked like they groomed last night but there was alot of fresh snow. i brought my soft boots. going down crossroads was excruciatingly s l o w. there was a wind blowing up the hill and the deep snow was slow. i wasn't sure if i was having fun or not. seriously, after about one hour i was bored and almost went home.

Monkey See, Monkey Do

there was a ski race going on today. i saw some skiers carving which gave me the incentive to switch to hardboots. had my elan (163, 9M sidecut) in the car which i hadn't rode at all this year. felt strange riding it at first but it was handling the chop better than the other board. i could carve but due to the soft snow i stayed upright most of the time. i avoided touching the snow. visibility sucked but not a big deal with slow conditions. i was going down the hill much faster on my hardboots which made things at least a little more exciting.

Homey The Clown

i stayed till 11:30am then left. if anyone stayed home today then you didn't miss much.

Took the freeride out to Buck in the snow and wind. The wind sucked, but it would almost cover your tracks by the next run. I played park monkey for a while. I can still jam a little in the park, nothing to serious though. I think I'm going back in the morning, it will be the closest I get to POW this year.:biggthump

if you're looking for POW, you might want to hit afton instead. they leave a lot of their runs ungroomed when it snows. i was out last sunday, and the main big runs were all ungroomed. was able to have fresh tracks until about 10:30. good luck!

-trent

can't believe its march.

woke up to dig the driveway out. it was so bad that ms. bobble had to come help. we got a ton of snow! the end of the driveway was the worst in 10 years. walked around the house in knee-high snow. made me a snow angel. :ices_ange

i left for buck in sort of a hurry. i forgot my cellphone, wallet, hip pads, kneeguards. i don't know what i was thinking. got there at 10 am. the ticket office was a mad house. only two people. seemed that every parent had the same idea -- take kids to the hills and drop the off. took me 10 minutes to get a ticket.

i started on softboots. buck had groomed. the snow was different than last sunday. i think it was better. ran into karl. went looking for the freshies. it was fun over by powder ridge ( excuse me, :barf: ). it was fun floating on the snow. seemed like there were more people on the new chair lift than the main chair. that's gotta be a first.

karl left. i switched to hardboots. met paul, another hardbooter on plates. he was riding a wide winterstick and normally rides afton. riding crossroads on plates was a challenge. i didn't like it very much. milkrun was better but i would occasionally fall due to the soft snow.

in general, riding hardboots was better than riding softboots but i really wish i had an all mountain board for days like this.

post-1112-141842230102_thumb.jpg

scuff made a snow angel below the new chairlift where you unload. it was too much temptation for him to resist because the snow was fresh and no one was riding down it.

yes, i had mocked him. i said something like, "hey that's kinda gay". but not that it was a bad thing!

i must come out of the closet because i too had made 4 snow angels in my backyard.

thats a pretty good photoshop. :biggthump

I went out to Hyland yesterday with a couple of friends. Took out the softies but was wishing I had hardboots just because I like them so much more. on my 4th run down, I folded the nose and broke my 5th metatarsal in my left foot. Last year I broke the same bone but in my right foot and had to have surgery. So far, I'm trying to hold off on the surgery, but I'll just have to see what happens. There goes the rest of my season.

Power To The People

today was sunny. temp was around 15F - 20F. the runs were groomed for my prompt arrival at 9AM. when i got there the ticket office was overrun with p e o p l e paying with credit cards. in fact, the line started at the door! using my formidable Leapfrogger skills i cut my wait to just two people. it was pure sadistic pleasure to present my season pass to the doublemint twins with the full knowledge that i had beat the system! i was the 2nd person on the run and the first to carve tracks.

Not Feeling the Love

went down olympic dreams not realizing it was closed off. i saw joe d. going down it a few times. looked fun and thought i'd partake in the merriment. i went down the run having myself a good time when i noticed a blue snow fence stretched across the bottom of the run. i had a WTF moment, uttered an expletive, and slowed down to a stop. my first thought was that i, like a dumbass, blindly entered a race course that was in progress. i quickly looked up hill but no one was coming. then i saw the ski team coming up the rope tow with gates and the drill. they were just about to start to setting up gates. no one said anything to me as i slipped through the fence opening. bastages!

Happy Happy Joy Joy!!!

the snow was wee bit on the soft side but very carveable. not very fast. milkrun was good. crossroad was okay. spent some quality time on powder ridge.

i'll post videos sometime soon.

Went out this morning for a bit. The snow was soft when I got there and much softer when I left. The snow was slow, but carvable. By noon it was really slow. I went strait to Hoigards for high temp wax. I was riding a really soft board, which was key. My Donek would just dig in, much harder to ride.

The lifty said management plans on staying open until the 25th, but he didn't think they would make it. I hope to get a couple of more days in.