Note to New Members ×

Lower Mainland Carvers' Diaries, 2023/24

Jarcode

10 minutes ago, Cousin of Beagle said:

I will translate.

Please post the local content over there here.

😕

Thanks professor. 

"There" is from my post before it became "here". Mods have moved it here. But I'll edit, so you don't end up in Ontario. 

• Haha 1

Day 1

Whistler

Prior mfr 159 now pilots and Ride insanos

Day was nice lots of overnight snow

Lot of pain with new boots (think it's a stance angel issue) was using my ski boot liner in them as dry fitting had some issues with the stock liners

Edited by roch

20 hours ago, Cousin of Beagle said:

Good news: Monday's atmospheric river will replenish the reservoir for snowmaking at Cypress.

that's one way to look at it 😆

Returned back to manning in staff housing for the winter season. Training tomorrow.

We have rain at the lower resort, will see what the ski area looks like tomorrow when we're up there. From the looks of things, we'll be able to hit our opening date.

7 hours ago, Jarcode said:

Apparently my training is next week, there's two people named Levi in our department! 😆

I was just reading through instructor list, for Saturday training - we have 8 people of Chen last name! That's only snowboard side and only Saturday. 

35 minutes ago, Cousin of Beagle said:

Easy Rider 10:30am - 4:00pm Thursday.

I'll be up for on snow training/orientation, on Friday and Saturday. 

14 hours ago, Shin said:

Anyone can recommend some groomed slopes on Whistler or Blackcomb Mountain?

There's a lot, but start with these:

Whistler: around Emerald chair. 

Blackomb: around Jersey chair; Ridge Runner of Christal chair; Springboard under the Gondola. 

Crappy, crappy conditions, total of 4 runs open, including the Easy Rider... But, less crowd than typical for weekends. 

I saw 2 guys trying to carve a Moss and something else, Korean style, on soft boots, then one young guy on Mountain Slopes and a spring-hinged plate, and did few runs with Ethan on softies. 

My toys, 2 Coilers, VSR 165 and BXFR 160. 

Looks like Manning has announced the opening date, Dec 22, with 61cm of snow on the top. 

My recovery from that crash at Whistler 3 weeks ago is faster than expected and I might be able to ride again in January. 

It's been tough sitting at home scrolling through social media and watch others ride. 

Days 1-8

Snow is very, very low for what we usually have at this time of year at Manning Park. Blue chair only opened recently, for most of the time just the handle tow and T-bar have been running. Good for most lessons, just a shame that we still need more of a base to open our main chairlift. If we had snow machines the whole mountain would be open.

Spotted Ray and our snow skate friends again. Carving on the T bar is unusually good, just a very short run. Wagon trail off blue chair is a bumpy mess since there isn't enough snow to push around for uniform grooming.

Word from above is that we'll have bear chair open soon, but we can't open our main green run due to a stream running alongside it.

New years party was fun... lots of alcohol.