Note to New Members ×

Buck Hill 20/21

bobble

12/26/20

flat light. eventually turned partially sunny. snow conditions were iffy. started on skis then changed when sunlight improved.  left after 1-1/2 hours. i think they're still recovering from the rain we had.

crossroads: there's a short mound of hard snow at the top. ridges down fall line. occasionally the edge would hit ice from ridges. it was okay near tower.

milkrun: the top was okay but skiers right,  face of the  knoll was too choppy. 

olympic: tough to hold an edge at top due to ridges and rolls. only made two runs.

warners: no joy. 

railyard: decent soul carving.

12/27/20

buck hill ski team took over half crossroads, part of milkrun, and blocked off olympic for sadistic reasons. 

visibility was bad. i was on skis. and so was randy. around 11am, buck ran a groomer over crossroads.

although buck has implemented a covid policy, it is not enforcing it. some of the ski team riders had masks or gators. of the ones with gators some would come into lift line and board chair with face not covered. one teen had neither mask or gator. the coaches are just as guilty for not wearing masks. they were frequently inside of 6ft range.

so... @DonPabloyou might be right about the order but I think the guide lines are open for exploitation. it seems like its geared for high schools and colleges. where do private teams fall under?

https://www.health.state.mn.us/diseases/coronavirus/schools/sportsihe.pdf

14 hours ago, BobD said:

The guidance for sports would only apply to areas closed to the public. Once they overlap with the general public, the general guidance would apply. Either way, I read it as mask at all times for practices.

• spend money constructing plexiglass walls in ticket office.
  • spend money on plastic COVID signs in lift lines and installation.
  • spend money on decals  6ft social distancing. place everywhere.
  • spend money on social media with graphics, photos, etc telling public to mask up.
  • spend money on hand sanitizers stations everywhere.
  • spend money on buck hill logo COVID masks
  • spend money on new plaques in ticket office line with QR code for online lift ticket ordering.
  • employ greeter outside ticket office "did you order your ticket online?"
  • force guests who didn't order online use cellphone to buy ticket and thus slowing down the line.
  • force guests to walk around the the end of the long queue after dropping off gear.
  • close off the chalet so guests can't warm up.
  • close off restaurant because can't eat indoors

and then don't enforce "masks must be worn at all times"

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

12/28/20

buck is blowing snow on redtail and railyard (meadows). ski team took up crossroads. started out flat light then partly sunny.

learned my lesson with cold toes from yesterday. this morning i wore boot gloves plus toe warmers. started on skis but once light improved switched to board.

milkrun, warners and 1/3 of crossroads were available. snow was really good.

at around 11AM, ski practice halted and a groomer came out onto crossroads. so if you enjoy fresh cord, get there around 11:15 am.

met leighton (sp?) and king krimson (theo?). 

2 hours ago, BobD said:

All it takes is one skeptic coach. That could be a metaphor for the country at the moment.

they seemed better today but i think it was because it was colder.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, KingCrimson said:

Gotta say, I really loved the scene at Buck. After sundown a couple younger racers came out and really looked good. Towards the end of the day I finally started getting my act together. 

Screenshot_20201228-172753__01.jpg

whoa! you stayed there into evening? that's a long day especially when some of the runs were closed. did you take a break and warmup in your car?

i usually go for 2-3 hours. 

I was just so thrilled to be back on plates again I couldn't stop myself. No car break, the sun came out and we got pretty hot as the day went on. After sundown it got cold.

I'm also really pleased with my RCRs. Excellent stiffness and it's the first pair of boots I've had rock solid heel hold and I never had to loosen them between runs or on breaks. Not bad for fresh out of the box!

Considering cost, accessibility, etiquette, and average skill level, Buck is my favorite place I've been for doing a bunch of laps and working on technique. I'll definitely be getting a pass. 

Edited by KingCrimson

12/29/30

went early morning on skis. it was around 15F. flat light. snowguns blowing on warners (closed) and railyard (open). there was so much moisture in the air i thought my goggles were fogging.

milkrun was okay but i'm not comfortable on carving on skis especially in flat light. the cord seemed fast -- all i could do is skid first half and then carve on bottom half near the knoll.

i left after 4 runs because visibility and because of the goddamn ATV tracks. they were deep at the bottom of both lifts. on railyard the tracks were difficult to see where the ride up to the maintenance building. 

i might come back out in evening or not. depends on my mood.

17 minutes ago, KingCrimson said:

Considering cost, accessibility, etiquette, and average skill level, Buck is my favorite place I've been for doing a bunch of laps and working on technique. I'll definitely be getting a pass. 

check out afton alps or welch. there's a few hardbooters at afton. we usually have a session at Afton sometime in january, our local Midwest Expression Session. usually get maybe 8-12 hardbooters.

... but with covid, not sure if everyone is interested.

1/1/21 New Years Day

went in morning on alpine board. tuesday i messed up my lower back. hadn't beem ridng since then. today i was somewhat restrained. 

snow was good everywhere.

milkrun has interesting grooming. the side next to towers is built up higher. there's a slight rise cutting across the run that occurs where milkrun flattens. when you cut across the fall line towards towers it makes for a nice pop. i'm hoping that they don't build a jump or moguls.

1/2/21

early morning ice fog. it was difficult to see at the top.

despite low visibility the snow was great. unfortunately i had to leave after 6 runs. when i unloaded from the chairlift i experienced painful spasms in lower back. it was a bitch getting down the run and crawling into my car. 😡

depressing to have left so soon. snow was perfect.

• Sad 2

1/3/21

The snow as primo, firm cord.

Skied the morning, then was back on the board in the evening. First time on the board, I don't miss all the weird looks, "what is that?", and hollering from the chair... 

Ski challenge starts this Monday, I'll be on the board Tuesday night. Not sure how long I plan on staying, headed to Spirit Tuesday, and then Lutsen Weds-Saturday. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, DonPablo said:

1/3/21

The snow as primo, firm cord.

Skied the morning, then was back on the board in the evening. First time on the board, I don't miss all the weird looks, "what is that?", and hollering from the chair... 

Ski challenge starts this Monday, I'll be on the board Tuesday night. Not sure how long I plan on staying, headed to Spirit Tuesday, and then Lutsen Weds-Saturday. 

Spirit's not open on Tuesdays this season. Maybe try GR...or plan to hike up.