Note to New Members ×

Lower Mainland Carvers' Diaries, 2023/24

Jarcode

Snowing again at Cypress! Collins reopened today too. 

I spent the most of the day on Easy, introducing my buddy, Alex, to snowboard. My ancient Burton Drivers, that I was keeping as loaners, finally met their demise - the soles delaminated from the rest of the boot. 

My koa Arbor Munoz got out to play, after being nearly retired for almost 2 years. 

T33, part of Tomcat, Collins, Easy and Fork open today! The morning was actually very carvable. Got scraped/bumped up quite a bit by the pm. 2x 3hrs instructor sessions. BXFR. 

Edited by BlueB

Nice morning carving, with a crew of 4, of old the OG team! Good cord for few runs and not too many people (for a Saturday). Good lunch and chat afterwards... 

Tool: Colier VSR 165. Love it on not-too-steep terrain. 

Spent 2 awesome days at revy. @crackaddictshowed us around and  on the first day and we filmed some clips together. One of the best groomers day I have ever ridden plus happy to learn from the best carvers. 

Next three days are going to be at Lake Louise for my CASI 3, hoping to pass riding and teaching this time. 

After that it'll be 2 days at Big White...

Whole day sessions, all carving. Morning mixed with skiers, pm with a single student. We did almost 3 hrs worth of "dolphin turns" I'm cooked. 

Ok snow, wet but not gooey. A bit of drizzle at the base at times, but snowing already 50m up the chair. 

BXFR. 

The while stuff is back - snowing like crazy all day, we needed it badly. 

It was probably a wrong day to boring the Virus skis, but I made them work. They eat up the groomers, but kinda suck on all the rest... 

We met a new buddy, @korc (?), on his BXFR with softies. Smooth carving with a bit of freestyle mixed in. 

Hi Boris, 

It was nice meeting you yesterday. 

Been off the board for quite a while so got to get used to riding again.  Legs were spend by mid day.  Haha. 

Maybe I'll try breaking out the hard boots again. Wonder how rusty the edges are. 

Edited by korc
  • Like 1

Two sessions today, as usual. Mixed with skiers in am and snowboard carving in the pm. Groomers were pretty sweet in the am. It started snowing, a lot, in the pm. Winter's back. 

It was my last day of the season, by the looks of it. I have to fly to Europe on Thursday. 

Day 1 and 2 of sun peaks

day 1 was perfect groomers not a cloud in sight u till lunch and I collided with Quat at high speeds I went for a big toe side turn and just forgot to look uphill, re opening the delam on the nose of the keser and hurting my shoulder my concussion did not worsen but some more headaches but other than that could not of asked for better.

Day 2 riding the moss snow stick  some snow overnight 5-10 cm but in the trees it got up to 15-20 so just ripping trees all day some of the tightest trees I have ever ridden.

Day 3 plans to be revi and 4 back to sunpeaks

Home to say hi to James on the way up.

Hello,

Wasn't sure if I should start a new thread or not for this.  Need help w/ a dilemma.

Looking to buy a season pass next year for myself and daughter.  She skis.

She took her beginner lessons at Cypress this year and absolutely fell in love with it and I want to sign her up for next year as well but her best friend's parents just bought their pass at Grouse.

Do I be the good parent and buy a pass at Grouse so she can ski w/ her friend or do I be a "little" selfish and  buy Cypress?  

Are there any good runs for me to get some nice turns in at Grouse?  

BTW, conditions were pretty amazing this past weekend at Cypress.  Soft groomers and moguls that my BXFR cut thru pretty easily.  Visibility not so much.

Thanks in advance

Cypress 2024/25 passes now available for renewal!

Brewski March 16 & 17.

44 minutes ago, korc said:

daughter.  She skis.

She took her beginner lessons at Cypress this year and absolutely fell in love with it and I want to sign her up for next year as well but her best friend's parents just bought their pass at Grouse.

Do I be the good parent and buy a pass at Grouse so she can ski w/ her friend or do I be a "little" selfish and  buy Cypress?  

Solution: Buy her a Grouse pass. Buy yourself both a Grouse pass and a Cypress pass.

Edited by Cousin of Beagle

Yes, there are few nice runs at Grouse. 

Best solution: Your daughter is under 10, right? Put her into Cypress Ski Club. For the mileage she'll get, it would be a lot cheaper than lessons and she'll become a lot better skier. She'll train at least twice per week, Thursday 5:30-8 and Saturday or/and Sunay 9-2. She'll make lots of friends, too. There are two paths, Race and All-mointain. I recommend she starts with race, for strong foundation. She can always switch later, if inclined. 

There's a club at Grouse too, but you won't have such a big carving community there. Not to mention that freeride terrain is enormously bigger at Cypress... when we all have the snow. 

• Like 1