Note to New Members ×

Day 2 on a Skwal Video

dredman

@*Ace* loaned me a Ace Skwal Green Mountain Proto to check out.  I got to spend 3 runs on it at MCC on really poor mixed spring conditions and had a blast.  With the help of @Bentnail we got some video on Sunday (2nd time on a skwal) to share with you.  We had really nice carving conditions and I got a chance to get more comfortable on the board and stance change.

It was a RIOT!  What a great tool for carving!  Because of the super steep binding angles needed, you are able to soak up lots of bumps and irregularities in the snow and have FUN!  This is most certainly a tool I will add to the quiver.  

The really challenging part was figuring out how to skid the board and low speed maneuvering.  But after 2 days I feel much more comfortable.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I spent a few years with a Skwal back in the day. I enjoyed it and liked it even better when I used ski poles. They can really rail turns that's for sure. I found the downside way booting out more than I'd like if really charging hard. The newer designs might be wider which would help that - i've not tried one of the newer ones and the last I rode one was 15 ish years ago.

Definitely a fun tool.

dave

3 hours ago, dredman said:

@*Ace* loaned me a Ace Skwal Green Mountain Proto to check out.  I got to spend 3 runs on it at MCC on really poor mixed spring conditions and had a blast.  With the help of @Bentnail we got some video on Sunday (2nd time on a skwal) to share with you.  We had really nice carving conditions and I got a chance to get more comfortable on the board and stance change.

It was a RIOT!  What a great tool for carving!  Because of the super steep binding angles needed, you are able to soak up lots of bumps and irregularities in the snow and have FUN!  This is most certainly a tool I will add to the quiver.  

The really challenging part was figuring out how to skid the board and low speed maneuvering.  But after 2 days I feel much more comfort

Interested in your comment about bump absorption and stance.

My own experience on a skwal was the same, bump absorption was superb, and my assumption is that the stance improves our ability to use our knees and quads muscles as active shock absorbers. I've tried to take that lesson back into my snowboard riding, where I'm riding a 65F/60R 56cm length stance, and relax my legs enough to use my knees more to absorb bumps.

What stance, lift and canting did you end up feeling comfortable with?

1 hour ago, SunSurfer said:

What stance, lift and canting did you end up feeling comfortable with?

@*Ace* told me to go as wide as the inserts would allow, I think it is flat on the front and 3 degree on the back.  It felt pretty comfortable right off the bat.

It seems the alignment of your knees with the direction of travel significantly allows your body to be a better shock absorber.  I imagine every degree off straight on,  lessens your lower bodies ability to absorb bumps 1%.