Note to New Members ×

My Vintage Board Rulez

Eastsiiiide

I know these fancy newfangled boards are supposed to be great and all, but I just don't know if they can measure up to my trusty Mistral Energy. I mean it has "The Carving System". And genuine Burton bindings that mount straight through the board for ultimate control, power, and carveness.

PXL_20220125_201330563.jpg

Edited by Eastsiiiide
First post jitters!
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

You have snow? Ah, I can still remember when snow used to just fall right out of the sky. 

The good news is my Mistral performs equally well on all surfaces: rocks, snow, pavement... 😉

Can't believe I used to hike this thing up mountains. Yeah that's right, it's a backcountry AT board too.

• Like 3

• Eastsiiiide changed the title to My Vintage Board Rulez
6 hours ago, Aracan said:

Ah, you have those newfangled bindings were both bails are in front. Proper bindings have a rear bail on the front binding, don't they?

My old Elfgens have the levers on the heels.  Made it somewhat tricky to be sure you were in properly, and also don't work with modern boots.  I was running Koflach Damiens at the time.

• Like 1

Does anyone recognize this board's year and model?  I'm thinking it's from around 2004, maybe.  I picked up the board and bindings on Craigslist about two seasons ago.  Never mounted, never used.  It's my only carving board, works great, yet I'm itching to try something with a more modern sensibility.  MCC demo days, here I come!

Rossi.jpg

• Like 2

11 hours ago, GetLowBob said:

Does anyone recognize this board's year and model?  I'm thinking it's from around 2004, maybe.  I picked up the board and bindings on Craigslist about two seasons ago.  Never mounted, never used.  It's my only carving board, works great, yet I'm itching to try something with a more modern sensibility.  MCC demo days, here I come!

Rossi.jpg

Clear plastic Burtons.......Check those bindings regularly and carefully! 

The clear plastic can be brittle. I have seen the ridge on which the center disc holds break and then the whole binding comes off. That was with maybe 5 weeks on them. Don't know if it was generic or only certain batches.

5 hours ago, TimW said:

Clear plastic Burtons.......Check those bindings regularly and carefully! 

The clear plastic can be brittle. I have seen the ridge on which the center disc holds break and then the whole binding comes off. That was with maybe 5 weeks on them. Don't know if it was generic or only certain batches.

For safety reason I'd REPLACE these bindings with new ones. Plastic Material is aging over time and can get brittle. Causing potentially a nightmare. Imagine charging hard and one binding is failing ...

• Like 1

On 1/27/2022 at 6:47 AM, b0ardski said:

actually with the pair I had, the problem was the adjusting lock lever under the toe and heel that locks in to the notches in the bottom of the rails wouldn't stay in place when the notches get worn a bit.

Omg yes (you had the same ones?! I've never seen another pair). And as an added feature they like to lock into different notches on the two rails so that the bail is not square. You have to work at it to get the bails square. 

So, last time I snapped a baseplate on these bindings I fired off an email to Burton tech support and a new plate promptly arrived in the mail, even though the bindings were about ten years out of manufacture!  I mean, I *have* to ask them again, right? I think it's safe to assume they'll just grab another baseplate out of cold storage, drop it in the mail and have me back up and running in no time, amiright? 

If I remember correctly when the last one snapped it was the other foot, which would indicate that it's about metal fatigue, not just the differential in force on the rear vs front binding. Aluminum suffers from constant/cumulative metal fatigue; it's always dying, all flexing is destructive.  So after a relatively linear time&wear period it's so degraded that it fails.  Whereas something like spring steel is pretty happy flexing within its intended range, thus it suffers comparatively little damage except at the extremes and thus can last much, much longer, practically forever compared to aluminum.

This is part of the reason steel bike frames are attractive versus the ubiquitous Al.  Aluminum is lightweight and corrosion resistant and that's about where its virtues end.  Steel is real.  Aluminum is shite but works alright.  Of course Al is great in a planned-obsolescence business model, which is after all the dominant paradigm. 

Edited by Eastsiiiide
friggin autocorrect nonsense.

A welded (not lugged) steel bike frame will also suffer from fatigue. Steel has a fatigue limit* but the welds do not. As a frame practically always fail at the welds, a steel frame will suffer from fatigue just as well. But steel bike frame manufacturers happily keep up the myth.

• Like 1

On 1/27/2022 at 12:53 PM, GetLowBob said:

Rossi.jpg

I remember that golf course!! Lived at the pass from 85-96, snoqrummie and the t-bird lodge hold a permanent place the my heart. That's where I learned to snowboard the 1st year they were allowed.

Edited by b0ardski

14 hours ago, Eastsiiiide said:

Omg yes (you had the same ones?! I've never seen another pair). And as an added feature they like to lock into different notches on the two rails so that the bail is not square. You have to work at it to get the bails square. 

So, last time I snapped a baseplate on these bindings I fired off an email to Burton tech support and a new plate promptly arrived in the mail, even though the bindings were about ten years out of manufacture!  I mean, I *have* to ask them again, right? I think it's safe to assume they'll just grab another baseplate out of cold storage, drop it in the mail and have me back up and running in no time, amiright? 

If I remember correctly when the last one snapped it was the other foot, which would indicate that it's about metal fatigue, not just the differential in force on the rear vs front binding. Aluminum suffers from constant/cumulative metal fatigue; it's always dying, all flexing is destructive.  So after a relatively linear time&wear period it's so degraded that it fails.  Whereas something like spring steel is pretty happy flexing within its intended range, thus it suffers comparatively little damage except at the extremes and thus can last much, much longer, practically forever compared to aluminum.

This is part of the reason steel bike frames are attractive versus the ubiquitous Al.  Aluminum is lightweight and corrosion resistant and that's about where its virtues end.  Steel is real.  Aluminum is shite but works alright.  Of course Al is great in a planned-obsolescence business model, which is after all the dominant paradigm. 

And here I am dreaming of getting back to aluminum instead of carbon!

11 hours ago, TimW said:

A welded (not lugged) steel bike frame will also suffer from fatigue. Steel has a fatigue limit* but the welds do not. As a frame practically always fail at the welds, a steel frame will suffer from fatigue just as well. But steel bike frame manufacturers happily keep up the myth.

I figured (hoped) someone would take issue with my hasty statement.  Thanks for the info!  I think the steel vs Al faction is sort of a religion.  I concede I got a bit torch and pitchfork there.  There are of course differences among the array of different steel and aluminum, but the truth is you can make pretty great stuff out of either material. I've had a bunch of aluminum bikes, and it's not like any of them ever broke, so wth am I on about with the metal fatigue in bikes rant, anyway? It seems to be a common trait among bike nerds (me) to obsess about minutiae that have essentially no practical effect on the fun level or even efficiency of riding a bike. Eh, it adds color to the enjoyment, in a 'Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance' way. 

Now carbon on the other hand...  😉

Edited by Eastsiiiide

On 1/27/2022 at 6:47 AM, b0ardski said:

actually with the pair I had, the problem was the adjusting lock lever under the toe and heel that locks in to the notches in the bottom of the rails wouldn't stay in place when the notches get worn a bit.

This happened to mine too...as I can barely recall now.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Eastsiiiide said:

Golf course? Where is this?

when you're on ch2 at Alpental you look down on Snoqualmie Summit it looks like a golf course so that was our nickname for what is now summit west

image.png.fca32db39d792d5e50de15da6e3f4627.png

Alpental is not a golf course

image.png.d9822fe8143c30cb84ee6fc5138965ca.png

this is where I bent my 186 Nitro Diablo, so then I bought a libtech Grocer

Edited by b0ardski