Note to New Members ×

OT: Johnny Damon is a Yankee

skategoat

WTF, let's just give the yanks Manny and Ortiz while we're at it.

Karma will get him in the end. Of course, not before he gives the yanks another career-making season, in typical Boggs/Clemens fashion.

The sellout will be complete when he sits down for his NY coiffe.

I'm actually a bit of a Yankees hater (a child fan of the Washington Senators, at least you guys in Boston still had a team while you were growing up! Remember the musical Damn Yankees?) but what is with the pattern of great Boston athletes going to New York?!

WARNING: FLAME BAIT!!! This is a capitalist driven country so we can't argue with it if we are REAL Americans right? :flamethro

Gotta go where the money is... i.e. New York... (this is why I'm trying to get the heck out :) )

Hey Jack, he got made over by the Queer Eye... He BELONGS in NY!!! :D

I have to admit slamming my fisrt on the table when I heard the news. Praying for the "Sampson effect" now!

$13M a year is a lot though, for someone who seems to be accumulating nagging injuries. Not saying I'm glad he's a SpankMee in the least - just saying I can't see the logic in the Sawks bidding anty higher than 4/52.

They better not let this happen when David Ortiz's contract expires.

I think it's a stupid move on Damon's part. He was being offered $40-$44 million from the Red Sox to stay. The Red Sox wanted him here, the fans wanted him here. Giving up near guaranteed Boston sports legend status for $8 million when you're already a multi-millionaire seems a little weak to me. He's nothing but another Steinbrenner toy to New Yorkers, in Boston he was the legend who helped force the biggest choke in sports history against the Yankees and then go on to win the world series.

He was always described as not-so-bright, but this move is just stupid on his part. He will never be able to step into Boston again. Newly crowned "The most hated player in baseball".... Congrats A-Rod, you've been demoted

by the noodle armed choir-boy!!!!!!!!!!!

At first I was infuriated, but after some thought I think it's a blessing in disguise. With his aggressive play and a larger outfield in NY, he'll probably follow the path of Nomar and spend more time on the DL. His offensive production in the leadoff position will be missed, but his inability to throw out runners from the outfield or at least hold them to singles has been downright embarrassing. It always looks like he's throwing a shotput from center field. Hopefully this will be just another case of NY overpaying for a player.

If you're mad, blame Lucchino. In the BG, Gordon Edes mentions that he was in charge of the contract negotiations with Damon. Press conference from Fenway going on right now (2:00pm).

I think it's a stupid move on Damon's part. He was being offered $40-$44 million from the Red Sox to stay. The Red Sox wanted him here, the fans wanted him here. Giving up near guaranteed Boston sports legend status for $8 million when you're already a multi-millionaire seems a little weak to me. He's nothing but another Steinbrenner toy to New Yorkers, in Boston he was the legend who helped force the biggest choke in sports history against the Yankees and then go on to win the world series.

He was always described as not-so-bright, but this move is just stupid on his part. He will never be able to step into Boston again. Newly crowned "The most hated player in baseball".... Congrats A-Rod, you've been demoted

by the noodle armed choir-boy!!!!!!!!!!!

Are you kidding me? Guaranteed extra $8 mil vs. what - 30 years of selling mattresses on TV? That's what "sports legend status" buys you. Ask Franco Harris.

But I've had time to think. My 72 tear old Mother was actually CRYING about this to me this AM... shows how irrational we can be about the Sox around here. Bad genes I guess...

The Sox front office has NO CLUE. First they had no idea Theo was leaving and now this...It's WORTH 3 or 4 million a year more to keep Damon AND to keep him out of the sneaky greasy greedy talons of the Empire. There is NO EXCUSE for this happening. Sox management "managed" to make the team worse and make their top division rival BETTER at the same time. JESUS H. CHRIST!!

And think of all the lost marketabilty...I'd say 2 tickets in 10 over the last 4 years was bought by a female Damon worshipper.

They ruined my SUMMAH! Freakin' Boneheads!

OK I'm done...

I dont blame the sox at all!

Damon wanted a bigger stage than Boston. I watched as he became the center of attention in Boston and he loved it, with the book stuff from last year and the Hair. Now he has the biggest stage to play on. He will Never make the 4 years and how many times will he be hurt in the next 2. He is gone in 2 years for sure.

The Sox did the right thing 10 Million a year :eek:

Not chump change for a better than average center fielder thats been hurt and is 32.

Yes a loss for the sox but more than 10 mil was a loss also.