Note to New Members ×

Mountain Slope Boots

Riccardo

I am on my second season with the boots and I like it. I always wanted to buy the northwave 950 so I jumped on it. It is easy to adjust the lean, can’t, and springs. Also it is easy to go in and out. Boots keep very similar flex from cold to warm temperature.

BUT, I don’t think I would have bought the boots if I were to go back in time. Only reason is the price. Is it worth paying 2 or 3x the price of other boots? I am not sure but I like it, LoL

If the price to UPZ or Deeluxe then I would pick MS for sure though.

Edited by yamifumi
  • Like 1

Thanks so much Slapos!

Sorry you feel the price is too high yamifumi. However, the boots don't cost more than the high end plates or boards.

You can also buy lower end plates and boards., right?

The biggest reason for the higher cost (besides the unebelievably high cost of moulds we invested just to produce the boots) is the cost of the plastic. Our boots are Grilamid, which costs 3-4x more than the other boots on the market. Also the lightest (especially with the new liner)🤗

It's only the 2nd year on the market so it will take awhile for word to get and to get a network of shops. When we can produce more, we can lower the cost.

I'm grateful we decided to do the project and I'm also grateful for the support you guys give us. 

We couldn't do it without you guys! We also try our best to answer whatever questions you may have with a setup best fit for you.

So if you ever have questions, just let us know.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I guess it's only worth it if you value that kinda stuff though.

I was in a weird position where I'd tried softboots and hated them so instead I wanted to simultaneously stiffen my RC10 to RC10R for carving and also have a tongue and spring to soften them for powder days. Then I'd have to do the ol' switcheroo for diff conditions.

It wasn't that much more expensive to just get the MS boots. With help from @Puhutes, and from seeing rider feedback from @yamifumi and @slapos regarding stiffness of the standard version (I think they both stiffened theirs), I went for the WC version and am using the medium spring with little pretension.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, daveo said:

I guess it's only worth it if you value that kinda stuff though.

I was in a weird position where I'd tried softboots and hated them so instead I wanted to simultaneously stiffen my RC10 to RC10R for carving and also have a tongue and spring to soften them for powder days. Then I'd have to do the ol' switcheroo for diff conditions.

It wasn't that much more expensive to just get the MS boots. With help from @Puhutes, and from seeing rider feedback from @yamifumi and @slapos regarding stiffness of the standard version (I think they both stiffened theirs), I went for the WC version and am using the medium spring with little pretension.

Did you know that Deeluxe has now combined some kind of softboot and hardboot together with a hard binding? 🏂

They had it on display at the ISPO in Beijing last week... Not sure how that will be but it is another option for free carvers who maybe prefer a harder setup. Honestly, I think I'd like to check it out while at ISPO in 2 weeks. We will be there too if anyone is attending. 

We are in Building B5 and booth 454 🤗

image.png.2d6f35517f5d1ba96cbac4f711aebe89.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

I like that idea for all mountain and powder.  Possibly relaxed carving.

Now just design a step-in without the lateral rigidity of INTEC/FINTEC and I'll be throwing dollars at them!

Kemper boots from the late 80's had this idea.  With enough straps and duct tape you could make them work but they didn't last long.  The lower shell edge ate liners...

Edited by Rusty Edges

1 minute ago, Rusty Edges said:

I like that idea for all mountain and powder.  Possibly relaxed carving.

Now just design a step-in without the lateral rigidity of INTEC/FINTEC and I'll be throwing dollars at them!

You can put a step in bloc on an F2 Carve RS if you're not a big/heavy person. Super flexible... low on the lateral rigidity scale.

39 minutes ago, lonbordin said:

You can put a step in bloc on an F2 Carve RS if you're not a big/heavy person. Super flexible... low on the lateral rigidity scale.

Yeah, you can, and I've ridden one on a borrowed board. I bet a lighter rider would enjoy it but at 105kg it scared me half to death - I could feel the thing flexing in every dimension, even more than a Burton with a plastic disk.

I would really love a boot which I could move from skis to board and back, which those Deeluxe look like they could do.

6 hours ago, Puhutes said:

Did you know that Deeluxe has now combined some kind of softboot and hardboot together with a hard binding? 🏂

They had it on display at the ISPO in Beijing last week... image.png.2d6f35517f5d1ba96cbac4f711aebe89.png

Cool, WTF!

I was there at ISPO Beijing! How the friggidy fudge did I miss it???!!

But what about side stiffness? Wasn't it kinda the consensus that putting pressure sideways on softboot is dangerous? Since they can, well, fold sideways, with ankles in it and all..... 

While riding at SG camp, all the riders and SG himself told me to not go over 30 degrees because of how much pressure would go sideways on the softboot, which encouraged me more to pick up a hard setup this season

25 minutes ago, pauleleven said:

Cool, WTF!

But what about side stiffness? Wasn't it kinda the consensus that putting pressure sideways on softboot is dangerous? Since they can, well, fold sideways, with ankles in it and all..... 

While riding at SG camp, all the riders and SG himself told me to not go over 30 degrees because of how much pressure would go sideways on the softboot, which encouraged me more to pick up a hard setup this season

You were at the ISPO in Beijing? Cool! Are you going to come and visit us at ISPO in Munich? (B5/454)😂

I only know about it because it was posted on Instagram and we looked a bit more into it.

I honestly have no idea how they will be, but it would be pretty cool to see them. Hopefully they'll have them in Munich as well.

Greetings Jennifer

2 minutes ago, Puhutes said:

You were at the ISPO in Beijing? Cool! Are you going to come and visit us at ISPO in Munich? (B5/454)😂

It would be very hard to visit the other ISPO.... I do know some people who might be going tho...

It's almost easier to visit you in Switzerland, hmmmmmm 

2 hours ago, pauleleven said:

Cool, WTF!

@pauleleven

I’m curious about your 30 degree remark...Are you suggesting soft boot riders should not ride angles 30 degrees or more?  

@Puhutes,

Cannot thank you enough for answering all the questions I’ve thrown at you lately.  

Randy

• Like 1

20 hours ago, yamifumi said:

Nothing else. I think there was auto correct and meant “if the price of MS is same as UPZ or Deeluxe then I would choose MS for sure”.

Meaning ... MS is definitely better than others for my comfort and ease.

I for 1 thank you for your feedback!

27 minutes ago, Randy Kight said:

I’m curious about your 30 degree remark...Are you suggesting soft boot riders should not ride angles 30 degrees or more?  

Softboots and softboots bindings, by and large, are not desgined with lateral stiffness in mind.  At ~30+ degrees or so your moving from predominant toe heel pressure to more pressure on the sides of the boot/bindings and they are not desgined for these forces.  There are ways around this (locked highbacks with a 3rd strap for example) but this isn't what the typical softboots system was designed for...

From what I understand you start to lose pressure from 27 on the front and 15 on the rear.

Can't remember where I know those numbers from but angles that shallow felt horrible and incredibly uncomfortable to me when I tried it last year. I incrementally went up to 36/24 and was more comfortable but sure can feel less pressure no doubt. Then I realised softboots are not for me.

13 minutes ago, daveo said:

From what I understand you start to lose pressure from 27 on the front and 15 on the rear.

If my feeble memory isn't playing tricks on me I think the subject of this video stated that he was riding 30/18 at the time.  Seems to be doing A-Ok....

Gabe rips. 'nuff said.

• Like 1