Note to New Members ×

Metal Axcess compares to which board that Donek makes now??

2012Alpine1

I do not see this board on the site. I have a T177 and am looking to find out what is a similar board from Donek. So I don’t buy a similar Donek. I want something more stable, lay it out board. Don’t get me wrong I like the ax just don’t want something similar. Thanks for any input. 

8 minutes ago, 2012Alpine1 said:

I do not see this board on the site. I have a T177 and am looking to find out what is a similar board from Donek. So I don’t buy a similar Donek. I want something more stable, lay it out board. Don’t get me wrong I like the ax just don’t want something similar. Thanks for any input. 

@Donek (Sean) has always been responsive to questions, he's great.  Talking directly to the builder is unsurpassed...

10 hours ago, 2012Alpine1 said:

Have you considered a Coiler? My experience with Bruce as a board builder and as a professional has far surpassed that with every board builder except for Marcel from Oxess.

But this is an Axxess https://dev.donek.com/product/axxess/

Edited by daveo

9 hours ago, daveo said:

Have you considered a Coiler? My experience with Bruce as a board builder and as a professional has far surpassed that with every board builder except for Marcel from Oxess.

I have had multiple experiences with Sean and only one with Bruce.  I don't see how, a design and build experience with Sean can possibly be "far surpassed", by anyone.  His customer service thought the entire process is old world, all encompassing customer service.  Don't get me wrong, Bruce was great. I just had a very similar experience with both builders.

20 minutes ago, workshop7 said:

I don't see how, a design and build experience with Sean can possibly be "far surpassed", by anyone.

I would say our expectations differ and I suspect that is due to us having differing levels of experience with board builders other than Donek.

We are lucky to have these master artisan board maker.
If you know what you want/like:  Sean can build it.
If you are unsure:  Bruce is a great board whisper.
Just my humble 2 cents.

This thread might also help: Axess is an all mountain shape. 
I find every couple of years i flip flop between a quiver and single board.

3 hours ago, Colozeus said:

Bruce built me an AM to my specs. It’s my favorite board and easily a quiver killer. Carve the groomers or pow in the trees. This board does it all. 

I have loved my Prior 4WD for years -- it's my go-to board any day it's not good groom or powder. I've often thought that a metal AM would be a great upgrade, but not sure I'm getting enough days in to justify another board...

3 hours ago, pow4ever said:

What's the spec to your All Mountain board?

Straight from Bruce's mouth:

Ended up making a 170 x 19.8 x 148 effective

17 cm nose with a wider pow outline (  up from 13.2 cm used on  Nirvana boards)

5 cm setback ( Nirvana's have 3 to 3.5 cm) 

Softboot biased flex which is seems to be best for true AM riding. 

This board should be called the tired legs board. I rode it today on my last day of this trip at loveland. My legs were already smoked from two prior open to close days. I was still having a blast with this board due to its flex profile. I even worked up the courage to carve spillway and it handled it without issues. This board just loves to be tipped on edge, then it just goes on autopilot. 

• Thanks 1