Note to New Members ×

Donek Ryan twin

Hencloud

After help and advice.

I’ve just ordered a Knapton Twin and I’m now concerned. I don’t ride switch and want the board only for carving groomers. I stated this to Donek when I ordered the board and they still recommended the twin.

Doea anyone have experience of the twin my dims are 160cm 28cm and 8.7 scr. 

Should i buy a more directional shape or will the twin be just fine only ridden one way?

I'd be concerned, also. But just because personally, I think you sacrifice directional performance with a twin and that'd eat away at me every moment I ride the board. Obviously, it'll still carve well, just don't think it'll carve as well as it would if it were directional.

My argument is if you aren't sacrificing directional performance with a twin, then, why aren't all the GS/SL/BX racers riding twins?

It could be that he only has the testing and tooling set up for making 28cm wide boards as a knapton twin and nothing else.

Edited by daveo

1 hour ago, Hencloud said:

After help and advice.

I’ve just ordered a Knapton Twin and I’m now concerned. I don’t ride switch and want the board only for carving groomers. I stated this to Donek when I ordered the board and they still recommended the twin.

Doea anyone have experience of the twin my dims are 160cm 28cm and 8.7 scr. 

Should i buy a more directional shape or will the twin be just fine only ridden one way?

If they havent started production id email and ask if you can change your order to the Incline which is directional version. When i ordered my Incline i had a similar thing where they recomended the twin orignally until i restated my wish for Incline. Other than that little niggle my experience with the board and donek has been flawless 🙂

If i had to guess its purely from most people looking for ultra wides wanting Ryans board so it might be the unintentional default . 

I was going to post the email chain between me and donek but it doesn't amount to more than me going sorry i don't really ride switch so i want an incline.

Edited by scottishsurfer

I would trust Sean at Donek. Give him a call back and share your thoughts.  I have never had any of the North America board builders disappoint me.  Sean, Mark and Bruce are all amazing builders.  They all know how to build just what the customer wants from phone calls.  They do it everyday.  We are very fortunate to have so many custom build choices!

• Like 2

I don't ride soft or switch, so what do I know :boxing_sm...but isn't a Kanpton Twin ...already like Fat Bob Wide?? :eek:  like starts at 24 at the waist and goes up?

Unless you got Big Waffle Stomper Feet why ya need or want  that wide a board?  All that real estate is gonna slow it down edge to edge on the groomers.....and if ya "want it for the groomers"  then I'm sure your not gonna need all that width to set it up duckfoot...... 

...and buying a switch/twin when ya don't ride switch.......... well your gonna have to be on your game to keep it directional...imo  

8 minutes ago, lonbordin said:

As crazy as it seems to you @barryj

No need to get ya panties in a wad there LB     ....and it doesn't seem crazy to me at all, I understand boot sizes, bootout and angles are subjective..........just making sure the OP has more info to make best purchase for his needs.......

Edited by barryj

7 minutes ago, lonbordin said:

As crazy as it seems to you people have different sized feet and snowboard at different stance angles than you.

Blasphemy!  😉  

Low angles drives a wide board.  Even more so with a big heel cup sticking out behind your boot. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, daveo said:

Incline with the flux nose and tail design. Looks sweet.

Or get a 27cm wide metal Coiler for the same cost... 

I might get a incline/flux hybrid as my next board in a couple of years It depends a little on the camber profile of the flux. The more i ride my Incline the more I like the pure camber it has vs the early rise to camber that my SG soul and id suspect the flux has this also.

3 hours ago, scottishsurfer said:

I might get a incline/flux hybrid as my next board in a couple of years It depends a little on the camber profile of the flux. The more i ride my Incline the more I like the pure camber it has vs the early rise to camber that my SG soul and id suspect the flux has this also.

Would you mind elaborating a little on why you prefer one to the other (camber)? Just curious to know your experience. 

Edited by daveo

I feel like i get more positive initial bite of the edge when i enter into the turn or switch edges with pure camber. I feel like the early rise on the SG also had a detrimental effect on how supportive the nose was I'm guessing this was due to them thinning the core substantially to achieve the early rise. As result it was incredibly easy to over power and had a bad habit of wanting to climb over uneven loose snow rather than punch through and track where i want it to go. It sounds like i'm knocking the SG a fair bit but i'm really being picky, I really enjoy riding it i just feel like its design was compromised to make it easier and more forgiving to ride. I haven't ridden the flux and it might not have this issue but i feel for me it'd be far easier to just go full camber incline with the hammerhead nose and tail of the flux for the increased effective edge.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, scottishsurfer said:

I feel like the early rise on the SG also had a detrimental effect on how supportive the nose was I'm guessing this was due to them thinning the core substantially to achieve the early rise. As result it was incredibly easy to over power and had a bad habit of wanting to climb over uneven loose snow rather than punch through and track where i want it to go.

Perfect! I got my partner a Soul and she's never ridden before so this is good news.

41 minutes ago, scottishsurfer said:

I haven't ridden the flux and it might not have this issue but i feel for me it'd be far easier to just go full camber incline with the hammerhead nose and tail of the flux for the increased effective edge.

Look now you're just copying me haha

17 minutes ago, daveo said:

Perfect! I got my partner a Soul and she's never ridden before so this is good news.

Look now you're just copying me haha

I will say that early rise does make it very good in powder also.

Lol well if it makes you feel better I could call it flux with a incline camber profile/core 😅? to give you an idea of ludicrousness of what I'm thinking of 166cm 31waist 12-15vsr...

10 hours ago, scottishsurfer said:

I will say that early rise does make it very good in powder also.

Lol well if it makes you feel better I could call it flux with a incline camber profile/core 😅? to give you an idea of ludicrousness of what I'm thinking of 166cm 31waist 12-15vsr...

That's also good to hear since the Soul will essentially be her only board. I can't see her ever riding hardboots, honestly. But we will see.

Yes. That is ludicrous but I love it!!

All you need is a softboot isolation plate 🙂

Sean says the incline and twin are almost identical and the fsr of the twin is better rather than the vsr for carving.

Sean says

"The Knapton was originally called an incline twin.  It is almost the same board.  The primary difference is the centered versus offset stance.  The incline is available with a variable sidecut radius and a single radius sidecut."

Ryan however is very gushy about the flux and the incline when he tests them on his videos.

My twin has been delivered but not used. I could probably sell it for close to what I paid for it and use my Proto 2 this year and then get a directional which to be fair i thought Sean would have recommended as I made it clear I don't ride switch.