Note to New Members ×

Southern Ontario Session '06 (New Thread)

csquared

Okay, we're on. I have reserved space for the event on January 27. Mark your calendars accordingly. Based on last year and a little optimism, I have tentatively told them that approximately 20 will be attending (this is less flexible than you might imagine).

Before I sign the contract (yes, there is a contract, and yes, I am on the hook), I need to confirm numbers. When I say confirm, I mean I need your absolute personal assurance that you will show up or I will be left holding the bag for the unsold tickets (and you won't be able to come next year). I know some of you had confirmed on the other thread but if you would not mind committing yourself in a reply post on this thread it would keep things somewhat tidy.

There was some discussion of setting a course in the other thread and it is not impossible to have this happen but the race staff do not really understand snowboard courses and there is a cost to have them set one (badly and with slalom poles rather than stubbies). If you have not been through gates this would not be the ideal time or place to learn.

I think the gear swap idea is interesting. If you have a board or a full set-up you would like to dispose of, you could bring it to the hill and leave it in the racks then make arrangements with others to try out the gear. This won't be like SES with a tech tent but the picnic tables usually work fine as tuning benches in a pinch. Maybe at the end of the day we could get all the gear in one spot where the bindings and other bits can be examined. There is a race room with tuning benches that I think we might use. Bring wads of cash.

If you bring a lunch, pack one that you can bring up the lift. Although there is a number of food service areas, they are often booked up serving catered events. The Upper Chalet seems to be available for us to get together at lunchtime (think of it as the SES banquet without the food, drinks, or door prizes). There is a fairly limited menu but there is beer (for the first time this year) so I am sure most people will be well-served.

We will establish a rendezvous point, radio channel, and other details later but this should be enough for now. If you don't know anything about Osler you can learn more

here

So, 20 spots friends...don't delay, sign up now. Because I trust you guys (and girls; actually the girls more so), I am not asking for the cash up front. However, I will need you to bring the cost of the ticket on the day. I am not sure what the ticket cost is going to be but I am guessing C$50 right now; I will confirm this later.

Looking forward to riding with you all.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey there,

Count me in for the 27th! Chris, you're so cool for working on this.

Much thanks to Mike at MSLM (Jan 2) for letting me know this was already in the works. This was my first (half) day back on the slopes since the last SOS on Feb 6th last year (I tore my ACL a few days later). There was a little rust to scrape away and it wasn't the screws in my knee (they're titanium and don't rust :-) ).

Anyway, I hope to be at ECES this year also but I need to ride some more before I can book it.

arthur

... I'm blushing.

Good work, you guys are on the ball. That makes 13 spots taken.

csquared & friend

Skategoat

John O'Brien

Ruhtra

ARCrider

Greg Marsden

pmWizard

John H

Rob-CanCarve

Chris (can't id you from the picture but any Chris is a friend of mine)

Beth & Derek

Keep it coming guys. I am trying to confirm YYZCanuck and Mr. Coiler (very small chance of the latter as he is getting behind on the gold medal boards these days).

Lets hope this weather improves soon.

Miss a day miss alot.

I'm keen to meet you guys and carve it up.

I'm hoping my daughter can join us; she is waiting for her university schedule.

She retired from racing last year (Provintial GS Champion 04, 10th in slalom at the 04 Nationals & several top 10 placings at Continental Cup & Noram races) She is also a CASI instructor. Yes, I'm a proud Dad.

Csquared, I haven't met any of you guys except Greg. I don't get up to MSLM--it's a long drive from London. I usually only make it to Talisman on Sundays. Not a great carving hill but okay compared to what's down here. At any rate, it'll be fantastic to ride with a bunch of other carvers. Usually I'm the "guy on the funny board" or "the old school bindings" (TD2's!) with no other alpine riders around. Looking forward to learning from some other riders.

Cheers

Chris Ball

I spoke to my father this evening and he'd like to come along as well, so add Mike McNally to the list also.

thanks!

Beth

are we at the 20 people yet? Is there trouble if we go over 20 people? My brother still hasn't responded to my queries so he might be in also.