Note to New Members ×

New board selection - Input Welcomed!

Bongerong

Hi All. I've posted a few times a while back but it's been a long time. I ride the Sierras and have been riding a Prior metal 171 board for the past 8 seasons (I a average 30 days/ year). I enjoy this board but it has not been without its issues. Rides well enough for my style but is developing a slight crack underneath the base ahead of my front binding. This is actually my second Prior metal board... the first one snapped behind the rear binding on the first run. After validating it was their error and not mine, they sent a replacement and I've been riding that board exclusively for the past 8 years. My other board on hand is a burton prime which hasn't seen daylight in over a decade. I won't be buying another Prior and I'm looking at Donek boards for a replacement. Open to feedback and suggestions from the group.

I'm 165lbs, 5'11", goofy and ride mainly machine groomed California runs. I use Bomber TD3s with 3/0 lift, Deeluxe 700T (red/white) boots and only recently added the BTS to my boots (which I do not love BTW). Up to this point I prefer a super stiff nearly uncomfortable ride for ultra control and feedback. To the point where I need to unbuckle my boots and unlock the backs at the bottom of every run. I love deep carves and am looking for a responsive board with excellent edge hold. 

Looking for some feedback on best boards on the market right now. I've been a 1 board kind of guy most of my life so looking for my new ride for the next 5-8 year. Appreciate any thoughts you all have. Cheers!

Edited by Bongerong

@Corey well... I mean within reason. Haha. My older Deeluxe 700T's are still in good shape and the TD3's are good as well (just had to replace the bails and lugs as one stripped out).

If I found the perfect board for under $1K I'd be happy, but I'll go as high as $1,500 shipped if needed.

BTW Moderator @Corey if possible could you move this to the Carving Central forum if warranted. Much appreciated!

Edited by Bongerong

I'm a big fan of Coiler but you'd likely be waiting until next season to get one new.

Barring that, have a talk with Sean at Donek, I'm sure he can build you what you need.

If you're wanting to go stock, people are saying good things about the latest F2 boards.  I'd be looking at Kessler personally just because I've always wanted one but they would be on the edge of your budget, if memory serves the stock ones are over $US1400 before shipping.

1 hour ago, Bongerong said:

If I found the perfect board for under $1K I'd be happy, but I'll go as high as $1,500 shipped if needed.

Cool, that'll help shape the answers you get. 

could you move this to the Carving Central forum

Done! 

2 hours ago, Neil Gendzwill said:

I'm a big fan of Coiler but you'd likely be waiting until next season to get one new.

Barring that, have a talk with Sean at Donek, I'm sure he can build you what you need.

If you're wanting to go stock, people are saying good things about the latest F2 boards.  I'd be looking at Kessler personally just because I've always wanted one but they would be on the edge of your budget, if memory serves the stock ones are over $US1400 before shipping.

Yeah, if you can swing a Kessler I would seriously consider it.  I picked up mine (a 162) used from a rental store in Slovenia (think I paid $200 for it).  It had seen a few seasons and I’ve been riding it for 3 seasons now and it is still just a fantastic ride.  It has the best edge hold of all of my boards and handles a variety of snow conditions very well.

Could try the For Sale column here rather than buying new.

I own all of these recommendations.

Coiler Nirvana 174, Energy variant.

Thirst Superconductor 174 (comes in core variants for left foot forward or right foot forward riders)

Kessler KST 162 (slalom race board) rides beautifully. You might want more length but the mid length (high 160s to low 170s) alpine Kesslers are prized and don't turn up often as second hand for sale.

I ride groomed NZ snow exclusively now. Thaw then refreeze cycles are common. Powder in short and contested supply here. 

Lots of riders will recommend Sean Martin's Donek boards. I've tried some in the past but not loved them. The Nirvana and Superconductor were love from the first turn.

I started a conversation with Sean at Donek yesterday and we're exploring options. I've always admired Kessler boards but been deterred by the international shipping and lead times.

I'll take a look at the new Coiler and Thirst boards as well, thanks for the referral. The Nirvana Energy looks pretty spot on actually.

I'm only interested in new at this point but without the option to demo where I live and ride I need to base my choice on second-hand user and brand relayed information. Thanks All!

Since you, like me, seem to adhere to the "one man, one board" adage, here are my 2 Cents.

I have a (now somewhat long in the tooth) Pureboarding Bastard 168, and an almost-new Coiler Contra, something along 166, I believe. Both are great boards that will handle anything the mountain is likely to throw at them. The Bastard offers a livelier ride (obviously, as it's the glass board of the two) and carves somewhat tighter. The Contra is a tad more relaxed, and the edgehold is a tad better. Both great quiver killers.

@pokkis we all have our priorities in life, don't we. The conditions I ride in, my style and preference doesn't vary too much throughout the season. While board variety might be nice, it's by no means necessary for me personally. Besides... I don't think I could deal with the internal turmoil of trying to decide which of the "kids" to take to the mountain 😁

19 hours ago, Bongerong said:

@pokkis we all have our priorities in life, don't we. The conditions I ride in, my style and preference doesn't vary too much throughout the season. While board variety might be nice, it's by no means necessary for me personally. Besides... I don't think I could deal with the internal turmoil of trying to decide which of the "kids" to take to the mountain 😁

You take all of them of course... is this even a choice?!  That's why we drive vans, large wagons, and pickups...  :biggthump

• Like 2

On 2/1/2022 at 12:24 PM, Neil Gendzwill said:

I've just signed on with Bruce for a new board - lead time is ~4 weeks, so I'm hoping to be riding it before season end...  

I'm likely going to go with a Contra, sized for me at 5'6" 155lbs, size 7 feet (so narrow, 19cm?).  

• Like 1

Ha, this conversation made my morning. Would that I could make room for another board on the SUV, alas the family "gear" takes up too much real estate. I have a large SUV, a Yakima Skybox, and a 2 board holder up top. The back storage belongs to the family dog (our mountain allows dogs at the base), the snow wagon for carrying all of the gear to our spot, and the cart load of groceries that my wife buys to feed an army. Up top is more of the same but I get space for my boots (loosely packed), tools and snow clothes. My trip to the mountain takes 5 hours driving on Thursday or Friday after work, we ride Fri, Sat and Sun, and then drive 5 hours back on Sunday (get back by 10pm). My wife, two young boys and our dog do this trip nearly every weekend Jan-Apr (or until the conditions drop). I have a routine and try to pack only what I really need in order to make it easier on me to load and transport😆. Besides, even if I managed to fit another board in somewhere, I wouldn't want to waste the time to come back to the base early (stand in longer lines) and switch. Its all about priorities and preferences. Keep the anecdotes and jokes flowing gents, I appreciate it!

11 minutes ago, slabber said:

I've just signed on with Bruce for a new board - lead time is ~4 weeks, so I'm hoping to be riding it before season end...  

I'm likely going to go with a Contra, sized for me at 5'6" 155lbs, size 7 feet (so narrow, 19cm?).  

I am getting a board from Bruce as well. Have to say though that I'm not a big fan of any of the top sheet patterns. Donek has some really awesome artwork on the otherhand.

19 minutes ago, Bongerong said:

Ha, this conversation made my morning. Would that I could make room for another board on the SUV, alas the family "gear" takes up too much real estate. I have a large SUV, a Yakima Skybox, and a 2 board holder up top. The back storage belongs to the family dog (our mountain allows dogs at the base), the snow wagon for carrying all of the gear to our spot, and the cart load of groceries that my wife buys to feed an army. Up top is more of the same but I get space for my boots (loosely packed), tools and snow clothes. My trip to the mountain takes 5 hours driving on Thursday or Friday after work, we ride Fri, Sat and Sun, and then drive 5 hours back on Sunday (get back by 10pm). My wife, two young boys and our dog do this trip nearly every weekend Jan-Apr (or until the conditions drop). I have a routine and try to pack only what I really need in order to make it easier on me to load and transport😆. Besides, even if I managed to fit another board in somewhere, I wouldn't want to waste the time to come back to the base early (stand in longer lines) and switch. Its all about priorities and preferences. Keep the anecdotes and jokes flowing gents, I appreciate it!

I am getting a board from Bruce as well. Have to say though that I'm not a big fan of any of the top sheet patterns. Donek has some really awesome artwork on the otherhand.

What size Skybox?  I have a 16 but rarely use it.  Maybe you just need a bigger one?  😁

Yah, for topsheets, I've not decided yet.  I like green and flames...  I'm considering Ghost Logo, Flaming Logo, Flaming Stripes.  You can always submit your own artwork for small upcharge? 

10 minutes ago, slabber said:

What size Skybox?  I have a 16 but rarely use it.  Maybe you just need a bigger one?  😁

Yah, for topsheets, I've not decided yet.  I like green and flames...  I'm considering Ghost Logo, Flaming Logo, Flaming Stripes.  You can always submit your own artwork for small upcharge? 

I have the 16 or 18 (can't recall exactly). It's roomy enough and you'd think it would be plenty...not for my family. Haha  I think to myself, but won't say this to my wife, that I should have gotten the larger Skybox 21. Although I don't drive a Chevy Suburban to carry a large roof box such as that and would probably break my back taking it on and off the car at times. I tell my wife we need to bring less "stuff", I joke about "living off of the land" like we could just bring oatmeal and boil water. I'm obviously not willing to give up a good meal after a long day on the hill and I know this is not a topic I will ever win with her... So (smiling) I just pack the car and look forward to swervy lines on the mountain.

P.S. We do need less stuff!

• Like 2

Bruce will put on any artwork you supply at a ridiculously reasonable price. I think it was $30 last time. Ask him about format.