Dear Buck Hill Diary...

bobble

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Snow this evening was awesome. More good runs in an hour than all day at welch yesterday.

really? good to know. you can always count on the weather mid january to be cold. maybe i'll venture out friday evening. i was worthless today at work from yesterday.

i think my only complaint about Welch was all the large snow gun piles left on the runs. in particular Dan's Dive. even going down that easy green was not so fun. you'd think they'd groom it better.

really? good to know. you can always count on the weather mid january to be cold. maybe i'll venture out friday evening. i was worthless today at work from yesterday.

i think my only complaint about Welch was all the large snow gun piles left on the runs. in particular Dan's Dive. even going down that easy green was not so fun. you'd think they'd groom it better.

I was really riding like crap at Welch. The snow was pretty good, maybe just a little unpredictable at times. I was really lacking confidence on Wed.

I wish they'd move the terrain park to a different area, Lookout is such a great run for carving.

went out for only 2 runs. i didn't dress warm enough. the temp is about 5F. my face wasn't well protected as i thought against the snow guns. it was cold on the chair going thru the guns.

huge snow mounds out on the run. i'm talking VW micro-buses dumped on the hill towards the top. could be a problem.

i got too spoiled on the volkl.

i totally suck right now.

came out in the morning. it was cloudy. temp was 5F i believe. snow was good but i started to feel strange on the board so i went to re-adjust the bindings. found that i couldn't remove the binding so i went home. there was no use in fighting it.

bob d. was there in the morning.

went back in the evening. i must say that this night was unequivocally the BEST snow i've been on this season!!! :biggthump i should sleep good tonite.

i had increased heel lift from 3 to 6 degrees and added a 2 degree cant. i think i'm closer to getting it right.

karl and jesse were there. and so was the guy on an alpine board with ski poles.

decepticons rule!

Snow was great, and the giant rollers kept carving interesting.

The NASTAR course was really quite fun. Fast and turny but held an edge.

Thanks Dave! Getting a "9" must be a good thing! Because of it, the

nice lady at the desk gave me a shiny gold pin! (Reading about handicap system now.)

Maybe I'll do some more of these Buck Hill races, and in time I too can

join the brotherhood of the "NASTAR Knights in Tights."

I invited that guy to ditch his ski poles and come board with us some

Sunday. He seems nice, but after seeing some of his falls, the

(ski-poles + alpine board) combination kinda scared me.

Okay.. *really* scares me.. :eek: Somebody alert OSHA.

autobots.gif

Autobots Rock.

I invited that guy to ditch his ski poles and come board with us some

Sunday. He seems nice, but after seeing some of his falls, the

(ski-poles + alpine board) combination kinda scared me.

Okay.. *really* scares me.. :eek: Somebody alert OSHA.

he scared me just for the fact he didn't yield. as i started my run he would start his. i started going after him. ski poles were another deterrent.

for some reason the alpine board, ski poles, uni-suit makes me think of some cigarette advertisement like "welcome to marlboro country".

smoke'm if you got them.

life is good, indeed

I saw a board instruction video some years back where this dude put some people (no experience) on alpine boards with ski poles. He used blocks of varying heights that they held onto to learn body/board balance etc. The blocks kept getting smaller and by the end of the day they were carving pretty well..........with ski poles.

Haven't seen him for a while. He's always ignored us in the past. He looks like he meant to buy a monoboard, but bought an alpine by mistake.

BobD

yes, that would be him. he initiated talking to us. he even waited at the bottom to ride the chair. he's actually pretty good, but the ski poles???

today, buck was most excellent. the high today was about 15F. i was having a blast. i didn't want to leave but i was so frickn' hungry and tired. i left at 1:15pm.

a few people were asking about our boards today.

re: the 3D camera. i've been playing around with taking stereograms or 3D pictures using a small digital camera. i built that rig for 3D action shots. i honestly don't know how well this will turn out because i don't know much about film SLR cameras. last time i tried this on trent it didn't work very well because i wasn't close enough to him. today, the lighting had changed between runs. i might have overexposed pictures. oh well. if i can get just one shot to work, i'll consider it a success. once i get the photos i'll explain viewing.

karl, next time i'll photograph your wall of snow.

Lots of good slope gouging today! Nobody even asked the usual: " what is that, a ski-board?" question today. ( My usuall response is yes, I ride it that there u-pike over yonder) I'm exited to see the pics Bob but I am bummed that I did not stop to check out your camera setup up close, that looks pretty damned cool. By next week I want to see you doing chase cam with two video cams rigged up in simmilar configuration. love tom

Snow was great today, and the sunshine was an added bonus too.

Bobble: I've honestly never had much luck seeing Stereograms,

(either the "Magic Eye" kind, or the parallel photo kind) but found

some examples today that worked very well for me: (Gear ,Mountains)

Had to cross my eyes for a bit, but the results are really cool!

Can't wait to see the results from your 3D photoshoot!

Hey - Just a thought, I bet you could pick up a "Stereoscope " off e-bay or find a

"Viewmaster " for super-cheap!

Trent: Thanks for letting me borrow your Völkl. It's way cool even with the Flows. :)

Snow was great today, and the sunshine was an added bonus too.

Bobble: I've honestly never had much luck seeing Stereograms,

(either the "Magic Eye" kind, or the parallel photo kind) but found

some examples today that worked very well for me: (Gear ,Mountains)

Had to cross my eyes for a bit, but the results are really cool!

Can't wait to see the results from your 3D photoshoot!

Hey - Just a thought, I bet you could pick up a "Stereoscope " off e-bay or find a

"Viewmaster " for super-cheap!

i bought a cheapo plastic 3d camera from loreo. problem is it splits a 35mm frame in half so it reduces the viewable image. there are 3d attachments for SLR cameras that do the same thing as the loreo. the quality isn't great. the viewers for those cameras have plastic lenses. they magnify the image but there's this strange chromatic distortion that i don't like about them.

those magic eye books are hard. when you have 3d images of real things as opposed to little dots its easier for your eyes to properly cross to get the 3d effect. whats really strange is if you mix up the left and the right image and try to view it. its like looking into an inverted mold -- the backfground is in the foreground and vice versa. its easy to mistake it as 3d but when you swap the images then it really stands out as being true 3d.

the 3d pictures of the gears and mountain scene could've been done on a single camera. i like the mountain one, the trees really stand out. with digital cameras its so frickn' cheap just to take 2 pictures side by side and make 3d pictures.

yeah, i hope they do turn out too.

i don't have digital copies yet but some of the pictures turned out fairly decent. not quite ready for prime time but i'll get better at it. there were some technical problems that i think could've been my error. on a couple pictures the cameras didn't fire simultaneously. i think it was the autofocus didn't lock in quick enough. these cameras lock on contrasting colors or brightness. the snow probably threw it off.

next time i do this i'll throw a glove out on the run to mark the spot where i'll take the picture. some pictures the subject was a little too far away. i had a picture of jesse partially out of frame that was technically too close (about 6 ft) but its really cool. karl, you need some neon colors. that SR-71 blackbird outfit is too dark.

right now i'm using a 3D viewer to look at them. i'm hoping when i get these converted to jpgs that i'll be able to zoom in and crop the images for easier viewing.

a bunch of photos have my shadow in it. duh!

its going to take me a few days.

went in the evening till about 8:30pm. it was about 4 degrees. ski races were going on but the hill was fairly empty. snow was great but a little slow.

met this really hot chick on the lift. she had pink hair, green eyes, and a non anatomically correct figure. i introduced myself and told her my name is todd. she said her name was erin. we exchanged pleasantries for awhile but then she started talking about car insurance. for some inexplicable reason she bolted from the chairlift midway up our majestic mountain, jumped into a really swank looking car parked on milkrun, and drove off. i never saw her again.

LL Cool J

post-1112-141842225395_thumb.jpg

Are you just supposed to stare at the two pics to see them in 3D? I don't seem to be able to do it. :freak3: Action shots would be sweat.

yes, there are two ways of "freeviewing" stereograms. it depends on how the images were joined together. i'll put together both types. one is where you cross your eyes. the other is called parallel viewing and is a little harder to master - you look past the images past your screen. in both methods you'll end up seeing a third image. thats where you focus your attention. eventually your brain locks in on this virtual image and then things start to stand out.

some people have difficulty seeing 3d stereograms.

i'll be picking up the cds tonite. i'm hoping that i can zoom/crop the images to get better stereograms.