Note to New Members ×

Buck Hill 20/21

bobble

1/9/21

the weather report stated early morning ice fog. when i arrived the sun was barely poking through. visibility varied. i had problems with my goggles starting fogging at the top of the lens. i was wearing K95 mask. why fogging at top of lens? 

it snowed last night and continued to lightly snow early morning. on crossroads/milkrun there was enough snow to fill in the corduroy. really decent carving. received two complements. 

unfortunately ski teams were practicing on crossroads/milkrun. ironically early morning it was hardly crowded on crossroads/milkrun. i think most people immediately went over to the other lift.

it got crowded with Ski Jammers or Blizzard Ski group. left at 10:30am. 

A friend texted me that he was going to show up in afternoon. I warned him that it was packed and to get their early. He texted at 3:30PM:

Epic failure on Buck Hill. Went online, ordered two lift tickets and rental package. Drove to Buck only to be told they are out of rental equipment until 5:30PM. Asked for a refund and they couldn't even issue one. I have to email them and request a transfer. Soooo many ways they could prevent a mess like that...

1/10/21

flat light. excellent grooming. crowds at 9:30AM. lot was packed. the parking lot was full at 10AM. there was races on Milkrun. not sure if it was ski challenge or ?

i started on crossroads but when it got crowded with skiers warming up for races i moved onto olympic.

the groomer left a speed bump at the very top of olympic in that short lane next to the ramp. i would hop over the bump but there were people stopping in the lane that were intimiated by it. i had to wait until it was clear. on one run i started my approach but then these kids came from the other chair and just stopped at the bump. i yelled "LOOK OUT!!!" and accidentally pulled the rope toe safety bar to the ground. whoops.

i loved skiers-left of olympic. the cord just held up and for some reason no one would ride that side of the run. crossroads was okay. 

one of the racers complemented me with "keep ripping it up!". another racer, miss speed-suit, hissed "We were next!" and shook her head at me because apparently it was their turn in the lift line. welp? there was some confusion because one of their clan skied right up to the load line when i was next. so yeah, let's hurry up to the top -- you might miss your turn at standing around and doing nothing. 

saw ski patroller enforce mask policy in lift line. that was good to see.

• Like 1

1/13/21

went out in evening. moguls on crossroads. FML! 😡

i submitted a complaint to buck hills website about the moguls. the top of crossroads is narrow where the moguls are placed and the snow ramp. there was maybe 8-10 feet between the moguls and ski practice area. basically the entire run was off limits because ski practice unless you like side slipping.

conditions on railyard were really really fast. the snow was packed down and icy. hard to maintain an edge. i did two runs and didn't enjoy it. i think my board needs a base grind. the board would go squirrely on me when i skid on ice.

i did a quick run on teachers pet, then a run on milkrun and went home.

the g-team had practice on warners. i cannot believe they practice on that run. it is so dark back there and rutted. 

milkrun might've been okay but i'm extremely wary of beer league.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CKAgOuagbhl/

1/14/21

went out around 7pm. stayed till 8:45pm.

it was misting when i arrived but then turned to light snow. started out on railyard. soft snow. very grippy. 

i tried going out on crossroads but too narrow from race ruts and rough snow. i took maybe three runs on that one. its just a narrow corridor.

i took a couple runs on milkrun. it was okay. if it weren't for the ski race traffic i would've stayed on that run longer.

for about an hour i was riding the south chair. the lifty was enforcing mask. he would point to people to pull up masks. there were people mocking him. 

had an irritating experience at main chair. it was my turn and i was getting ready to push off. i usually aim my board so it straddles the lane so people get the hint.  i hear this guy behind my shoulder "hey can you move over?". i looked over my shoulder and there was a beer leaguer squeeze in next to me. god damn he was in my face but he had a mask.

i said "i'm riding solo".

he gave me an attitude, "Ohhhhhh Reeeaally!!!!". i pushed forward. he rode with the next bunch of racers.

how fncking hard is it to read the covid signs? this isn't Alibi Drinkery.

but then later i ran into corey, in lift line. he was ahead and waited for me.  "hey bob! i'm riding up with you!". i was a little reluctant. he stayed on his side of the chair. 

he said that this weekend that they're setting up a special queue in lift line for coaches/instructors between 1-4pm. last weekend the lines were too long.

1/17/21

really flat light. seemed hazy too. hard snow. there wasn't much moisture content in the snow. when i left there wasn't anything to clean off my board

the chuck stone race was continued today. i didn't go yesterday because of race and buck was posting on social media that all lift ticket sales were suspended. 

crossroads was already chewed up. it was like riding on ice cubes towards bottom.

railyard was very fast. seemed like the regulars were riding railyard.

warners was very fast too. for some reason that run has been my least favorite all season..from the chair the cord looked extremely thin. 

once my balls lowered i went onto olympic. i took large turns but was able to hold an edge better than the other runs. it took significant effort to carve turns.

i left early. 

1/18/21

early morning MLK day.

flat light. difficult to see the terrain. buck hill was blowing snow on olympic and railyard. ski teams set up gates on warners, crossroads and millkrun. i stayed mostly on milkrun close to the lift towers. snow was decent all things considered. it wasn't terribly busy. if i could only see...

i got a few runs on crossroads before they set up the course. it was just ok.

ventured over to railyard and took a couple runs. it was really good. i couldn't feel any ice.

i left after more than an hour. i think i would have stayed longer if sun was out. as i was leaving i saw a long line for tickets extending out into the parking lot. these people will be sorely disappointed when they find out most of the runs are taken over by ski team.

• Like 1

1/20/21

when i arrived at 11:30, the parking lot was unusually full. i had to park near ski school.

there was gates on crossroads. milkrun seemed open despite the had race fence set up at the bottom. under the chair looked perfect.

take one run under the chair. golden. great snow.

next thing i know everyone is skiing under the chair. i hear a guy in the lift line, "the cord is really good near the towers".

i tried one run on olympic. the cord was almost bullet proof. went back to milkrun.

• Like 1

1/24/21

we got about 4 inches of sow on our driveway. as much as i would have liked to have ridden powder i decided to take ms. bobble over to Whitetail Woods Regional Park to go snowshoeing. something different. wanted to get fresh tracks at Whitetail but someone already beat us to it.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CKb6de4A3e1/

around 1pm i felt compelled to check out buck hill. got there around 1:30pm. the lines were looooooong. the south chair was the worst. the line was going up the hill and partially blocking the way back to main chair. i never have the patience to put up with long lines. plus it was difficult to carve bumps. left after two runs. 

https://www.instagram.com/p/CKcQCaTg8wU/

saw this video on youtube. i was thinking about you @bigwavedave... mount your tiny house on some pontoons. the best part of the video starts at 8:48. guy uses a car remote for steering?!?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bobble said:

saw this video on youtube. i was thinking about you @bigwavedave... mount your tiny house on some pontoons. the best part of the video starts at 8:48. guy uses a car remote for steering?!?

What, no sauna? My sailboat is my "house" boat. Self steering is a wind powered vane.

Those lift lines at Buck were longer than Spirit's.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, bigwavedave said:

What, no sauna? My sailboat is my "house" boat. Self steering is a wind powered vane.

Those lift lines at Buck were longer than Spirit's.

nice video.

re: long lines... there was a long line at the ticket office. i almost told some people to go home.

4 hours ago, bobble said:

nice video.

re: long lines... there was a long line at the ticket office. i almost told some people to go home.

I was very disappointed to find that you hadn't hiked up to make first tracks before the lifts started. :cool:...Even if it was just to see the looks on the faces of all the folks waiting in line.

3 hours ago, bigwavedave said:

I was very disappointed to find that you hadn't hiked up to make first tracks before the lifts started. :cool:...Even if it was just to see the looks on the faces of all the folks waiting in line.

I have yet to walk up the run this season. I guess its because of the masks. I'm having issues at the top rim of goggles fogging that might be due to combination of K95 masks and perspiration trapped in my long hair. i haven't cut my hair since last spring so i'm looking rather Neanderthal.

I thought with all the new snow on Sunday that it would be ideal to play with our new snowshoes. I probably piss people off digging in deep trenches on a "powder" day. they should be all happy now.

when I arrived Sunday afternoon I thought about walking up the run but they had gates on Olympic and stubbies on Warners. i probably couldn't jumped onto the rope tow but my gloves just can't grip. walking straight up crossroads against ski traffic would've been tough. I definitely would've overheated.

so I went home to work on my little covid pump track. even then I was sweating.

1/26/21

rode at lunch.

snow was HERO!

skiers were destroying my lap counter around the tower. they have it in for me! 🙃

guy stopped me on my last run, 'hey do you race? you're really turning!".

I said no. i'm terrible at it. he asked if I knew about g-team. we talked briefly. he said he used to race on alpine gear but it was years ago. 

• Like 2

1/27/21

flat light. snow was good. there was a course setup on crossroads that took the entire width. 

the blue fence was at the bottom of milkrun but no gates were set. rode under the towers but then 20 minutes later they started to set up gates. the same skiers that were practicing on crossroads came over to milkrun like locusts to ski near the towers. 

I left after 6 runs.

7 hours ago, lonbordin said:

You need to join the race teams... your times won't be stellar and you might DSQ a lot but nothing like carving on a race course... :eplus2:

i'm not into racing. back around 2005 i tried but it just wasn't my scene. maybe if there were more hardbooters.

around that same time there was carving race around these colored cushions (buoys?) that were staked into the run. they had three colored columns; red, blue and yellow. it looked like three courses but the idea was you got more points carving to the outer columns then just straight down the run. that was fun but for some reason buck abandoned it.

now the ski school use the buoys just to form lines for instruction.

picture of the buoy shown under LITTLE BUCKS (AGES 4-6)
https://buckhill.com/ski-snowboard-school/childrens-lessons/

@DonPablo races and is fun to watch. i would like to see how he fares against the g-team (hint-hint).

20 minutes ago, bobble said:

i'm not into racing. back around 2005 i tried but it just wasn't my scene

I'm sorry my advice was not clear. I was suggesting to join racing to have access to the race courses not to race. As long as you finish (so the timer can be reset) you could do whatever the heck you want after you leave the starting gates. Tell them you're afraid of hitting gates and you left your armor at home or your just interpreting the course and carve from beginning to end.

Edited by lonbordin
You don't think I raced all those NASTAR runs do you?
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, bobble said:

1/30/21

early morning. i was exhausted from yesterday at Afton Alps.

snow is/was hero! no ice!

standing at the top, a skier says to me "nice hardboots, brother!".

best complement ever.

It's snowing here in Duluth. Might go out later if it accumulates. For sure tomorrow. Me, also tired from riding Indianhead yesterday. An early start and long drive adds to the fatigue. The snow was old & hard. A few runs had great carving plus it was sunny. For once, conditions are actually better at Spirit.

• Like 1