Note to New Members ×

What do people think of this?

daveo

8 hours ago, Jack M said:

If they’re aluminum, seems like they would just permanently bend and be rendered ineffective in short order.

Mm yeah. They seem to be in use by a few people, though. I'm curious about the durability, now, too. 

Needs more rebar.. Some bricks and lead...   You don't want these silly plates to be too light..  

I put tungsten in my boot soles so my weight is lower and edges grip more.. 

But you need to make sure you don't go over the boards weight requirements  it will stop functioning

Also then the flex will be way off and get all kaffooey on you... 

So maybe 1/4 inch carbon steel would be better.. 

• Haha 3

28 minutes ago, Shred Gruumer said:

But you need to make sure you don't go over the boards weight requirements  it will stop functioning

I was once 3oz over the weight limit of a board and it literally didn't move anymore. Took the mars bar out of my pocket and away I went! True story I tells ya. 

Their site says "if too much force is applied, the type 2 plate may also bend" lol

Edited by daveo
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, TLN said:

I got something similar. Soft-ish pad block on the nose on my Apex plate Haven't tried it without it, but doubt it will do alot though. I think it was there to keep snow from under the plate.

Right. I think I had that on my x-plate, also, actually. 

On 5/7/2021 at 4:44 PM, daveo said:

@Jack M I know they are doing something with their front/rear mechs now for years- but what exactly does it do? I can't figure it out... Do you have any insight? I'm always curious about this stuff.

https://fes-sport.de/

Looking at the FIS SmugMug photos and applying some thought, I'd guess the Germans have made a sliding axle with enough slide to not constrain flex at the front end of their AllFlex plates. The effect would be to increase the flex in the front half of the board under the plate, while the rear half remains constrained.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/8/2021 at 6:41 AM, SunSurfer said:

Looking at the FIS SmugMug photos and applying some thought, I'd guess the Germans have made a sliding axle with enough slide to not constrain flex at the front end of their AllFlex plates. The effect would be to increase the flex in the front half of the board under the plate, while the rear half remains constrained.

I would also guess there is some kind of damping or rubber or elastomer in those pods.  I think if it was just more free travel, then the Allflex ceases to be an Allflex.  Part of the magic of Allflex is that the plate only allows a limited amount of travel between the board and plate before the plate "locks up" and becomes a huge flex modifier.  The hinges at the ends of the plate crash into the pockets in the mounts, and the plate must flex with the board beyond that point.  I wouldn't have designed a plate like this, because it just seems wrong to me, but clearly I would be a bankrupt plate maker.  It works.

Surely the current boards are designed to work with the plate, so that they make the required smooth arc once the plate is "locked up"?

Doesn't seem like the best way to make a plate/board. Pity there's no money in the sport, or I guess there would be some more harmonious developments by now.

Edited by daveo

2 hours ago, daveo said:

Surely the current boards are designed to work with the plate, so that they make the required smooth arc once the plate is "locked up"?

Doesn't seem like the best way to make a plate/board. Pity there's no money in the sport, or I guess there would be some more harmonious developments by now.

I don't know.  My stock K185 and K168 with Allflex inserts work great with or without a plate.  I'm sure custom race boards for World Cup racers are built differently.  Heck, the 3 custom Kesslers I've had were built differently.

23 hours ago, Jack M said:

Heck, the 3 custom Kesslers I've had were built differently.

Would you mind elaborating? I'm curious to know.

In contrast, my 2 Oxessesses look identical in construction, i.e. beautiful :1luvu: lol

Edited by daveo

6 hours ago, daveo said:

Would you mind elaborating? I'm curious to know.

I meant my custom Kesslers are built differently than stock.  Topsheets are ptex and they're stiffer and maybe more damp.  Also I haven't verified it but I suspect the titanal is 0.4 in the customs and 0.3 in the stock boards, just by looking at the visible side edge of the top layer.

I wouldn't be surprised if a world cup racer orders a board and says I'll be using it with this Allflex plate, the board gets made differently than a stock board with Allflex inserts, in order to work best with the plate.  Just a guess.

2 hours ago, Jack M said:

wouldn't be surprised if a world cup racer orders a board and says I'll be using it with this Allflex plate, the board gets made differently than a stock board with Allflex inserts, in order to work best with the plate.  Just a guess.

I know as fact JJA (who I patron the most) does this... For his similar (my opinion superior) plate and Allflex (by type).  Also with more traditional plates.  I would bet a house Kessler, etc. Does the same.

8 hours ago, Jack M said:

I meant my custom Kesslers are built differently than stock.  Topsheets are ptex and they're stiffer and maybe more damp.  Also I haven't verified it but I suspect the titanal is 0.4 in the customs and 0.3 in the stock boards, just by looking at the visible side edge of the top layer.

I wouldn't be surprised if a world cup racer orders a board and says I'll be using it with this Allflex plate, the board gets made differently than a stock board with Allflex inserts, in order to work best with the plate.  Just a guess.

Right. I had misinterpreted your initial comment. I thought you meant you had 3 different constructions on 3 different boards.

My serial Kessler The Alpine 168 had a PTex Topsheet but I bought that in 2014 or 2015 I think. I remember when I compared it to my Oxess, it definitely had thinner Titanal, so it wouldn't surprise me if the Titanal is thinner on the factory Kesslers.

Well, I'm sure the production Kesslers are made on a line which manages time and cost whereas I'd like to imagine that all customs are made by HK in a remote snowy mountain range in a small handbuilt shack with a wood fire burning as the only source of heat and light and he only makes boards every other day as he must hunt for food with a crossbow on the alternate days. 🏹 🐐

Edited by daveo
  • Haha 2