Note to New Members ×

Is "relaxing" carving possible?

pow4ever

On 1/14/2019 at 6:02 PM, pow4ever said:

As a pretty layback person; carving is a great outlet for Mr. Hyde side of me.

...Blah blah blah....

Maybe I won't like the sport as much if it's less savage/brutal lol...

This was your original post in the thread.

Enough waffling around. Get aggressive, then you can step back and relax after you show yourself you can do it. You're on the east coast right? Act like it. Conquer that shit. Let the west coasters play hacky sack with their avocados. Step on the gas pedal like you're driving away from a bank robbery. Get after it. Get pissed off at yourself. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

Yes sir.  I planned to ride it like an ape on fire while amped up on crystal meth when I am able to.  Just afraid those days are numbered as aches and creaks becoming the norm.
LOL @ avocado hacky sack!

Dr/Gabe:
Great points on the snow condition's impact on edge control.  Will paid more attention.

On mellower trail:  external "pumping, be aggressive" internal: fun/relax manner.
As it get steeper:  more angulation, less aggressive external appearance; less relax internal feeling
edge of comfort zone: more rotation,  dragging snow, going more uphill.  external: looks relax-ish, internal:  holy sh!t b@ll! we are going to die!

On 2/5/2019 at 9:57 PM, pow4ever said:

Nice!  I am glad it's not just my riding that's make people chuckle/laugh lol.

It's been a while since I've seen you ride.  Have any recent video to share?   You should just start your own Vlog!  

On 2/5/2019 at 10:39 PM, Beckmann AG said:

For the most part, maintain the bend of the board centered or slightly back of center, rather than front of center. That should allow you to run at a higher edge angle in softer snow without plowing/stalling. Also makes it a little easier to release the brakes when needed.

Thanks for the tip and insight.  I was actually playing around with that idea this past week after a fellow carver mentioned that easing off on the nose pressure helped.   Felt it working but can still be a bit of a balancing act to know how far you can tip it based on the conditions.  

Sometimes when I feel like I’m about to sink in too much, I will up unweight within the carve to allow me to continue the turn.  I will do this early before I get too high on edge, otherwise it will be too late.   Probably could have minimized the stalling in the first place by easing off pressure on the front of the board like you said.

• Thanks 1

On 2/6/2019 at 6:42 AM, Corey said:

Agreed; that pitch would get me pretty puckered up! Some day I'd like to charge something that steep with such confidence. 

Yeah, would probably need a few inspection/sliding runs to get up the nerve.  

Part of the challenge seems to been getting sufficient initial contact after transitioning.  The gaps in contact in between turns look pretty big at times due to speed and gravity.    The steepest turns almost resemble those that would be made by big mountain riders in powder.  There’s only so much you can do to control speed and fuller turns do not look possible.  And who knows about the consistency of the snow; just another thing to worry about!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Gabe T said:

You should just start your own Vlog!  

Coming up on:
"Most specular wipeout" and "American's funniest attempt at Alpine Snowboarding".
Video don't lie; I should try to get some footage and give up preserving the illusion that I am an ok rider lol..

Gabe you bring up lots of great points on riding in general/stalling and the steep. 
Something that I vaguely aware but was not able to articulate well.  Now I actually can start formulating a plan to work on it.

On 2/6/2019 at 11:28 AM, Erik J said:

Enough waffling around. Get aggressive, then you can step back and relax after you show yourself you can do it. You're on the east coast right? Act like it. Conquer that shit. Let the west coasters play hacky sack with their avocados. Step on the gas pedal like you're driving away from a bank robbery. Get after it. Get pissed off at yourself. 

Exactly, relaxed carving is what us East Coasters do when we head West to take a vacation from technique.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

There are some truth to that 🙂  Every time I went out west; feels pretty great/I got this.  Come back to the North East just have that hard reality check.
Don't remember which ECES; but bunch of West Coast rider show up and did awesome(condition was pretty West Coast like I recalled).  Just to show my fundamental/foundation still have much room for improvement.

John:  You will be proud of me I did take my board to Happy Tune and they did a great job.  Sharp edges really help for the North East condition.