Note to New Members ×

Selling board to someone in Canada

starcarver

3 hours ago, yamifumi said:

My preferred payment method is paypal (friends and family) for sure as there is no fee.

Another option is to have them add 3%* and have it be a 'normal' transaction. 

I'll give 3% (as the buyer) to PayPal to have the protection they offer against scams, which is non-existent with 'F&F' transactions. If someone balks, then I'd be worried about their intentions. 

* I think it's 3%. Anyone know for sure? 

1 hour ago, Corey said:

In the US, it's $0.30 + 2.9%, so roughly 3% across the board.  And sending money outside the US incurs another fee (max $4.99) as well, even on friends and family transfers.  

I found this page listing all the fees:

https://www.paypal.com/en/webapps/mpp/paypal-fees

5 hours ago, Corey said:

Another option is to have them add 3%* and have it be a 'normal' transaction. 

I'll give 3% (as the buyer) to PayPal to have the protection they offer against scams, which is non-existent with 'F&F' transactions. If someone balks, then I'd be worried about their intentions. 

For sure, I want that guarantee, it depends on the “vibe” I get from people. I never had any issue on this forum (“Knock on the wood”) so I am fairly comfortable here but everywhere else, I usually do “normal transaction”. Definitely worth the assurance. 

I used Transferwise for an overseas transaction.  The rates were much better than paypal, but it took what seemed like 1-2 weeks for everything to clear.  They have a pretty rigorous authentication process also.  For a large purchase (Kessler?) the rate may warrant its use.  Paypal is SO much easier, but they take 2x: exchange rate and fees.

10 hours ago, rjnakata said:

I used Transferwise for an overseas transaction.  The rates were much better than paypal, but it took what seemed like 1-2 weeks for everything to clear.  They have a pretty rigorous authentication process also.  For a large purchase (Kessler?) the rate may warrant its use.  Paypal is SO much easier, but they take 2x: exchange rate and fees.

Interesting, I have been using transferwise for while now and it has always cleared within couple days for transaction (sent it to France, Germany, Switzerland, Austria, Canada with varying amount from couple hundreds to thousands). Do you mind asking which country it was to? I wanted to know for my future reference.

6 minutes ago, yamifumi said:

Interesting, I have been using transferwise for while now and it has always cleared within couple days for transaction (sent it to France, Germany, Switzerland, Austria, Canada with varying amount from couple hundreds to thousands). Do you mind asking which country it was to? I wanted to know for my future reference.

He was sending it to the USA, Santa Monica California. According to their website transfers to US bank account is not currently available. But his PayPal deposit worked fine

28DC0EE5-58AD-4304-95A1-8A7F739412A4.png

To beat a dead horse?

No experience receiving payment, however...

I just completed a Transferwise with i-carve and it was the simplest overseas transaction I have done

Ivan offered me an "invitation" link

I was able to use a credit card

Transfer completed by end of day/overnight for the exchange rate I suppose

Fees were much lower than PayPal

Board arrived in 3 days from Slovenia miraculously

Not much experience with Canadian transactions

I just sent a PayPal to UPZ and that was easy

11 hours ago, yamifumi said:

I was paying i-carve in Slovenia.  The transfer took 9 days to complete.  I got a note saying "Your money is taking a little longer to get to us" during that time. This was a bank funds transfer.  Maybe it was because it was my first time using Transferwise, or maybe it was my bank.  Based on other's experiences I don't think it was the destination country.

BTW: Props for Ivan at I-carve 

7 hours ago, LiquidEarth808 said:

I just completed a Transferwise with i-carve and it was the simplest overseas transaction I have done

I was able to use a credit card

Transfer completed by end of day/overnight for the exchange rate I suppose

Fees were much lower than PayPal

Not much experience with Canadian transactions

I had same experience. Possibly that @rjnakata was first transaction or holiday season. But glad to have options!

8 hours ago, rjnakata said:

I was paying i-carve in Slovenia.  The transfer took 9 days to complete.  I got a note saying "Your money is taking a little longer to get to us" during that time. This was a bank funds transfer.  Maybe it was because it was my first time using Transferwise, or maybe it was my bank. 

If you're with a second tier bank in the US, things can take days. We've had issues with paying US vendors from Canada. If they're with a major like Chase or JPM, they get the $ overnight or 1 day. If they're not and it has to go through routing, it can take up to 4 days to clear.

7 minutes ago, Allee said:

If you're with a second tier bank in the US, things can take days. We've had issues with paying US vendors from Canada. If they're with a major like Chase or JPM, they get the $ overnight or 1 day. If they're not and it has to go through routing, it can take up to 4 days to clear.

This must be it.  I used my "second tier" bank...