Note to New Members ×

OT: the Avatar

Kirk

Kinda inline with the "Screen Name" thread that Scott started (some of that was REALLY interesting - enjoyed it!) Since the new BOL forum came online (~Nov 2003), I've been intrigued by some of the crazy avatar images I've seen here (you know who you are :D ) I recognize some and some I just go :confused: So what's the story? Not sure if I really want to know what Shred's is though ( :eek: :D ). Yet I really am curious about WillyWhit and the horns - stuff like that!

Yeah, I know some are obvious (carving pics, etc.) - even those are interesting - where were you riding, what board, etc. This could be fun.

I'll start with myself - "Kirk" - um, that's my name - no nick name, no cool, catchy phrase, and no avatar! Yep, that's pretty damn boring! But YOU folks, on the other hand, are VERY interesting :biggthump

Hey Kirk, I've wondered about Shred's too. Actually I've wondered about a lot of them, so this ought to be good.

A long time ago a custom car designer/painter named Ed "Big Daddy" Roth was making drawings of monsters with sharp pointy teeth and bloodshot eyes driving anything from jets to outhouses to shopping carts to small houses, all with big blown V8's and long gearshifts that were held way out in front. And they'd be jamming their foot so hard on the gas pedal that it would sometimes break through the bottom of the car and appear out in front as well.

His best known character was Rat Fink, who surfed by day and raced by night. And today he rides a red Donek :-)

I was only about three years old when this was going on, but my older brother had RF and Mr. Gasser and Weird-oh's posters all over the room, and played lots of surf and hot rod music on his record player. As a three year old I thought this was very cool.

http://www.mrgasser.com/aboutbigdaddy.htm

lets see . . . mines just a boring old carving pic.

It was shot at ECES 2004 at sugarloaf in Maine. The board has to be my really old custom donek 185 (mmmmmm love that board). the photographer was Steve Prue, and the run was the bottom portion of spillway I do believe.

The only other chance, is that it was same event, same mountain, different run, and shot by Jack Michaud.

~tb

The one I use in the winter in a CAD rendering of my Burton bindings that I modeled on CATIA in a CAD course. For this summer, I am using a pic of the bike I ride for commuting, a 2003 Giant Iguana (the pic is from the Giant website).

post-52-141842204939_thumb.jpg

Todd - nothing gay about a cool carving pic!

Lee - wondered about that helmet

I figured Derf was into the biking thing (pic and the signature) :biggthump

Nice backcountry shot Enzo - Jackson is just up the road from me.

This is kinda cool!

Mt Bachelor, about 2/3 of the way down one of the big wide runs off the Sunrise chair, Coiler PR188. My wife took the photo, unfortunately she set up where the trail flattened out and I lost all my speed. I'll definitely get a better shot this season. Even though my carving pics are far from impressive to look at, I at least like to think that each one is better than its predecessor :o

Guest Randy S.

Seems to me there's a thread about this from years ago. Probably off the old forum and impossible to resurrect at this point.

Mine is a picture of me racing at Northstar in the Norcal finals from like 3 or 4 years ago. Yes, I won the race. As I recall, Hagen was in that same race, lost an edge, hip-checked the snow and still came in 2nd. I use the same avatar on some motorcycle boards as well.

Seems to me there's a thread about this from years ago. Probably off the old forum and impossible to resurrect at this point.

U know ive been bugging Fin about this for a long time. Something to do with the format. Maybe i should talk to him and let -ME- handle it. too much valuable information in that old forum.

My old one was a pic of me fooling around on a Kyacking trip with some friends last summer... I saw a sand bank, and couldn't resist....

As for the current one, it's just me, enjoying one of my favorite pastimes: Dirt Track Auto Racing :biggthump The track was extremly dry/dusty on the night the pic was taken, hence the need for the glasses :D

the horns ? that was last february in porto seguro , brasil waiting in line in a dune buggy to take the ferry and some kid was trying to sell me a hat with real bull horns so my wife snapped that shot.Kind of a goof on the shot of the buffalo hat in the attitrash parking lot.

Mine is a pic of my son AJ with his first skateboard...Taken on a trip to Colorado last spring - bought it for him @ the ESPN X-Zone near Denver...

I took him surfing yesterday in Narragansett, RI...he loved it!

Now if I can ever get him to give up skis for a snowboard...

"Making turns" at SES 2005. Enjoying the Madd 180cm for the 2nd or 3rd day in a row! Thanks to Jack's quick action and artful eye. I don't have allot of photos , so this is a fav.

My old one was the backlit shot that was published in Snowboard Journal issue #2 article on collectors. I am holding a Burton "Londonderry" from 78.

SJ Issue #2

It was pretty hard to make out. So , I appreciate Jack giving me a photo that serves as a better avatar.