Buck Hill 20/21

just checked the website and it looks like they've changed opening time to 10AM. ticket office opens at 9:30 AM.

lots of rules that make sense. i'm not exactly sure how they'll enforce chair lift "Parties that arrive together can ride together". 

i predict the ski teams will have early access for 1-2 hours.

say goodbye to first tracks . 

• 1 month later...
On 9/8/2020 at 6:41 AM, bobble said:

"Parties that arrive together can ride together". 

They just say that to make people feel better, no way anyone will even try to enforce that. And how the rule is stated doesn't say people that don't arrive together can't ride the lift together. Lift lines are gonna get long at some places when people in line are watching a 6 person chair go up with one person on it.

I don't think having two people on a quad would ever be an issue. With the air movement, exhaled breath dispersion should negate any chance of inhaling an infectious viral dose.

16 hours ago, BobD said:

I don't think having two people on a quad would ever be an issue. With the air movement, exhaled breath dispersion should negate any chance of inhaling an infectious viral dose.

i've been on chairs where i can smell people's breath from sore throat lozenges. i'm a little worried that i'll be having fun and drop my guard.

got this from trent

just got an email from afton beer league. apparently it's cancelled this year "along with other programs in ski and snowboard school". no idea what that means, but they did mention buck and welch were still planning on leagues.... so, it's going to be even more bonkers at night at buck with all the too-big-for-gs-suits old guys getting their 2 runs in.

ski jammers are going to come out with their covid policy on 10/20.

might be the year i try cross-country skiing.

On 10/17/2020 at 7:55 AM, bobble said:

i've been on chairs where i can smell people's breath from sore throat lozenges. i'm a little worried that i'll be having fun and drop my guard.

I guess the wind direction would make a difference, Not so good when the winds blows uphill at the same rate as the lift moves, or across the chair from the other person.

off to a fine start... burnsville got 9 inches of snow. took paddleboard out. getting to the lake was tough. my wheels kept getting stuck in deep snow. visibility on the lake was bad. i couldn't see much but awhile later it improved. 

the return trip... it was a struggle. i had to push through snow piles from cars. had to take a couple breaks to clear the wheels and reset the cart.

when i got home i was drenched in sweat inside my dry suit. my heart was pounding. 

so moira says, "so ... you want a beer?"

hmmm.... 

so i had a Badger Hill Loyalist. the effects were immediate. started feeling better. best thing ever post-workout.

"you'll have to thank @bigwavedavefor that advice"

[when dave and i were at Indianhead, he pontificated on the miraculous healing effects of drinking beer after snowboarding]

i think from now on, whenever i do something exhausting,  i'll have a beer (e.g. shovel snow... in the morning)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
1 hour ago, Scuff said:

Is this it?

Has winter officially began?

If I start now, maybe I could make a ramp off my roof....

i drove by buck parking lot this afternoon. the guns are not even set up. i don't recall this amount of snow before Halloween. hope it stays but would not be surprised if it warms up again. i still have leaves to rake under the snow.

• 3 weeks later...

11/14/20

first day of season. it wasn't all that great. only half of Teacher's Pet and Redtail were open. flat light. almost like spring conditions. on my first run i blew out a toe-side turning just as i was picking up speed. i wasn't feeling it so i left after three runs. 

no one is adhering to social distancing. when i was in the lift line, there were a group of kids standing right behind me. they took off once the rope-tow was running. from the chair, some were riding with face completely visible. i don't know how buck is going to enforce this. i briefly talked to a lifty and he said if you show up solo, you ride the chair solo. 

i wore a mask under a balaclava but it was difficult to breath so i just wore the mask. my goggles would continually fog. not sure what to do. ideas? maybe there's a 3d printer model that could prevent fogging?

not sure why but instagram isn't embedding. click if you want to see lines.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CHk_v-UgpFJ/

13 hours ago, bigwavedave said:

I was wondering if you'ld go out today. When you said a picture of lines, I was expecting lines in the snow, like tracks...

i thought about taking a picture of the rut i created when i blew out but the light was too flat.

not going today (sunday). 

if i'm going to be part of a covid-19 super spreader event, then the conditions must be optimal🤪

have to sort out mask & goggle fogging.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CHlKCRBH2te/

• Like 1