Note to New Members ×

Chocolate!

Allee

From cheese to tequila to wine, I am always amazed that a bunch of "snowboard yobbos" are such cuisine geniuses!

A large box of assorted Lindt just arrived in our office .... it has a very short life expectancy. I like Lindt for anytime eating, but my all time fave chocolate is Caffarel (Italian).

What's yours?? And yes, guys can answer this question!

Ghirardelli Chocolate the thin ones with the caramel in the middle...

Heh, I was just at Ghirardelli Square yesterday and those thin ones with the caramel were the free samples they were handing out at the door. They were OK but the chocolate ice cream with fudge, raspberries, and whipped cream was better ;)

La Maison du Chocolate is my favorite. Champagne truffles are awesome!!!

Neuchatel makes some marvy chocolates too. They have great deals at the "factory" on seconds - if you're anywhere near Oxford, PA, they're right on PA10 just north of US1 (directions)

Godiva and Lindt for everyday...

Hmmm, more chocolate!

Funny, our American customers who come to visit tell us the regular Canadian chocolate bars are better than the Americans, less wax due to cooler conditions I think.

Bernard Callebaut is a Belgian chocolatiere here in town, very tasty. And that good old Canadian standby Laura Secord isn't bad either. I like anything chewy, especially the caramels.

Chocolate, hell yeah! Now we're talking. The darker the better for me.

There is a place deep down inside of me that only chocolate can reach.

For everday workin' chocolate we use Callebaut dark here at the restaurant I'm in. For a real treat Valrhona chocolates are pretty damn good as well as El Rey, Guittard, Scharffen Berger. Fortunately for me it's my job to know this stuff. There's chocolate and then there is CHOCOLATE.

I was fortunate enough to attend a chocolate tasting (I get paid to do this :biggthump ) featuring chocolates from around the world and when tasted side by side it was amazing how much complexity and character really good chocolate has. It begins it's life in the dirt and much like fine wine you can taste the difference in where it comes from. Venezuela, Ecuador, Hawaii, Tahiti - all these places have different soils producing different flavored chocolate.

I like the Belgian chocolate that comes in the shapes of sea creatures: seahorses, shells, starfish etc. Although.. I have found that it typically tastes much better if bought in Europe (ie Germany) than if bought in the United States.

Those Chocolate Sea Shells are about the only Guylian product I've seen over here, and if the European stuff is even better than the "made for export" stuff...mmm.

Hershey

I grew up outside Hershey PA. It's hard to get over the emotional stigma that accompanies a chocolate bar freshly poured, even if it really doesn't compare with the other chocolates mentioned in side by side taste tests.

Otherwise an icelandic chocolate made with goat milk was the creamiest and most complex flavorfully(is that even a word) I've ever had. No clue the name, I was there decades ago.

Guest dragonsword5

I can't remember what it was called but I remember a counselor I knew had European chocolate and shared it with me and I never went back to Hershey again :p

But chocolate here, I love anything that's mixed with caramel. Caramellos (sp?) are my favorite.

Mmmmmmmm. chooooo-cooooo-lllllaaaaaate.

Lindt or Green and Blacks, and as dark as you can get it.

Lindt do a 99%. It's - orgasmic. a little square, let it melt on your tounge and wash it down with a good single malt. Tastes horrible until suddenly there is a massive chocolate explosion on your tongue and all you can taste is chocolate and whiskey for 20 minutes. It's like nothing else.

Mmmmmmmm.

Simon