Note to New Members ×

What Did You Learn This Year?

Kurt Swanson

I "found my feet" in  @ Cardrona in August 2018

and embedded what I'd learned in Aspen in February 2019. A Kessler 162 works pretty well in a NASTAR course.
http://skiracing.nastar.com/index.jsp?pagename=results&page=comp&compid=830957

I also learned that there are some Thirsts that even alcohol cannot quench.

On 3/25/2019 at 4:46 PM, TSUNAMIBAY said:

My last day of carving was this past weekend. (Northern Mich.) It seems like every year I learn one thing that inches my progress forward. I frequently reach for the snow with my inside hand causing me to break at the waist and lose edge control on the board. I usually make a conscious effort to raise my hand or elbow. What I learned this year is if I take my outside hand and drive it through the turn and down a bit, my inside hand automatically stays off the snow. This also results in me facing the nose of the board and not counter-rotating. This also helps with angulation and keeping the board way up on edge. So one small action completely changed how I ride. Of course now I have to wait until next year to really dial it in....

Can really relate to this one!

On 3/25/2019 at 7:24 PM, Bobby Buggs said:

TSUNAMIBAY, by dropping the other hand you pull your shoulder on that side down and you open up the inside shoulder getting your stack or body alignment better over the edge. Open the arm pit on the  inside of the turn instead of closing it and dropping that hand and you will lock in so many more turns. If you look at the motion even when your on the carpet you can see why it works.

I only got out 2 days this year due to warm travel destinations  but they were both 30+ degree and sunny days with some great old time alpine friends. The stoke was on high and I walked away knowing 2 things, at 55🤠I can still chuck turns with the best of them and I am totally at home on the Coiler AM on any terrain. 

I like the advice, "open the armpit on the inside of the turn to increase angulation!"

i learned that I am a severed flaw individual. 

Wait; in the snowboarding context?  lol...
re-learned that snowboard is fun.. "Don't missing the forest for the tree."

maybe I am getting old and soft:
It's ok to not carve 100% of the time.
It's ok to wait for other people.
Mogul still suck; esp the big icy one with rock exposure.

On 4/6/2019 at 9:23 PM, Ladia said:

Pretty much take this forum as source of entertainment nothing more. Too bad but I guess that’s what happened after 20 years.😪

Pretty much take this forum as the best, and only, source of reliable hard boot carving information to help keep the stoke alive and well. 

I think I learned the most this year from this thread.

Trying to learn to carve at 75 makes me feel like a yellow jacket in late summer, i.e. I probably don't have ten years to get this done.

I've owned about a dozen boards during my three year long quest to get up high on edge and I am sure most of you could do it on any of those boards but I want to get down to a quiver of one because I always ride on the same groomer runs and probably will continue that. I am always looking for a board that I will like better than my current favorite and when I do I will sell 2nd best and keep one.   I hope to get one or two more days in this season comparing another new board to my current standby.  Next season I will pare down to one. 

As a newby/wannabe it’s always about the board even though I know better. I mean, how hard can this be...it must just take the perfect board, right!

This may be a window into my newby status and my riding level but at this point I think I prefer a board with a single side cut radius (10 to 12 ish), no taper, i.e. nose and tail the same at (25 to 26 ish), waist 20 to 22, traditional camber and 168 to 174, FWIW.

• Like 2