Note to New Members ×

CNN/SI photo gallery - 3 hardboooters!

Mike T

Can somebody explain the setup on this guy?

Philipp Schoch

*Looks like he's wearing ski boots.

*I've never seen so much canting on bindings.

*Are those riser plates on his board?

It cracks me up that the Olympic gold medalist uses duct tape to keep his shin guards in place. Alpine boarders really must be on a low budget.

I'm pretty sure the boots are Northwaves.

The .900's are grey with a blue tongue.

The .950's are yellow with a black tongue.

I know that the .950's came with stiffer springs, but I don't know if the shells are harder, softer or the same?

Yeah, what are those plate things under his bindings?

Donek on SI!

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/multimedia/photo_gallery/2006/01/11/gallery.snowboard/index.6.html

Wow she runs a lot of toe overhang. It also looks like she's using ski boots?

I think the angle of the shot is deceiving - overhang I doubt. Especially with the inclination these racers sometimes get in a course.

Look to be Burton plates. Boots - Burton Fires?

Michelle is doing VERY well - Go Michelle!

I'm pretty sure the boots are Northwaves.

The .900's are grey with a blue tongue.

The .950's are yellow with a black tongue.

I know that the .950's came with stiffer springs, but I don't know if the shells are harder, softer or the same?

Yeah, what are those plate things under his bindings?

You're right Rob, these are 950's. Those boots are way stiffer, comparable to Indy's. The bindingsetup is custommade I think, very weird, just to get some more leverage?

Greets, Hans.

its indeed .950 the same as the .950 but stiffer plastic and aluminium buckles. Matthieu Bozetto and a few other swiss riders still use that boot in world cup. Model production is stopped since at least 2002. Crazy !!

Pro must have bought a huge stock from northwave before they stopped production, cos those ones looks pretty new !..

Am glad to have a spare of .900 still in its box !

Nils

I told ya that Shred nose thing was going to catch on!! My reasoning was I wanted the most effective edge as humanly possible but with a tiny up turn so no nose dive.. which I clipped the nose a few times on my donek Shred nose. Why waste board material when it could be used to put more edge on the snow..

Dang the Schoch! Patent foiled again!

BTW what is with those angles? what are the like 25/30 I cant even ride anymore if it aint more than 60

Right Said Shred

:freak3:

donek doesnt make clothes...

To the contrary, I have a donek shirt that came with my board. Donek probably doesnt make racing pants though...:( Nonetheless, I was highlighting the disparity in advertising. Hopefully spectators will be able to identify that her board is not made by the company of which I shall not speak its name. I didnt realize she was using that company's boots/bindings as someone pointed out.