Note to New Members ×

Lower Mainland Carvers' Diaries, 2023/24

Jarcode

spent new year holiday time at sun peaks & big white, mostly on green runs teaching friends. Still recovering from injury...

Snow was good, so much better than the last time I was at whistler, and obviously better than the 3 local resorts. IMG_0432.jpeg.6f99648f48f62780781865d884a415ff.jpeg 

Snow is back to the local mountains! 

Some freshness in the am, combined with poor vis, turned into skier-compacted solid pack in the pm. Instructor training sessions whole day. 

Toys: Nidecker Spectre and Coiler BXFR. 

Excellent carving snow, even for the evening conditions! Nice instructor session. BXFR. 

Getting to the mountain was an absolute mess, though. Had a mini bumper-bash on Hastings, then got stuck on 2nd narrows bridge... 

Very nice snow, appart from couple of boobytraps. 2x 3hr sessions, am - skiers and snowboarders mixed, pm - boarders only, fun. I think that I caught a glimpse of Tony, on Horizon... 

I folded the nose on BXFR, which launched me into a front flip, bounced of my back back onto the base of the board... ninja... but not so much now, that all the bruises have cooled off. 

We had a mix of carv/freerde instructor session, last night. Even 2 skiers started with us! 

We progressed from mild runs, angulatilon and early edge while carving concepts, to progress onto steep and bumpy stuff. Everyone had fun. 

Toy: Spectre 163

Edited by BlueB

Fun laps with Patrick all morning. Big Nirvana performing like a champ. 

Around lunch I switched to Spectre, to get some bumps/trees. Yucky conditions of the Sky Chair. 

Run of the day: Windjammer. 

Cafeteria adventures: Good: pulled pork is back! Bad: I have slipped on the wet floor and fell on my elbow, dangerously tweeking the shoulder. I'm icing it as I'm writing this.  

Edited by BlueB

been riding a few times, seem to be fine as long as I stay on the snow. No big jumps, no pain. 

Also found this on youtube 

that's a very detailed explanation, loved it when he said there are so many videos on the internet made by people that can't even carve on blacks

• Like 1

11 hours ago, crackaddict said:

When are you Lower Mainland boys gonna get up to Revelstoke?  This is where all the snow lands you know?

Probably mid~late Feb actually, I have CASI level 3 exam at Lake Louise and am thinking about swinging by Rev for a few days before / after. 

Another drizzly evening at Cypress, but actually not too bad snow. It seems we had quite a lot of new snow, the previous night. Only 2 people showed up for the session, but it was a good one. BXFR. 

On 1/25/2024 at 9:38 PM, BlueB said:

Only 2 people showed up for the session

Wish I could go, was up on Cypress the other day and sadly found out my employee pass is not working anymore. Says "terminated employee" when scanned. 

One of the reasons for me to apply to Cypress was training sessions, luckily I still have pass for grouse in days when I don't feel like going to whistler.  

So so much rain in Vancouver again, temperature should be dropping on Thursday. Whistler not looking too good either, let's see how my Wednesday trip will go. 

Thinking about going to Manning this weekend. To get away from whistler crowd and enjoy some quiet groomers. 

9 hours ago, BlueB said:

I think you'll be able to upload/download on Lions, to get to Sky. 

Yup. Upload on Lions Chair to access Sky Chair. The run is T33, to the cattrack on the left, to lower T33. Hike 2 mins from the bottom of Sky Chair to the top of Lions for mandatory downloading.

T33 coverage was good. No pebbles at all.

Easyrider snow was grey with small rocks and pebbles.

Looks like my season will be coming to an early close this year due to a multitude of reasons, including limited snowfall. I have a couple weeks before I head to Vancouver.

Hoping things will improve in future seasons. A staggering amount of staff have been quitting this year.

@Sirui I heard that you talked to someone who tried to radio me while I was on shift. I have a lot of work at Manning this year, so I can’t just respond to these requests while in private bookings. If you’re back at Manning, you can either try to catch me on my days off, or book a lesson.

14 hours ago, Jarcode said:

I heard that you talked to someone who tried to radio me while I was on shift.

Yeah I should have went to the bunny hill to say hi, didn't know there was another run until I was leaving. I might not be going to Manning again in the near future, there is not enough snow at the moment and I have trips planned for the coming month...But I did manage to get some turns on the covered parts of the run. Maybe I'll see you on Whistler later this season, if you are heading back to Vancouver? _20240206204650.jpg.08ccad80912de98fa1ba35bfbe036a2c.jpg

15 minutes ago, BlueB said:

It was a sunny Whistler day for me

It was a great bluebird day, some icy patches but overall very good condition. The snow guns are at full blast, even managed to pile some kickers on the green run under Emerald chair.