Note to New Members ×

How do you deal with regression?

pow4ever

Progress is good; it meant moving forward.
Doesn't matter how slowly.  at some point the forward momentum stall/plateau or become glacial.
Eventually it start going backward.  One need to be more wise about it; recognize it and ride smarter not harder.

What happen if one peaked and it's all down hill from here?
be it getting older/wiser, injury, life circumstance change/priority shift and etc.

There are super human like Norm/(enter name here) where carving prowess is eternal.

how to turn "the older i get; the greater i was" into acceptance 
This is my new norm/reality now and be happy that i am still vertical?

it's a spectrum; there are days where age is but a number and there are days where as Danny Glover/Murtugh "I am getting too old for this sh@t"  

one way to deal with it is buy more gears lol...

So...

my goal every year was to snowboard faster than my age. I was successful at this until the age of 57 at which point I could no longer accomplish this task. At 63 I would be scared to even try. So these days I work on style points, serenity, and still trying to kick the butt of some of my high school racers. (No way I can beat all of them down the hill).

getting old kind of sucks, but not getting old sucks worse👍😎

• Like 2

My old and battered body is making me slow down also, particularly with ankles that have been broken and sprained through the years. I got the Burton Step On bindings with a Coiler BXFR board thinking that it might make life easier to ride a soft boot system. What I found was that the support from my hardboots is almost like a fountain of youth for my aging ankles. 

• Like 2

At 65, I aim for small victories and savor them. Today was icy as hell, and I can no longer get through a full run in those conditions without sketching, but I can make a good turn, or maybe link up three good turns, or maybe find some aggression on the steep pitch on my third run I couldn't find on my first, or maybe find enough strength to take an extra couple of runs after my quads start barking. So, I concentrate on those victories and don't worry too much about the fact that my quads are barking after two hours when they used to be good for the whole day. And the hoots from the lift or the thumbs up from the groms all feel even better than they did back when I deserved them more. 

• Like 2

I have not peaked. I ride far better now than I did in the early 1990s.  I even ride better in soft boots in some ways than in the 1990s in hard boots. 

try this ...

1. have some mild squat conditioning before the season .  Do a few static carving poses against the wall wearing your gear so your muscles aren’t blind sided .

2.DO NOT  EXHAUST YOURSELF ON THE LAST RUN  OF THE SEASON. Try to make your last 2-3 runs of the season with as smooth  form as you can and stop riding a bit earlier than. usual. Don’t try to make a tough badass last run  just use medium strength .

3.Next season Ride EXACTLY  The same set up , same run, similar conditions ,the same way. No new gear or angles for first 5 days.

Your muscle memory will come back even though you don’t have all the strength because you took those last runs last season as a “medium .” And used finesse and concentrated on form. Find the same “flow” of last seasons run. 

4. You will resume from that point and as your leg strength returns so will you exact PEAK ability from the previous season only .... guess what it will return pretty quickly, not by the end of the season but probably 1st week of  January if you get about 7-10 days in before January. 

5. Then you will progress every season , each year getting a bit better because you are remembering the finesse not the raw power. 

• Like 2

I realized this year that even if I keep impoving I may never get as good as I was before I blew my knee. Whatever, I'm still getting out there. My goal is to try to ride as well as I can in the moment, have fun, and try to keep getting more good days in.

• Like 1

Lowrider

it was miles per hour. Hmm... maybe I should try kilometers per hour, I might convince myself of something!!

On the other hand, I am reminded of two famous quotes:

1. The older I get, the faster I was...

2.(From the incomparable Buckaroo Bonzai)

Remember, no matter where you go....

There you are!

image.png