Note to New Members ×

Olympic Men's PGS Tonight!

Jack M

...I don't don't if it's me, but they seem to have much less chatter and ride much more smoothly than they 5-10 years ago because of the new boards.

Yeah, I thought the same thing, but then I don't see that much racing, so I'm very far from an expert.

Was the course particularly easy, is the equipment getting better, or are the riders getting better?

And in Australia we got to see a good 15 minutes or so - not too bad.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I missed it and I'm PISSED OFF! HEY NBC, F**K YOU! ARRRRRRGGGGGGGGG!!!!!!!!!!!!!

anyone tape it?

I HATE NBC I HATE NBC I HATE NBC I HATE NBC I HATE NBC I HATE NBC I HATE NBC I HATE NBC I HATE NBC I HATE NBC I HATE NBC I HATE NBC I HATE NBC I HATE NBC I HATE NBC I HATE NBC :AR15firin:AR15firin:AR15firin:AR15firin:AR15firin:AR15firin:AR15firin:AR15firin:AR15firin

Not quite as eloquently put as you did but I feel your pain

I missed it too.

While we are talking about the damm Tv. When they were running halfpipe did those guys look solarized to anyone? Kind of frosty white glowing around the edges. Or is my set ready to blow. Looked like a clipping or high gain issue only on their broadcast.

The half pipe was WAY out of balance. Whoever did the cameras for that should just be shot. I wondered if they have ever heard of "White Balance". It wasn't your TV.

Isnt it a bit funny that they'll show 4 rounds of Curling, the ENTIRE X-C Races, endless short track, and Then more curling, but they only show 10 minutes of PGS, 20 minutes of Slalom, 20 minutes of Downhill, ect. They should have seperate channels for each event. I mean, I have Comcast Digital, and we have like...20 NBA channels, 15 NHL Channels and god only knows how many NASCAR channels. Can't NBC SHARE their exclusive coverage with the cable and satellite companies so that the paying customers can watch the events that they want to watch? I would much rather have a Channel that just shows Ski and Snowboard Racing than have 5 hours of curling and 20 minutes of Racing. They could even have a Curling channel!

________

VERMONT MARIJUANA DISPENSARY

Yeah, I thought the same thing, but then I don't see that much racing, so I'm very far from an expert.

Was the course particularly easy, is the equipment getting better, or are the riders getting better?

I used to watch more racing when 5-10 years ago, when it was more popular (and when I had cable). Back then it was Ross Rebagliati, Martin Freinadametz and others.

Jasey Jay said the course had some flats, but from what I know, courses get icy fast, whatever the inclination.

hihi in Austrian television they pretty much showed the whole SBX and PGS including say 80% off the qualifiers. I really didn't get how Bozetto snapped two binders - but they didn't look like F2 standard binders.

The new Hangl-Plate on Schochs and Sigis board is somehow crazy too - I know -Sigi was the first one on that Hangl plates - seems others are enjoying it too by now.

I just opened an email alert from NBColympics.com. At 4:30 am they sent me an email saying the Women's PGS was scheduled for 5:00 am, just 30 minutes later!!

It is still scheduled for 4-5 pm.

It looks like they have deleted coverage from Thursday primetime, 8pm-11pm and moved the finals earlier to 4-5 pm and taken the semifinals from 4-5pm and moved them earlier to 5am.

How many people are reading their email at 4:30 am?

But of course, the stunning amount of Curling coverage continues!!! Some times with different elims on 2 channels at the same time!

BRICKY

re:

I HATE NBC I HATE NBC I HATE NBC I HATE NBC I HATE NBC I HATE NBC I HATE NBC I HATE NBC I HATE NBC I HATE NBC I HATE NBC I HATE NBC I HATE NBC I HATE NBC I HATE NBC I HATE NBC

I just checked the website for yesterday's PGS videos and for a moment I thought they had it. No of course it's footage from 2002...

http://www.nbcolympics.com/snowboarding_m_pgs/index.html

I'm very dissapointed in the coverage, man just the semi's and finals :mad::mad:

You got to see the semi's?!! All I saw was the two gold metal races, and the second bronze race! How pathetic. All the hype about snowboarding being in the olympics, and that's all we get to see!!!

On the brighter side, at least they followed PGS with other exciting Alpine events (and speed skating), and not another hour+ of figure skating. :barf: Something tells me thats why Women's PGS may be getting bumped out of tonight's prime time slot.

re:

I HATE NBC I HATE NBC I HATE NBC I HATE NBC I HATE NBC I HATE NBC I HATE NBC I HATE NBC I HATE NBC I HATE NBC I HATE NBC I HATE NBC I HATE NBC I HATE NBC I HATE NBC I HATE NBC

I just checked the website for yesterday's PGS videos and for a moment I thought they had it. No of course it's footage from 2002...

That was SOOOOOOO WEAK. I got annoyed when they kept saying"coming up..blah blah" and no pgs. fell asleep and woke up bummed that i missed it...or not. Anyone tape the 4;00 broadcast?

re:

They actually do have some clips from this year at that link - including Jewell's runs

Let's be honest - to the average Joe, PGS is pretty boring. Especially compared to SBX and HP. For that matter, the ski races are also pretty boring except for DH. Tomorrow, I guarantee there will be zero water cooler talk about the snowboard parallel giant slalom. Initiate the conversation yourself and you'll just get a funny look.

Let's be honest - to the average Joe, PGS is pretty boring. Especially compared to SBX and HP.

Living in denial. Snowboard racing is much more fun to watch than a wanna be bank robber flipping 7/9/10 whatever. If you like that kind of thing great :eplus2:., but the real goods are one person, one edge at a time, rail to rail.............. arghhh what the heck is the world coming to.

The thing that bugs me is that I remember being told that they switched to parallel gs because it was more viewer friendly. I don't think that its true and from the lack of coverage in the media and the general feeling around here NBC didn't do a great job. NBC paid $613 million for rights to these games and would love everybody to watch snowboarding as if it were american idol to boost their ratings. If americans had a chance at the medals or made it to the finals then there might be the ability to grab joe (or jane) six packs interest for half an hour. When the final comes down to swiss brothers it becomes just a sidenote.

I don't think that PGS has been good for the sport of alpine snowboarding in North America.

*edit I think I'm just sore because Jasey Jay was 20th or something

Hey guys, NBC may have only shown 2 runs of the women's PGS and 3 of the men's, but look on the bright side: we did get 20 minutes of coverage of the women's figure skating warmup.

Which brings up another point. With an event like PGS Snowboarding, you have to see it live for it to be a real draw. If you already know the result or if the network ruins it for you by *not* telecasting live (which means, in the case of CBC, there is no Canadian in contention), then it's just mildly interesting. I watched the races to observe technique and equipment. I really couldn't care less which Schoch brother won (was it Simon or Phillip?, I can't even remember).

The same goes for hockey or speed skating or skiing. If it's not live and the radio or TV or someone at work has already spoiled it for you, you're just not going to be riveted to the TV during the primetime re-broadcast.

BUT...figure skating works. If you're mildly interested in figure skating, it's no big deal if it's live or not, you'll still watch the show. Because really, it's a show, not a race. That's my theory on why there is so much skating on the networks.