Note to New Members ×

Weird question re: olympic short track speed skating

Guest dudleydudley

Guest dudleydudley

Is anyone watching this right now? They are breaking down the technique of the Korean skater and how he takes corners. I am wondering, is there something that we as carvers can take away from this? They were commenting on how low he gets and uses that to maintain speed through the turns and how still his shoulders are. Just curious.

I know the body positions between skating and snowboarding are completely different.

Been watching it!! womens relay! can't help but rooting for our north american partners.. Hope they feel the same way... GOOO Canadia! Nice short track relay!

With these two powers can't believe we can't dominate! Not being arrogant just cheering thats all.... No more football!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Been fun to watch ...until that figure skating comes on!!

I Wonder if we all email NBC a boat all der da low coverage on alpine we could not get attention.. could someone organize a link to where to give comments about the alpine coverage on Alpine? we gotta be 1000 strong?

then again only 1 event in the olympics? how does that happen. no Slalom, no Big GS or other... if its only one event.. then why should any even notice.. well no money in it.. not like all the Half pipe and stuff.

Was it our fault this has happened..?

I care a little bit cause I want to watch it..and maybe it would help..

But Im not resting my lorals on it... just would be nice..

The flip side.. if everone did alpine...then what...With it being such a pain to get equipment and what not...I don't think it will go away when we pay high dollar and there is company's willing to sell it to us for $2000 a board someone is going to do it.. **** if it comes to that I'll make em for ya....hehe

Neeed the happy medium...

Guess Im just dissapointed not to see more.. like the rest...

They give a 20 minute dissertation on a skater.. I don't mind if they did Philliop and Simon that would have been great.. and people would learn more.

the fact is US are skate and surfboarders and they crame it down the our througts. Not know there is anything else out there..

But on the Positive side.. at least for me..even with all the questions it is a fun thing to be apart of a sport that not many know about... just enough now...to keep it going..

If that stops Im sure some one will make me something out of their garage. like say in toronto?

heres a sneak peak....Want more?

Right Said Shred

post-186-141842215578_thumb.jpg

Is anyone watching this right now? They are breaking down the technique of the Korean skater and how he takes corners. I am wondering, is there something that we as carvers can take away from this? They were commenting on how low he gets and uses that to maintain speed through the turns and how still his shoulders are. Just curious.

I know the body positions between skating and snowboarding are completely different.

Skaters don't angulate like snowboarders. They are leaning well into the turn. If we leaned like that, we would skid out. We don't have the edge hold of a pair of sharp skates.

Shred, I hate to tell you this but *most* Canadians root against the U.S. It's an unpleasant truth. That's the domain of being the global 1000 pound gorilla - everyone hopes you lose.

I love watching the short track, it makes me all nostalgic. I roller skated competitively for years as a teenager, and short track was awesome. Fast, physical and rough and tumble, and you get to be pretty expert in the dirty tricks department! I dunno what it would be like on ice blades though, you'd likely lose fingers instead of just having them squashed...

Road racing was better though, apart from the rash you got when you cratered.

Guest dudleydudley
I love watching the short track, it makes me all nostalgic. I roller skated competitively for years as a teenager, and short track was awesome. Fast, physical and rough and tumble, and you get to be pretty expert in the dirty tricks department! I dunno what it would be like on ice blades though, you'd likely lose fingers instead of just having them squashed...

Road racing was better though, apart from the rash you got when you cratered.

They had short track roller skating? And it wasn't called "roller derby?"

Road racing was better in the dirty tricks department, but cyclocross beats that.

Inclination is king. I am still a little shaky with the whole meaning of the two terms, but if I have it right, I don't angulate at all.

Going back to skategoats comments. I lean my body into every turn. Once you get comfortable selling out your entire body into a turn, you'll never angulate again. The only time I feel myself angulating is when I am uncomfortable with the conditions. As soon as that happens the board gets squirrelly, and I can feel the board trying to kick me out.

My body when riding is very much like that of a speedskater. You can also watch a skier who knows how to carve. Granted they have a lifeline to grab on to, (outside ski), but when they are truly carving the edge, they have a very linear body position. they don't stick there but towards the ground, and they keep there shoulders near parallel to the effective edge. They're body is linearally positioned above the edge. Look at the pictures I attached, our body position is very closely related. I think snowboarding needs to look into what already works.

Poeple have learned to ride like the people they see on tv, and people who supposely know what there doing. Those techniques just don't make sense to me. There is a reason why certain things work. I know most boarders are taught to keep there shoulders square and level in both turns. Personally I think they are wrong.

Now, I'm not saying everyone needs to ride like me, I just think that people are missing out on feeling much more comfortable, as well as moving there riding to a new level. Maybe if we all rode through gates every run, angulation is the way to go, but as far as riding a mountain, inclination needs to be looked into more. The more body you keep directly above the board the better.

post-1234-141842215598_thumb.jpg

post-1234-1418422156_thumb.jpg

Fluff:

I find that if I try to lean into the snow like your first pic, it is very unforgiving. Yes, on hero snow, it works. But, throw in a few bumps, ice or hard pack and I either skid out or slam onto my hip. As soon as I angle my body back across the board, my riding improves tremendously. I'm now even trying to grab my board (although I don't have near enough the flexibility to actually touch it) with my outside hand to get my weight in the right place. We all have our own styles but that's what works for me. If I try to lean, I am in trouble.

Henry

I'm not a speedskater, more a hockey skater, but i'd say there aren;t too many similarities between speedskating and hardbooting other than we both inclinate. but, as in snowboarding, sharp metal under your feet is key.

now why are they interrupting women';s pgs to show me figure skating???????