Note to New Members ×

TD3 Toe Clip Bolt Fell out - How risky is this for 2-3 hours tomorrow?

nekdut

Screenshot2023-03-27193340.jpg.a4ad4dae866bff357eaba11403203974.jpg

Last minute trip to Summit county.  Hit A-Basin yesterday and Copper today.  Holy crap COLD, but I had a great time.

On the walk back to the car, I hear a metallic clink and see my TD3 toeclip on the ground.  WTF!  I was riding all day today just fine and didn't feel a thing.  Big lesson learned to closely check key bolts every day out on the snow!

I was able to find a replacement screw that seems to fit well and snug down, but the real issue is the other end of the toe clip bolt.  It seems to be spinning freely and has worn down the overall bolt itself from holding position.  I can see this starting to take place on the rear as well.  Are any of you having a similar problem?  Seems to be a materials or design issue to be honest.

I'll be ordering new parts ASAP but not soon enough for a few hours at Eldora before heading to DEN.  Is this a death trap or will this hold?  I will check the tightness every single run!

Could it work - Yes.   ...on the bunny hill!

Is it asking for trouble - Absolutely if your hard charging  :smashfrea

I'd say the decision here has more to do with what level of Health Care you got! 

I am definitely jaded in these situation now, but is a few hours at Eldo worth a possible $100K med flight/hospital bill with broken bones as a souvenir ?

.....because This Is An Accident Looking For A Place To Happen!

Edited by barryj
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, big mario said:

Walker is in Georgetown, you may be able to pick up parts directly from him, depending on your schedule. Enjoy our early spring cold snap!

I will call him first thing tomorrow!  Thank you.

1 hour ago, barryj said:

Could it work - Yes.   ...on the bunny hill!

Is it asking for trouble - Absolutely if your hard charging  :smashfrea

I'd say the decision here has more to do with what level of Health Care you got! 

I am definitely jaded in these situation now, but is a few hours at Eldo worth a possible $100K med flight/hospital bill with broken bones as a souvenir ?

.....because This Is An Accident Looking For A Place To Happen!

I will definitely take it easy.  Tomorrow's day at Eldora is really a nice-to-have, and I'll treat it as such!

Imagine what happens if you are charging down a run at 40 to 50 mph and discover that one of your boots is no longer connected to the board.  Then imagine how much torque that board is going to put on the one leg that is still attached.  Then imagine this happening while your velocity vector is pointing off to the side of the run into the trees...  

This sport doesn't tolerate marginal equipment.  At the very least, to have fun, you have to trust the gear that you are riding.

Here's another "emergency fix".  I had to repair a toe bail during the time that Bomber was out of operation, and used a 5/16" hex bolt with a nylon lock nut as a lug shaft.  The Bomber lug shaft is 8mm diameter, but 5/16" is so close that it didn't really create any extra play, and I could buy the 5/16" bolt more easily.  I used stainless steel but standard hardware would do fine in an emergency.

Ideally, you want a bolt that is unthreaded for most of its length so that the aluminum TD3 lugs aren't riding on threads.  In my case, a 5 inch long bolt had just the right amount of shaft vs thread.  I ended up cutting about 1/2 inch off the bolt when I was done, but it wouldn't have done any harm other than looking ugly if I had left it sticking out.  And the double washers you see on the nut side keep the nut out just far enough so that it doesn't bottom out at the end of the threads.

This worked out so well that I never replaced the bolt with new Bomber parts.

IMG_20230328_101807.jpg.acc91b78d74008132b5b574596a5ee8c.jpg

• Like 3

Nice work Wolf! Fin just woke up in a cold sweat from his afternoon nap, feeling a disturbance in the Force... 😮

Get a bolt long enough that the unthreaded shank runs almost to the end of the lug, so the lug isn't pulling on the threads. Then trim to match. 

FYI, a Grade 5 or Grade 8 bolt is stronger than stainless, but they corrode if water gets on them. 

12 hours ago, Neil Gendzwill said:

Do you think there's enough force generated to trouble a 5/16" stainless bolt?

Good point - heck no! 

But there is a common thought that stainless steel is stronger than even a grade 5 bolt - it's not! 

• Like 1