Note to New Members ×

Binding choice for soft boots carving

i8summer

I’m in the market for a new pair of binding for my Kessler xcarve 159 I’m looking at Flow Nx2 and Ride C10. Is there someone on this forum that had the chance to try both of them? Pros and cons ? I’m currently using Burton Cartel X and I find there’s a lot of flex in them. 

3 hours ago, slopestar said:

Broke both high backs in less than 2 hours 

Used to have Ride CAD bindings, same idea with adjustable foot plates. Broke highbacks twice as well. 

Riding older Flux SF and DM now - no issues, but saw broken highback on recent Flux CV. 

a lot of redundant information on this site regarding softboot bindings for carving. RE: neils post

ride c-10. comparable to a-10. composite chassis vs aluminum chassis. ankle strap not so good. composite chassis may have broken where the aluminum gets bent. i am personally a proponent of breaking bindings as opposed to my body. at least two fractures (lateral talus, head, neck) and some other torn/affected parts. just something to consider i guess when selecting a binding if you're an aggressive carver. most carving bindings can be compared to the NOW odrive. however, i've broken a few bases, highbacks and buckles. i tried the nx2 a few years ago (not a fan) but some people love them. replaced this a-10 with jones apollo for next year. flux xv seems like a good option, but have heard warranty claims and customer service can be difficult. good luck in finding what's right for you.

A10.left binding. bent.jpg

ankle2.jpg

• Like 1

yes Neil. 90% at least. different composite makeup in the "hanger" of the base plate as well as the highback. nylon/fiberglass instead of nylon/carbon to make a long story short. the "post" of the base plate, skate teck design etc is the same. i believe i've listed the differences in the post you linked above.

oops. this post, not the one you linked. like a said. a lot of redundancy, but all great info from some great riders putting this equipment to the test and giving feedback here.

Edited by dhamann

8 hours ago, i8summer said:

Now o-drive are sick! I wonder how efficient the skate tech technology is ? And do they have canted foot bed ? 

They don't they are good bindings and many like them but theyd need a few tweaks to be fully great i reckon. highback rotation, moveable/slimer heel cup and canting options would bring would be improvments id be wanting

It is a 3 strap binding, the high back has been bolted up and a Leather strap has been added at the top...the Forward Ankle flex is severely limited on this binding, however there is forward flex from both the Leather strap and the High back, bending under pressure, the Lateral flex is is around 50% of a HB set up...I am not aware of anyone using this except JB and myself here at Milkland, I did see a set up about 15 years ago on Aspen mt. but the High back was not bolted to stay up, SB'ers do not like this because of the limited ankle flex, HB'ers don't like it because, why bother?...after 36 seasons here on Milkand and over 200 days on this current set, I am glad I have them, as they provide what I was, am looking for in a binding...Burton having fed me various parts to keep me going, for many years now, no longer offers either the parts I need or a binding that would work for this, when this current set needs to retire, I will need to find another maker, JB is currently using a Union binding however, that is easily adapted for this...we both use Burton Ion boots, though any SB works with this set up...this post will self destruct after 3 days as there are a number of people here, that are terribly offended by me even suggesting this...🤮😀

1334270048_ClassicBase3strap.jpg.7b1848c98f7634398fc577dd5e025a53.jpg

631811506_UnionForcePro.jpg.3e24b2d543963338e92e9864c375f6c1.jpg

1 hour ago, scottishsurfer said:

@softbootsurfer I come at from a different direction but achieve I think the same result with my diy tongue inserts + booster strap stop my boots from flexing at the ankles. So if they are securely strapped down by the ankle and toe straps im pretty sure the end effect is the same as your three strap setup.

I've done both the boot DIY for stiffness and the third strap (both production (so long ago) and DIY). 

The third strap is yet another thing once off the chairlift but is superior in all other aspects. At some point the boot DIY is pressing on the top of the foot often unpleasantly.

Certainly you have some old bindings laying around... Give the 3rd strap a go... Super easy to setup like SBS has... 

Mahalo