Note to New Members ×

Worst Song ever...

tex1230

:AR15firin Ever have a song that you just can't get out of your head? It just happenned to me...(Thanks, Barry)

Ice Ice Baby is up there...

I think the worst is Helen Reddy's "i am Woman"

Kajagoogoo's "too shy"

and now some car company is running ads with "I can see clearly now the rain is gone"...and my boss (sitting right next to me) keeps humming it...I think I'm gonna nibble on the barrel of a shotgun soon. :AR15firin

(edit: yes, I stole the thread idea from TGR but it got good responses there...)

Funny - CNN just compiled a list of the worst songs ever. Bobby Goldsboro's "Honey" got the top honors.

Check it out at:

http://www.cnn.com/2006/SHOWBIZ/Music/04/21/worst.songs.comments/index.html

A couple of years ago I compiled a CD of the worst Christmas songs ever. A strong contender there was John Denver's "Please Daddy Don't Get Drunk This Christmas".

Clearly none of you have heard "Cameltoe" that played on popular radio stations about two or three years back. It is the worst song ever, title, meaning, melody, vocals, instrumentals, all terrible. Of course, people loved it. ahh, the joys of modern music.

Jon: That's funny. Erik: Agreed! I actually ended up with a KISS LP in a stack of radio station promos once and it was just awful-sounding, like a garage band that somehow had access to a first-class studio for a day.

Nothing compares to the crap we had to endure in the mid 70's. Imagine having no CD or even a cassette player, and every time you turned on the radio you heard garbage like Hot Child in the City, or Billy Don't be a Hero, or worst of all, something like Rick Dees and his stupid Disco Duck song:

Went to a party the other night

All the ladies were treating me right

Moving my feet to the disco beat

How in the world could I keep my seat

All of a sudden I began to change

I was on the dance floor acting strange

Flapping my arms I began to cluck

Look at me..

I'm the disco duck

Ah, get down, mama

I've got to have me a woman, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha

Disco, disco duck

Got to have me a woman :barf:

It was a horrible time to be a teenager. It's no wonder we started liking bands like the Stooges in the late 70's.

There was a song about 10 - 12 years ago called "radar gun" by some one hit wonder band. The song is sung in "first person" and tells of a police officer's affection for pulling people over with his radar gun. The music was horribly cheesy and the singing was god-awful. It was played every day for about 9 months. Everyone I knew hated it. That song still leaves a bitter drip in the back of my brain.

OK found the name of the band - the Bottlerockets

here's the lyrics:barf: :barf: :barf: :barf: :barf: :barf:

<TABLE id=song_txt cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top align=left>

"Straight from 12th grade into junior college

Buddy, buddy, buddy I passed my exam

They’re making me a law enforcement person

Got me a gun and a badge, I’m a man

Radar Gun, Radar Gun

43 from where I was sittin’

30 miles an hour is the law of our land

Please remove your license, find your registration

And what is the name of your insurance man?

Radar Gun, Radar Gun

I’m makin’ money and I’m havin’ fun with my

Radar Gun, Radar Gun

With my brand new Radar Gun

You know our Sheriff William Buckburger

Says our mayor’s got a master plan

A new post gun meets the cost of livin'

And one of them stoplights down on Grand

Radar Gun, Radar Gun

I’m makin’ money and I’m havin’ fun with myR

adar Gun, Radar Gun

Schedule 19 on a special election

Got our money problems right in hand

Droppin’ them limits like a hot potato5

0 down to 30 oh man, oh man

Radar Gun, Radar Gun

I’m makin’ money and I’m havin’ fun with my

Radar Gun, Radar Gun

Brand new shiny Simmons Radar Gun

Me and my partner go patrol car crusin’

on the parking lots at the shopping malls

Scanning those dashes, those mirrors and visors,

the little detectors that ruin it all

Johnny got one on an ’86 T-bird,

Pull up slow just as close as I can

Milli-watt seconds on maximum output,

We’ll dust that puppy with one small blast from my

Radar Gun, Radar GunI

’m makin’ money and I’m havin’ fun with my

Radar Gun, Radar Gun

With my brand new Radar Gun"

</PRE>

</PRE>

:barf:

</PRE>

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></P>

NO, NO, NO, No........

You guys have missed the boat....first off, the worse song ever written HAS to come from the 70's........

Those of you who were teenagers trying to rock KNOW what I'm talking about.....

My vote for the worse song is..."Afternoon Delight" by the Starlight Vocal Band.....

They were even talking about it on "The Sportbash" on ESPN radio yesterday afternoon...

Although, "Honey" is also wretched, at least Bobby Goldsboro gets a pass from me because he was so hunky......

I thought it was the starland vocal band.

oh well

"Floating like the heavens above, looks like muskrat loooove........."

Can't forget the "Captain and Tennile" for that witty little ditty. :barf::barf::barf:

The mid 70's am radio was a gold mine for such awful schlock

it still gives me nightmares :( :( :(

mario

NO, NO, NO, No........

You guys have missed the boat....first off, the worse song ever written HAS to come from the 70's........

Those of you who were teenagers trying to rock KNOW what I'm talking about.....

My favorite music is prog rock fromt he 70s. Probably I don't know the bad from this era (I'm 29).

My vote for the worse song is..."Afternoon Delight" by the Starlight Vocal Band.....

Reminds me of a scene of the movie PCU (for those who know it).

oh well

Can't forget the "Captain and Tennile" for that witty little ditty. :barf::barf::barf:

mario

I think you maybe right about the band...the first thing I typed was "Starland" but then it didn't look right.....

Only in the 70's, could you hear a Foghat song, next to a disco song, next to a Captain and Tenille song.....

But "Love will keep us together"...

Agreed that the 70's was just tragic. My parents had all these compliation LP's from the 70's (you know the ones they bring out evey couple of months - but these are on vinyl) and they are truly awful. My brother and I used to play them for a laugh. My parents used to play them at parties. And still do. :barf:

And any decade that spawned Rod Stewart can never be good.

Agreed that the 70's was just tragic. My parents had all these compliation LP's from the 70's (you know the ones they bring out evey couple of months - but these are on vinyl) and they are truly awful. My brother and I used to play them for a laugh. My parents used to play them at parties. And still do. :barf:

Yeah, but Rush, Black Sabbath, Deep Purple, Led Zeppelin, and Yes all put out some amazing stuff in the '70's. You have to take the bad with the good. I still listen to '70's Rush and Sabbath several times a week at work, wouldn't miss it. And I was *born* in 1970!

oh well

mario

What???? No "Living on a Prayer" on your list??? I knew you really were a closet Bon Jovi fan!!! :1luvu:

You just pretend to be an old school, hardcore punk rocker!

:boxing_sm

:D

What???? No "Living on a Prayer" on your list??? I knew you really were a closet Bon Jovi fan!!! :1luvu:

You just pretend to be an old school, hardcore punk rocker!

:boxing_sm

:D

:nono:

Someone looking to die?

possibly tomorrow?

mario

My parents subjected us to "Catch a Falling Star", Love and Marriage", Surry with a Fringe on Top", Papa Loves Mambo and anything by Mario Lanza.

Yeah, but Rush, Black Sabbath, Deep Purple, Led Zeppelin, and Yes all put out some amazing stuff in the '70's. You have to take the bad with the good. I still listen to '70's Rush and Sabbath several times a week at work, wouldn't miss it. And I was *born* in 1970!

Yikes! I was married in the 60s!! Actually I still am but I had 8 years off for good behavior....

ELP, too. Pink Floyd anyone?

70s POP music was BAD, but there was plenty more. Ive heard some badass disco before, too, and what about the funk bands?

I realize that the 70's produced some of the greatest rock ever and it would have been truly great if it was just played like the classic stations play it now, but as I said, the greatness of Zep, played along side "Disco Duck" was the hallmark of 70's FM radio....

And early 70's....Beatles played right next to Bobby Goldsboro on your AM dial...

And don't forget Bread, baby I'ma want you, baby, I'ma need you.....

I have to share this with you. 40+ years ago I was home from college on summer break and a friend suggested that we go to a concert in the old Griffiths Stadium in DC (later became RFK Stadium). I balked because tickets were about $2 (steep then) and a beer set you back 75 cents. Eventually my pursuasive friend won out and I attended my very first concert - The Beatles!

Opening act was Cyrkle (remember "Red Rubber Ball"?)

I was sitting in the third row back behind the third base dugout. The Beatles were on a raised platform on second base surrounded by cops. Cops extended from home plate all the way to the outfield. Suddenly, a guy sitting in front of me jumped on top of the dugout and leaped over the heads of the cops and bolted for second base. All the cops out there were looking at the Beatles and not paying attention to the intruder. He easily slipped through the cordon and jumped up on to the platform. Unfazed, each of the Beatles shook hands with him without missing a beat. He ran and dove with arms outstretched into the waiting hands of a hundred of DC's finest. According to the next day's Washington Post, he was released with nothing more than a slap on the wrist. Like everyone else in the stands I remember thinking "Why didn't I do that!". I bet he's retold that story every day since.

Any (hit) song from Nickelback.

http://nickelbacksucks.tribe.net/

http://www.somethingawful.com/articles.php?a=3520

One could defend Nickelback, I suppose, by saying “who cares what their commercial motivations may be? They’re writing songs of uncomplicated universal appeal that really speak to their broad base of listeners.” No, **** that. They’re making a mockery of rock and roll, they’re dumbing down the public perception of art, and Chad Kroeger has a really stupid haircut. Not forgiven.

:flamethro

hows about the worst time to sing a song?? My oldest step-daughter was stopped a while back for speeding, and the two younger ones (8-10yrs.) piped up with "I shot the sheriff"...... anyone wanna guess who got a ticket?

Actually when I saw once a police car standing on a parking lot in Vermont and appareently waiting for some action I had that itch to pull up closer open a window and put "I Shot The Sheriff" a bit louder. I do not think they could give me a ticket as long as I was not obscuring their view. Private parking lots are no the best for police officers to perform their duties and you could mock those guys this way to find a better place.