Note to New Members ×

Stiff Boa Boot?

pmorita

I've been running K2 Maysis  wides & Ride Insanos.   I have never had the boa loosen up on me.   I crank them down very tight though.   I also ordered the K2 Thraxis that should be delivered today.  I will try them this weekend, but its come on good authority that they work really well.     If you are looking to really stiffen up the boot, I suggest aftermarket wrap liners.  I have Intuition Power Wraps in my soft boots & Plug Wraps in my hard boots.  With that being said & looking back at your question, I do loosen up my boots after every run when I get on the lift & then crank them down tight again at the top.  They do not get loose on me though.   they stay tight as a drum until I release the boa. 

3 hours ago, pmorita said:

I'm using Salomon Malamutes now.   Does anyone make a Boa soft boot that is just as stiff and doesn't loosen up after every run?

I have been using Ride Insanos for about 5 seasons. It’s a stiff soft boot with dual BOAs.  They only time that I have to considerably tighten them up is after the first run of the day. After that, maybe one or two clicks on the upper BOAs in the middle of the afternoon. 

I use Flow Talons. They are the most supportive, most comfortable snow-sliding footwear ever (ski boots and snowboard boots). 

Mine are difficult to get on and more difficult to get off but the heel hold-down is great and the boots are always comfortable. 

I think Talons are among the stiffest soft boots. 

16 minutes ago, JohnE said:

I use Flow Talons. They are the most supportive, most comfortable snow-sliding footwear ever (ski boots and snowboard boots). 

Mine are difficult to get on and more difficult to get off but the heel hold-down is great and the boots are always comfortable. 

I think Talons are among the stiffest soft boots. 

Yup, that’s the rumor! 
I have no experience with those.

I do have Driver Xs, the stiff K2s, and Insanos though. The insano has more rigid tongue than the K2. The boots while different all give about the same performance. 
the insano and drivers are pretty close in flex and the K2 are a notch below. 
while the burton lacing is a little annoying I wouldn’t write it off as it’s never failed..... I have dealt with boa failures soooo there’s that. 
same liner in bothe ride and K2, the burton liner is close but not the same. I replace the liners in softboots usually. 

K2 thraxis with intuition SBC liners. not going back to insano's since these are stiffer and hold up better. i also ride now o-drive bindings which beat the hell out of my insano's after one year. my flow nx2-cx are much kinder on boot wear/tear. i'll get two years (60+ days/yr) out of the thraxis boot and going on three with the SBC liner. boa has popped a couple times. i didn't realize it until i took a break since the other two boa's held. the thraxis is a hard charging, carving boot. i've tried to tweak out grabs and tuck knee's. there's not too much lateral flex to them. good for running higher angles on bindings where (god forbid) you can't rotate the highback. complete opposite of the burton loafer boot.

K2 Thraxis are fine, K2 Holgate are quite stiff too. Just make surre they're the right boot for your foot. If you have a frankenfoot the triple BOA is great. Never had a BOA loosen up on me.

K2 boot quality is a hit or miss. My K2 maysis plus stiching failed, so did this year Holgate. Although never had issue with the Thraxis.

9 hours ago, Maxlanaudiere said:

K2 Thraxis are fine, K2 Holgate are quite stiff too. Just make surre they're the right boot for your foot. If you have a frankenfoot the triple BOA is great. Never had a BOA loosen up on me.

K2 boot quality is a hit or miss. My K2 maysis plus stiching failed, so did this year Holgate. Although never had issue with the Thraxis.
My Maysis wide now has 2 seasons on them.   & the stitching has failed in a couple of places.   ZIP Tape or Gorilla Tape can mostly remedy that situation.       I am really looking forward to the 3 boa set up of the Thraxis.   I have wide feet & having a separate boa for the lower foot is awesome.  

Came here to recommend the Insanos as well. Especially toeside  make a difference. Tried malamutes against them as well and found them much softer, especially toeside. Others I tried this season (Burton driver X, nitro select tls, northwave Decade) were not boas, though all couldn't convince.

The Thraxis was not on my radar, will keep an eye on it.

Just reading about the liners - which one would be a good fit for the Insano? There's one thing I'm not 100% happy with and that's my pointy ankle bone against the recess of the padding for the ankle - it sometimes pushes against the hard part of the boot when really cranked down.

Edited by curvy