Note to New Members ×

remind me how to do this again?

shawndoggy

So yesterday was my first real day on  hard boots in about 9 years.  I went out last week for a few hours but had some board issues (I think maybe broken? that's a different thread), so came here, scored a new to me board, and went for it yesterday.

My heelside is super "meh," and I'm getting what I would call "chatter" on the heel turns... my carve looks a little wavy when looking at it on the lift ride back up.

This was my first run of the day... I did start turning a little tighter/more quickly by the end, but I think you can see what I'm talking about on the heelside. All criticisms welcome!  The nice thing about taking 9 years off is that I feel like I'm learning all over again, so bad habits aren't nearly as well formed.

a 9 year break?  looks pretty damn smoove to me.  Maybe its the sunny skies, wide open trails and groomed out hard pack but im salivating.  And for the record, that's not chatter.....that wiggle.  Come ride the tight trails of the NE for a real definition of chatter.  🙂

• Like 1

9 years off and still rides better than me.

I'm not sure why that heelside wiggle happens but it happens to me with boards that are a bit soft for me. Kinda like they're bending too much the unbending then bending too much again then unbending again. But really I have no idea.

9 minutes ago, daveo said:

9 years off and still rides better than me.

I'm not sure why that heelside wiggle happens but it happens to me with boards that are a bit soft for me. Kinda like they're bending too much the unbending then bending too much again then unbending again. But really I have no idea.

So you are saying I’m just fat? 🙂  My wife could’ve probably told me that. 

16 minutes ago, soybomb said:

a 9 year break?  looks pretty damn smoove to me.  Maybe its the sunny skies, wide open trails and groomed out hard pack but im salivating.  And for the record, that's not chatter.....that wiggle.  Come ride the tight trails of the NE for a real definition of chatter.  🙂

Yeah snow and groom were pretty good on everything early in the a.m. but south faces (which were bulletproof and then soft). But this trail was mobbed later in the day. Early bird gets the groom for sure. 

Doggy

Looking pretty good for a 9 year layoff!   Looks like ya just need more time on the equipment to get ya Driving the board more aggressively.

Looks like your on the Olympic Downhill trail under the Olympic express chair at Heavenly........that's a great trail for working out the kinks and ripping it up!  

• Like 1

Yeah, just ride more man, you better than I am right now. 

I also could care less about technique at this point I just want to be comfortable on an alpine setup again, will start there, the key is probably to just ride more..... 

On 3/18/2019 at 12:10 PM, shawndoggy said:

I'm getting what I would call "chatter" on the heel turns... my carve looks a little wavy when looking at it on the lift ride back up.

Also appears to be present on your soft serve configuration.

Reminds me of the early Acqua & Sapone team colors.

Problem most likely stems from you riding the board 'into a corner', whereby you maintain (excessive) front foot pressure at a constant or increasing edge angle, at an area of the turn where the loads are peaking.

And something has to give.

If this was on hard snow, you'd most likely spin out, or skip off on a tangent.

• Like 2

That thing you're doing?

Stop doing it.

If the goal is to smooth off the rough spots, consider that every input needs to both increase at a certain rate, and then decrease at a similar rate, in order to produce a consistent turn. This suggests that the tilt of the board should be progressive, rather than abrupt. Also that if you notice an increase in pressure under your front foot near the start of  a turn, that pressure should gradually fade somewhat toward the rear foot as the turn develops.

Similarly, a change in edge angle should roughly coincide with a change (and redistribution of) pressure underfeet.

->Watch your footage (in slow motion if necessary), and look for the places where inputs either come on rapidly, or halt.

Also, aim to ride off the soles of your feet, not the cuffs of the boots.

With that in mind, even things out, and the 'chatter' should subside. 

• Like 1