Note to New Members ×

What boots now? (MS.951 vs. UPZ RC12 vs. EC12)

Comapedrosa

Ok, this is one of these “what should I buy” posts... my beloved and perfectly fitted (😢) UPZ RC10 have seriously self-destructed (see latest fix below)... so now what should I get??

image.thumb.jpeg.71787723fd9335e68328784e5ee1f6f7.jpeg

I’m seeing a lot of photos of racers with the  (pretty new) Mountain Slope .951

image.png.8087924ed07e9301e9cca9a5a8e76b42.png
Then there’s of course the simple replacement by the current model - UPZ RC12

image.jpeg.a018ad4bdbe57a4bd96317027914bb23.jpeg
and the new co-development with the EC/Swoard folks: the EC12

image.jpeg.e25db21226cc6317b60ad4858ca2edba.jpeg
(there’s also UPZ’s own, slightly different version of this, the UPZ XC12...)

I need help! What are your experiences or thoughts on these?

Edited by Comapedrosa

If Intec heels are in your future avoid the .951s. Tight hamstrings gave one recent Northwave purchaser posting here low back spasms and agony. If you're 40+ years old consider a regular stretching program to be able to continue to use bail bindings comfortably.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Lurch said:

Anybody know what last width on the 951s? 

I don't but measuring at the ball of my foot (I run the standard 26 most shells measure last at) it's about 108mm on the outside of the shell.  So maybe in the 102mm range? The bootboard is just under 92mm at it's widest. I'd put these in the ballpark of the Salomon S/Max I tried with a stock "98mm" last.

I have a 9.5AA/ 27.5mm foot. With the stock liners it was... not good. With Intuition I have plenty of toe room with no shell work.

If you have a good boot fitter and a wider foot, I'm sure they could be adjusted. 

48 minutes ago, SunSurfer said:

If Intec heels are in your future avoid the .951s. Tight hamstrings gave one recent Northwave purchaser posting here low back spasms and agony. If you're 40+ years old consider a regular stretching program to be able to continue to use bail bindings comfortably.

Those are some tight hamstrings.

Edited by Mr.E
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Comapedrosa said:

Losing screws left and right... (and retightening every evening)

So the t-nut on the inside and the original screw on the outside can be sourced at any large hardware store. Also flat washers don't stop it from get loose. You would need a split washer to provide tension... Or locktite.

2 hours ago, Mr.E said:

Like what you have? RC12

Like what you have, but want more forward flex? EC12

Want a narrower fit through the forefoot and a stiffer lateral flex? .951

The .951 seem to have become quite popular. Do you know why? I’m what are they “better” than others, eg to UPZs?

I don't know if they are better quality wise, but I bought them because they fit me better than any shell fit be tried to date and my feet are happy. Northwave boots reached cult status on the WC, so im sure some of it is racer superstition.

9 hours ago, Mr.E said:

I don't know if they are better quality wise, but I bought them because they fit me better than any shell fit be tried to date and my feet are happy. Northwave boots reached cult status on the WC, so im sure some of it is racer superstition.

I agree with Mr E and I think it is the best fitting boots I ever had for MY feet. No matter the temperature (this is my 3rd season using it in various conditions), the flex does not differ so much like other boots. The UPZ I had varied stiffness depending on temperature a lot more than .951. Also, I like it because it compliments my SG bindings really well and they both uses same size hex key to adjust

18 hours ago, Mr.E said:

Like what you have? RC12

Like what you have, but want more forward flex? EC12

Want a narrower fit through the forefoot and a stiffer lateral flex? .951

I don't feel like my .951s are narrower than my RC10s.  I had to punch out my RC10s for extra width.  I haven't had to do that with the .951s.  However I'm running the stock liner, molded, in the .951s which is considerably thinner than the Intuition Power Wraps I was using in the RC10s.

I'm loving the .951s, however if UPZs are working perfectly well for you then I'd say there isn't an urgent need to switch.  The big difference for me is that I can leave my .951s buckled all day.  I was unbuckling the UPZs every chairlift ride.  Usually just the lower 3, but sometimes all 5.  Otherwise the performance of my .951 World Cups is similar to my UPZ RC10s with stiffer tongues.  Haven't had them in sub-zero (F) temps yet so I haven't felt if the flex changes down there.  IIRC the UPZs did stiffen up.

• Thanks 1

What type of liner does M.S. .951 comes with now?  Sounded like full heat moldable?

budget be damn: maybe just a little bit.  when there are no snow near me; I tend to day dream.
Many have said it.  we don't know how many turn we have left.  Maximized the enjoyment while we can .
Kessler 168 UPM
Apex X plate UPM
M.S. .951 with zipfit

maybe an onewheel isn't all that expensive...

• Like 1