• 31-35
    • 36-40
    • 41-45
    • 46-50
    • 50-60
    • >60

Guest whatmovesyou

I'm 67.

Besides carving, still skateboard, mountain bike, street sail, and windsurf.

The key to enjoying this sport is to "know what you are suppose to do" and then "COMMIT YOURSELF" to each of those turns. Once you do that, the sport becomes fun.

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome Whatmovesyou!! Where in Connecticut are you? Mark your calendar for the CT Senior Winter Games at Ski Sundown on February 28th. I've been lobbying hard for a snowboard event and my guess is that we'll be able to include it as a demo event this year.

Hope to see you at Okemo this winter.

Pat Moore

Just turned 59

I never thought I'd find other people that had been to Sundown in CT. I took some lessons there back when I was 23 or so. Great little snowboard area! Loved going from top to bottom in under 30sec!

36 here and still trying to get in shape so I can board all day again!

So is there any health advice you can give to us young folks?? I would love to here some do's and don'ts so that I will be able to still snowboard when I am 67.

Thanks!

Hmmmm.... Maybe the reason I can do this at an advanced age is that I waited until I turned 51 to take it up!

Okay. The body got plenty of abuse in other sports (2000 parachute jumps, etc.) so I wasn't exactly saving it for "the Golden Years".

Advice? Stretch before riding and watch out for lunatic skiers.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest dragonsword5

16 student. I tried skiiing when I was 9 and gave it up when i was 10. :p My brother taught me how to snowboard and last year I saw alpine snowboard racing on t.v. and remembered that my uncle had those kind of boards tucked away some where. I told him, he gave me his 158 Burton Alps and I got Burton Ice boots and burton race plates. Then he sold me his Volkl towards the end of the season and I've loved it and used it for the rest of last year's season and the beginning of this year's season.

I fell in love with this sport automatically because I'm not one for jumps and it got boring just riding down on my freestyle board...

...GIVE ME THE SPEED AND AWESOME CARVES! :lol: :eplus2:

33, been riding for 16 yrs this season. started off with a cheap Black Snow (thing was barely a toy, but at least it had metal edges), and a pair of Sorels (real s/b boots weren't available yet). bought a Barfoot, rode that for a couple of seasons, then tried Alpine with an asym Kemper with softboots. finally bought plates (SP 5, which I still use) and put that onto an asym Mistral back in '94. rode that for a while, bought an Oxygen asym, rode the CRAP out of that one. finally got tired of people asking me if my board was broke (cuz of the asymmetry) and bought my current stick a couple of yrs ago, a Rossi VAS 166 symmetrical race board.

woo hoo, first post!!:D

33, been riding for 16 yrs this season. started off with a cheap Black Snow (thing was barely a toy, but at least it had metal edges), and a pair of Sorels (real s/b boots weren't available yet). bought a Barfoot, rode that for a couple of seasons, then tried Alpine with an asym Kemper with softboots. finally bought plates (SP 5, which I still use) and put that onto an asym Mistral back in '94. rode that for a while, bought an Oxygen asym, rode the CRAP out of that one. finally got tired of people asking me if my board was broke (cuz of the asymmetry) and bought my current stick a couple of yrs ago, a Rossi VAS 166 symmetrical race board.

woo hoo, first post!!:D

congrats and welcome to BomberOnLine:biggthump

Guest astan100

I'm 23 (never realized that would be young here...)- Consultant. This translates into a lot of rockin' out in a cubicle and reading articles on snowboarding form...shhhhh.

My hobby was GOING to be car racing during the summer, but I decided to drop my cash on plane trips and lift tickets instead to pursue this new found carving hobby. I need more money so I can get a solid summer hobby too!

Guest snowredheadlaw

BA in Fine Art and Anthropology

6 months left til JD (who knew I'd become a lawyer)

Been riding for 12 years, 2nd year alpine.

Teaching the boyfriend how to ski and snowboard this winter.

I'm 23 (never realized that would be young here...)- Consultant. This translates into a lot of rockin' out in a cubicle and reading articles on snowboarding form...shhhhh.

My hobby was GOING to be car racing during the summer, but I decided to drop my cash on plane trips and lift tickets instead to pursue this new found carving hobby. I need more money so I can get a solid summer hobby too!

for a hobby a lil bit cheaper than car racing, try mountain biking, hiking, rubix cubes, chess, dust collecting and long board carving (if u have big hills around you). I personally fly remote control airplanes :)

Started skating (mini carving) on back yard rinks.

As a defenceman I later learned how to rip a (2m r) 180d "turn out"(heel side) to avoid the boards. Right foot lead... I'm goofy! The "grooves" in the rink are almost 1" deep. I'm hooked, but I don't know how or if this move will manifest itself.

I'm invited to ski; age 13. My parents proudly give me my first skiis. Arlberg woodies, painted base with screwed on edges. I ate snow, had a blast and remember one turn in everlasting detail. I carved. I had no idea that was a goal. I felt it; perhaps a 30m r. I stopped, and herringboned back up the hill to look at "the lines" in the snow. That was cool.

Finished school & competitive hockey. Took up skiing. Took a bunch of courses to really learn how. Got married, my wife had to pass a "ski off"; not in that order. Intro 3 kids & shaped skiis, so much to learn about. Our children will learn to ski!

One by one they started snowboarding (their Mother let them). They started racing. Soft boots lead to hard boots. Dad is watching the carving... O.K. I've got to try it.

I'm hooked. Both rotator cuffs are attached by threads. I'm visualizing doing "the move" with both elbows tight to my chest.

My passion for carving amuses my family.

A new season begins, the anticipation is palpable.

I'm 51, looking forward,for new memories.