• 21-25
    • 26-30
    • 31-35
    • 36-40
    • 41-45
    • 46-50
    • 50-60
    • >60

Sounds good. We have seasons passes to Snowqualamie and depending on where I am, we try to get up there as often as possible. Our time is filling rapidly because I spend time with the woman in Minnesota during Christmas, Thanksgiving and a couple more visits after the first of the year. We are also scheduling a Utah trip with about 8 guys from the Twin Cities area on Feb 24, if somebody was interested. March in Whistler is also scheduled.

Didn't I get onto your website and see some surfing pics?

Fischer

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds good. We have seasons passes to Snowqualamie and depending on where I am, we try to get up there as often as possible. Our time is filling rapidly because I spend time with the woman in Minnesota during Christmas, Thanksgiving and a couple more visits after the first of the year. We are also scheduling a Utah trip with about 8 guys from the Twin Cities area on Feb 24, if somebody was interested. March in Whistler is also scheduled.

Didn't I get onto your website and see some surfing pics?

Fischer

No web site for me. Never surfed either - maybe when I hit 65. Whistler for me in Dec,Jan and March this year.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey all, I turned 18 in August and I have been riding a snowboard for three seasons. The first season I was on a regular board and it delaminated on the third day. The second season I had my '94 Burton asym (I ride goofy) and broke my leg skiing!!!!(which I've only been doing since I was 4). Last season was by far the best because I realized the guys swapped the angles on my bindings and no wonder I felt my hip was popping out! :) Moved from greens to blacks in a day.

This season I am in Boston, so East Coast, and will be on a ski team with twin-tips (obviously not that serious in competition) and snowboarding heavily on my alpine. Next season I will do study abroad in Geneva, learn some French, study International Orgs (because I am a SOCIAL SCIENCES person :p ) and catch some wonderful European skiing and riding.

PS- I AM INCREDIBLY PROUD TO NOT ONLY BE VERY YOUNG IN THIS SPORT, BUT ALSO A GIRL . THAT'S RIGHT!!!

PS- I AM INCREDIBLY PROUD TO NOT ONLY BE VERY YOUNG IN THIS SPORT, BUT ALSO A GIRL . THAT'S RIGHT!!!

Good stuff. Wish I had got into it that young, rather than in my late 20's.

Oh, and if you want girl support, there are some awesome female riders out there. Just look at Michelle for starters!

Guest Don Speziale

Just turn 39 and this will be my first season riding hard boots. :eplus2:

I rode softboots for 5 years and looking forward in trying hard boots! However I have no gear yet. :eek: I am looking to see what would be a good board and bindings to get for a starter. I have no idea where to begin! :confused:

Don

Just turn 39 and this will be my first season riding hard boots. :eplus2:

I rode softboots for 5 years and looking forward in trying hard boots! However I have no gear yet. :eek: I am looking to see what would be a good board and bindings to get for a starter. I have no idea where to begin! :confused:

Don

Hey Don! Welcome to the next level! Be sure to check out Jack's welcome information : http://bomberonline.com/articles/welcome_center.cfm

Any other questions, you found the right place! :biggthump

Guest Don Speziale

Thanks for the link Z.

This is like reading a technical Manual!!!! :eek: Very good information, especailly on the board specs and bindings. But I think I am even more confuse now than before. :freak3:

This is not like picking up a regular board with soft boots. Damn, it is bad enough to be confuse on finding the right gear, I can't even imaging what my first ride on plates will be like!?!?!

:confused:

hey all,

long time since i posted back in 2004. i'm 35, riding since '85 (Burton Elite 150) and on hardboots since '98. as for the job, i'm a university instructor and have an awesome 13th floor south corner office (no cubicle for me!) overlooking the Salt Lake Valley and the Wasatch Front!

no snow in the forecast today, from my vantage point! :(

on how we perceive ourselves as human beans. As Jeffrey Day points out the poll here has nothing to do with an occupation yet, this is how most of us are identifying ourselves (as well as stating ages). It's hard for me to imagine that a person's occupation is what THEY think most defines who they are. Especially, when the poll doesn't ask for this information.

Our jobs are how we make money to provide needed living expenses. And, jobs and income can come and go at any time. What remains constant in our lives is how we each spend our lives pursuing life, sports, and good health. I try to focus on those things rather than how I make a paycheck.

Mark

I noticed that too, and found it quite odd. I have often wonderd why people use their occupations to define whom they are. Enough waxing philospohic, 42.5 year old hairybacked fat :rolleyes: guy riding off and on since '92, 2nd season on plates :biggthump

Thanks for the link Z.

This is like reading a technical Manual!!!! :eek: Very good information, especailly on the board specs and bindings. But I think I am even more confuse now than before. :freak3:

This is not like picking up a regular board with soft boots. Damn, it is bad enough to be confuse on finding the right gear, I can't even imaging what my first ride on plates will be like!?!?!

:confused:

There is no doubt that alpine snowboarding has a different ride and feel. It takes time to master the carve. So take your time.

As far as the equipment goes, there are many boards to choose from. I would recommend an All-mountain or a free carve board to start with. Boots and bindings are obvious, not too much of a large selection to choose from. You can check out the store here to get more information on the boots and bindings.

When I first started, I had no idea what was involved with plates, what boots would be comfortable and what type of board to buy. I just brought what I could afford and hope for the best.

It took me over the years to finally understand and master this new sport. It is so different from soft boots riding. Especially then.

I started riding plates back in 96, but because of my limited amount of time in going to the resort. I was able to carve well in 98 and then mastered the low G's in 99. I got hook and never look back to soft boots! :eplus2:

Good luck!

:1luvu:

come ride with us on wednesdays, at WA-WA other than Sfleck I am the only other person on plates under 30 that frequents that place.

Though I have a bunch of grey at 24 years (thanks mom!) some of those folks make me feel like I am still in preschool.

Its good to see some of the younger croud on plates and being a girl is even more of a bonus :biggthump

Guest Tombo28

I've been breathing for 35 years, carving for 13 years and skiing for 16 years before that. And get this, I'm a computer tech! How's that for interesting and different? No cubicle for me though, just a really messy work bench with six PC's in various states of repair on two KVMs.

I'm 41, soon to be 42...

Started riding with my first trip to Tahoe 4 years ago-I was sweet on this guy and he'd thought snowboarding would be easier on my twice reconstructed right knee.

I figured I'd keep riding because he liked to ski. Now I'm addicted.

This year will be the first in hardboots(ankle willing) and I feel I've got a good setup based on all the good advice I've gotten here

BTW, Sam and I are married now :D

I work as a MD to pay the bills, but prefer to be a mom.

Once Timmy's in school(college), I'm quitting medicine and moving to a place with hills, or at least, small rises :smashfrea

Guest SpecRaceM5

19. Props to all the old farts.:biggthump My dad used to be big into skiing, but had to quit because his knee's got bad. He cant even make a run without them swelling up anymore.:(

Guest SpecRaceM5
43. Work-at-home writer & web designer. Former professional musician (percussionist).

Drummer for 30 years.

Backpacker for 25 years.

Whitewater canoeist for 15 years.

Flyfisherman for 10 years.

Hang glider pilot for 3 years.

Carver for 1 year.

Ducati rider for 2 weeks.

ADD for life.

:)

Scott

What kind of Ducati? I have a friend that rides a monster 900. Some day I want to get a Ducati. When I move out I will likely get a bike to finish up school with.

SpecRaceM5 asked...

What kind of Ducati?

It's actually Holly's Ducati (my girlfriend), and it's a 748, year 1999. Possibly the most beautiful design Ducati ever came out with! I think today's 749 (the "replacement" for the 748) is lame-looking. They got rid of the sophisticated and beautiful single-side swing arm and "Ninjafied" the front headlight assembly. LAME Ducati, LAME!!! :)

Anyway, since Holly is living in a little 1BR apartment in New Jersey w/no garage, she can't keep the bike there...so....<big grin>...IT'S MINE!!! BUWAH-HA-HA-HA-HA!!! ALL MINE!!!

Ahem...but seriously, Holly has wonderfully and generously granted me permission to ride it in her absence. I'm treating it like royalty because she'll come after me with a gun if I scratch it (and if I lay it down, I may as well off myself to avoid the pain of torture!).

Scott

PS - The Monsters are great-looking bikes, even the current ones! :)

Guest SpecRaceM5
SpecRaceM5 asked...

It's actually Holly's Ducati (my girlfriend), and it's a 748, year 1999. Possibly the most beautiful design Ducati ever came out with! I think today's 749 (the "replacement" for the 748) is lame-looking. They got rid of the sophisticated and beautiful single-side swing arm and "Ninjafied" the front headlight assembly. LAME Ducati, LAME!!! :)

Anyway, since Holly is living in a little 1BR apartment in New Jersey w/no garage, she can't keep the bike there...so....<BIG grin>...IT'S MINE!!! BUWAH-HA-HA-HA-HA!!! ALL MINE!!!

Ahem...but seriously, Holly has wonderfully and generously granted me permission to ride it in her absence. I'm treating it like royalty because she'll come after me with a gun if I scratch it (and if I lay it down, I may as well off myself to avoid the pain of torture!).

Scott

PS - The Monsters are great-looking bikes, even the current ones! :)

Sweet

Holly sounds like quite a girl. I'm waiting for a girl that is into cars and bikes and what not. :1luvu: Some day..:rolleyes:

</BIG>

Guest Don Speziale

Thanks again Zcarver for your time and info.

I notice you are from the NY Area. Upstate NY? I was just wondering what Mt you go to.

I need to start hunting around for a board soon! If you don't mind me asking what equipment do you have?

Thank you again!!!

Thanks again Zcarver for your time and info.

I notice you are from the NY Area. Upstate NY? I was just wondering what Mt you go to.

No problem. :biggthump I am from the LI area of NY. I have a mid-week pass for Stratton/Okemo/Sunapee. However Killington is my Mountain of choice that is close to me. Mt Snow is a good Mt far south of VT. Stratton is okay. Sugar Loaf is a big wide mother and love it, but a little too far for me. I am hoping to be there this season. Sunday River isn't bad either.

I gave up on the NY MTS a few years ago. :eek: As far as NJ MTS--> :barf:

I need to start hunting around for a board soon! If you don't mind me asking what equipment do you have?

Right now I have a Burton Factory prime 68 with the old TD 1 bindings. I am due for a new board myself. I do have 2 other "backup" boards for changing conditions. I just recently brought the Suzuka boots last week. So I am just about ready to roll. Just waiting on mother nature now. :1luvu: