Note to New Members ×

Proper Powder riding technique?

pow4ever

I kinda know what a good carving should look/feel like.
What about powder riding? 
Any good video that demonstrate proper powder riding style with hardboot? 

What I am doing:
On fresh pow:  seems pretty easy; go straight and make smooth surfy turn.
On chopper up pow:  as Corey phrase it; plunge the back foot, kick turn while going straight down-ish.  Making powder splash side to side.

Doing this on 178 Dynastar 4807 is a blast.
First time I had it in proper powder.  Work great in powder and easy tree run while seeking shelter from the cold/wind.

4807 is a beautiful beast! Welcome to the club. 

Don't kick the back foot around. Just play with weight distribution and timing of feet engagement. Like, for a carve you'd do everything simultaneously with both feet. For "slarving" try doing everything with front foot first, then the rear follows the motion. Weight comes back a bit later then for carving. Also, some rotation of upper body and hips - anticipating the turn, helps a lot - it puts you in a better position to drive with legs. 

Also, play with the features in chop, plan your turn where there is something to help you. 

• Like 3

Thank you BlueB for the tip!  Too bad I only get to practice in powder once in a blue moon.

I believed I got the 4807 from you from way back when 🙂
Was always afraid of it for some strange/illogical reason.
Might because I rode it flat and couldn't make any turn; adding toe/heel lift really make it come alive for me.

Most boards work in pow.  be careful on your alpine board not to submarine.  Keep your speed up and check it into the turn or bump to regulate.  Set boots to pow mode, Deeluxe and ease your angles just a bit.  I ride an all mountain Donek for most east coast pow conditions.  Real powder, like they have been getting out west all winter, requires special gear for the deep stuff!

It all depends on what you mean by powder.

6-10 inches inbounds I like to lean back and maximize the surfy feeling turning with the front foot like a waterski.

Any deeper or if its for a longer run the first thing is to keep as much speed as you can control.  I find that leaning back robs me of power and mobility and want to be neutral or even lean forward if really charging. It helps to have a powder board or at least be back a bit on the bindings.

For bottomless powder its all about the bounce.  Not sure exactly what the timing is but It feels to me a bit like down-unweighting  with a slight delay.  If you come down just before exploding up then in that instant there is enough compression of snow beneath you that you can feel resistance and get some pop. This pop is enough that you may have unlinked tracks in powder that is waist deep and that is the feeling and the days I live for. 

My carving is not the euro push pull style but the powder technique seems to be similar.  There is certainly a pumping motion that propels you sometimes above the surface of the powder but also works to pump you a bit when coming to the flat and has got me further than just straight-lining it in these transitions. I think this technique favors stiffer and longer boards and have had great fun on carving boards that would submarine if not actively pumping like this while being unhappy trying a dedicated powder setup that is just to soft.

Someone who rides push-pull please comment. My focus has been the up and down but I suspect that there is a component of rotation to this. It is just so hard to commit to rotation because if I focus on that and need to make a quick adjustment I am only primed to turn one direction. 

• Thanks 1

@neanderthal

Thank you:  Great points on nomenclature of powder.  Inbound/resort for me:  gotta learn how to crawl before walk/run 🙂
Give me lots of think about next time I am lucky enough to encounter fresh snow with the right equipment.
I was trying all sort of different things but the snow get chopped up with each run and diminishing return sets in.

12 hours ago, carlito said:

Everything you do will slow you down - so do only what needs to be done.
Embrace the chaotic freedom of movement in three dimensions that comes with the speed and accompanying flight
Enjoy the ride.  Thank your riding partners/buddies and get back on the lift.  Those days are precious and fleeting.

Wow... Thank @carlito for the in depth and thoughtful/beautiful reply.
I hope one day to be able to comprehended it fully. 

13 hours ago, carlito said:

In short:

Point it until the board floats/get light. 

Stay centered once floating.

Turn gently but deftly

Everything you do will slow you down - so do only what needs to be done.

Embrace the chaotic freedom of movement in three dimensions that comes with the speed and accompanying flight

Enjoy the ride.  Thank your riding partners/buddies and get back on the lift.  Those days are precious and fleeting.

That's a great summary.  I watched you charge into stuff at MCC that made me fear for my life.  Inspiring to watch and to try to emulate!  

Carlito  - YES YES YES

On 2/20/2019 at 9:17 PM, carlito said:

A quick mental inventory can't bring to mind any time.  None.  Where I had a bad situation manifest itself by going too fast in powder (well, maybe one).  The opposite is quite common (this could just be me...)

We have all had that one time. I encourage everyone to think not just about the down up down of old-school powder 8 skiers but add a bit of the side to side that comes from the push-pull techniques.  You will be amazed at  the turns moving from squiggles to arcs but more importantly it allows you to force a turn when needed and not scrub speed then spend the next 10 min digging out. 

Of course this is speed dependent and more is better!

On 2/20/2019 at 9:17 PM, carlito said:

This one line sums it all up for me! Pardon me if I steal it in the future because you nailed it.