Note to New Members ×

WTF 2019

snowreport: sun jan 27, 2019
howdy all

wow! woke up to a beautiful blue sky morning and the mountain was looking good. the snow bus

was 20 minutes late and I tried to find everyone on the hill. I think there was 8 hardbooters, but

everyone was on their own. groomers was good, but on the icy side in the morning then got better

as it warmed up later in the day. the clouds soon move in with a little snow in the noontime then

about 2pm the sun comes out and by 3pm when I left it was nice and sunny and I did not want to

leave, but I was tired and hungry. I was warm when I left and back in town it felt like spring time

and the roads were dry with water puddles from melting snow all around. today was fun on the

small board and carved were it looked good...

rode the 157sc from 9 till 3...

snowreport: mon jan 28, 2019
howdy all

a beautiful blue sky morning with great groomers. gets a little cloudy in the afternoon then it clears

again in the later afternoon with bluebird skies. colder temps kept the snow good all day and did not

get wet-n-slushy. cold overnight temps should make tomorrow really good. today was a nice day and

is the first day I stayed from bell to bell. rode with shred, Cuban and kram and I rode the softies. was

a fun day... lunch at the hellroaring chalet... goodtimes...

rode the 159sgs from 9 till 4...

• Like 1

snowreport: tue jan 29, 2019
howdy all

another beautiful blue sky morning and it was all day. colder temps kept the snow good and firm

then later in the afternoon the sun made it a little soft and then it got really good. today's group

included shred, Cuban, kram, rick, and me then met up with a local greg and johnasmo. the groomers

was as good as it gets and with the sunshine today it was epic groomers. I watched the boys rip it

up and i took it easy today after yesterdays softbooting all day I was pooped and my right knee felt

a little buggy. today is day 51 for me and there's  68 more days till the end of the season. it was nice

to see kram again and his riding is much better, maybe it was the cookies and i should have gotten

one so I could ride as good... thank you Cuban for lunch... today was truly epic and one to be

remembered... goodtimes… I think rick lost track of time and we caught the 3pm snowbus… cookies...

rode the 165amt from 9 till 3...

snowreport: wed jan 30, 2019
howdy all

there is a high pressure in the northwest and we are on the border of the polar vortex that is

putting the Midwest in a deep freeze and keeping us here on the warmer side. today a weak

inversion and super high overcast in the morning then by the afternoon the sun comes out for

a little while and warmed up the snow and made it just right for some epic carving. did a bunch

of runs with Cuban and rick then later met up with rob and greg and did a Ptarmigan Bowl run,

those guys rip... I wanted to stay longer but my old body said "no mas" so called it at 2pm...

epic groomers and some good hard carving... today was really good... and still cold...

rode the 171turnstub from 9 till 2...

snowreport: thu jan 31, 2019
howdy all

today a little warmer, but still cold with the humidity. grey and flat lighting and snowing in the

morning. groomers was on the wet side and a bit stiff and harsh and grabby in spots. not the

best day and I wasn't up to the task and I think Cuban felt the same. on my last run I could not

get a good carve and looked like I did not know what I was doing... ha ha… time to call it... saw

a young kid laying down some nice carves like ryan k then slams into his dad... poor thing...

forecast is a warmer snowy weekend then way cooler temps during the week... should be good...

rode the 171turnstub from 9 till 1...

snowreport: fri feb 01, 2019
howdy all

the last day of WTF2019 was nice comfy temps and with super high overcast and flat lighting.

snow was a little funky, but carved good. I brought the small board thinking it was going to be

an icy morning, but it carved good early on then got skied off like sand and was a little funky.

mostly Cuban, Fred and me and a sighting of shred and a few runs with johnasmo. it was a

great day and the boys was ripping the cords to shreds and I was taking it easy and having

fun just watching them. my right big toe is becoming an issue from an old injury from a couple

of years ago. it has gotten bigger and swollen and painful. there is still two more months to go.

it was fun to see and ride with Shred and Cuban again and this year it was great groomers

with a couple of nice bluebird days. as always fun to see kram and glad he made it here again.

forecast is a warm up with rain/snow Saturday in the 40's then slight cooler with lots of snow

on Sunday then super cold on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday... 1 million vert...

rode the 157fp from 9 till 3...

We enjoyed a great WTF. More sun and groom than I can remember. It was great seeing everyone. It was touch and go but we made it to the airport. West  you have a SD card at the Mountain photo booth. I did get the pictures this year. If you can pass it around to Fred and John.   Hope you get more snow carving on garth. 

snowreport: sat feb 02, 2019
howdy all

stayed home today and slept all morning. it looked wet early and really foggy early in the morning.

got up about noon and it was nice and mostly sunny in town and the fog hung on the mountain.

did not rain as forecasted and it was very nice and warm for our whitefish winter carnival parade.

the parade was from 3pm till 4pm and the theme was Woodstock... goodtimes… really warm and

tomorrow should be icy underneath with some pow, but how much?... it's midnight and no snow

yet... we are in a winter storm warning and are expecting 4 to 8 inches in town and more in the

mountains thru Monday with colder temps... Cuban thank you for the photos... enjoy Tahoe...

snowreport: sun feb 03, 2019
howdy all

so much for the epic pow day... more like epic high winds... the snow was blasting off the roof and

off the ground and pulverized like dust and flying everywhere and it is so cold the old snow is drying

out. so I did not have to decide to go or not. the big reported that they would not run chair 1 and all

the lifts on the backside. then at 10:30am they closed chair 2 all due to very high winds...

here is the big's snow report...

Deep thoughts by Eli*:

Special Notice: Buckaroo programs will be cancelled tomorrow (Monday, February 4) due to extreme weather.

11:04 a.m. Update: Due to the weather and mountain closures, uphill access is closed today.

11:00 a.m. Update: The Magic Carpet is closing due to snow difficulties.

10:30 a.m. Update: Chair 2 is closing due to high winds. 

Notice: Chairs 1, 4, 5, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, and T-Bar 2 will be closed due to  extreme weather. Lift ticket prices will be discounted as a result of the limited opening today.

The Tommy Moe Kids Race and Kids Ski School programs will be cancelled today.

6:00 a.m. Report: A coating of snow lies on the road all the way down into town and the snow is still falling. A mild wind is blowing in the village and temperatures are currently mellow, but conditions are expected to change considerably through the day.

High temperatures hit the mountain yesterday and the lower slopes were slushy. That won't be a problem today, but refrozen snow will create variable conditions all over the hill. There is a fresh inch of snow at the summit and half an inch fell in the village, so keep your eyes out for hidden snow textures! 

Don't let that intimidate you, because smooth snow is guaranteed all over the slopes where our groomers have been working overnight. They've served up over 50 groomed runs for the day, including a couple trails like Kodiak and Mully's Moguls that aren't groomed on a daily basis!

Whatever you plan on skiing today, dress wisely because the forecast calls for extreme weather: very high gusts of wind, very low wind chill values, and continued snowfall. Drive and ski safely!

snowreport: mon feb 04, 2019
howdy all

well, I needed a break, but now i'm getting restless... another super cold windy morning then

the wind kinda dies down and the sun comes out about noon and I thought about going up,

but it is still too cold. so shoveled all the wind blown snow around the house. only the lower

mountain opened and chair 6 was not running so they opened chair 10. very few people on

the hill from the webcams. forecast is more wind tomorrow and very cold temps all week...

howdy Cuban, yes, we had a very good wtf2019 with great groomers and good weather...

snowreport: tue feb 05, 2019
howdy all

I should have gone up today as the sky was mostly clear with the sun shining later in the afternoon.

the early morning looked cold and lite fog and lite snow, but soon cleared up. the big's snow report

did not sound very inviting so stayed home again. windy early then calm later and got cloudy by 4pm

and started to lightly snow and it was much warmer. will go tomorrow rain or shine... my right foot

got a little buggy from shoveling snow yesterday... 4 days of no riding...

snowreport: wed feb 06, 2019
howdy all

well, my foot was still buggy, but I went anyways cause it was a great morning and still very cold.

stayed on chair 2 cause it was cold with a little wind from the north and the thought of going to

the summit seemed brutally cold. the groomers was icy crunchy with a little wind blown snow

and dry and grippy. Saturday was really warm and must have gotten slushy then the next few days

was crazy wind and super cold and dried the snow. kinda funky snow with lots bits from the trees

blown around. today carved good and it took awhile to trust my edge then pushed it hard and

forgot about my foot so now I am paying for it. I should stay home tomorrow... will see... today

was fun... a little sun early then high overcast, but vis was good... chair 1 was cold early then a

little warmer later in the day... summit temp read minus 2...

rode the 163mfc from 9 till 2...

snowreport: thu feb 07, 2019
howdy all

well... yesterday was good and rode hard for 5 hours and paid the price. now my right foot on the

right side is swollen and I can't walk on it. it swelled up during the night and I am so bummed. hope

it goes away fast so I can ride again... these cooler temps will make the groomers very good...

did not bother to look at the conditions on the hill cause it is killing me not going... there goes my

snowboarding career...

snowreport: fri feb 08, 2019
howdy all

did not go up my right foot is f'ed up again and it seems like every year I have foot issues. the big

reported 4 inches on the summit and 9 inches in the village. I assume the crazy wind had blown

the snow down the lower mountain. huh... don't remember if they closed chair 1... hopping on one

foot and crawling around...

snowreport: sat feb 09, 2019
howdy all

from the big's snow report...

Summit (6,817 ft./2,078 m)

Overnight Snow: 5"/13cm
Settled Base: 85"/216cm
Total to Date: 172"/437cm
6am Temp: -18°F/-28°C

24hr Snow: 5"/13cm
7 Day Snow: 17"/44cm
Current Conditions: Blowing Snow
Visibility/Wind: Poor/NE at 19mph

Lower Mountain (4,464 ft./1,361 m)

24hr Snow: 4"/11cm
Village Settled: 36"/92cm
Total to Date: 77"/196cm
6am Temp: -5°F/-21°C

7 Day Snow: 17"/44cm
Current Conditions: Blowing Snow
Visibility/Wind: Poor/3mph

Deep thoughts by Rhyan*:

8:30 SPECIAL NOTICE: All Chairs will be closed today. The Base Lodge and Ed & Mully's will be open. Again, this is decision is based on the extreme conditions on the upper and lower mountain. Rest those legs up, hibernate for the day and get ready for tomorrow. With all this blowing snow, new snow, and snow from the trees, Sunday's going to be another great powder day! WE ARE ALSO CLOSED FOR UPHILL TRAVEL TODAY.

7:15 Update: Chairs 1, 8, 7, 11, 5, and the T-Bar will not open today. Check back for possible closures on the frontside/lower mountain lifts. These conditions are not meant for humans or even a Yeti for the matter...

6:00 a.m. Report: Dispatch from the Rebel Base on Hoth... It's a full-on blizzard up here. Temperatures are in the negatives across the mountain and we're looking at a high of -9 for the summit today and a wind chill factor as low as -52 with sustained winds at 33 mph. Chair 1 (as well as all the lifts it services) will likely close today. While we'd like to have all normal chairs running, safety is our first concern. Check back with the Snow Report around 7:45 a.m. this morning for updated info on closures and conditions.

Please note that widespread blowing snow is likely playing with today's reported new snow and settled base numbers. Trails are being covered almost immediately after being groomed. Dry snow in the trees is being whipped off and adding to new snow totals. Depths across the mountain will vary widely.

Special Note: Night Skiing for this evening has been canceled due to the low temps, sustained winds and wind chill factors. Today's kids' programs are canceled due to weather as well. Group and Private Lessons will be available. Sunday kids' programs are still scheduled at this time, however we will update this report and contact parents if conditions change. 

The Whitefish Whiteout Race has been postponed to February 23rd due to the extremely cold temperatures and will chill as well.

snowreport: thu feb 14, 2019
howdy all

happy valentines day to all you ladies... wow! after a week of not riding it was good to be back on snow.

got up late and looked out side and it was a beautiful bluebird morning. got on snow at noon and it was

kinda chewed up, but still carveable. was a little warm and calm with the sun then a light super high

overcast builds with some very strong winds and gust were blowing the snow off the trees and got

colder. forecast is more snow tonight and the next few days then colder artic air from the northeast.

my right foot is still a little swollen, but not sore and it is getting back to normal size. wasn't the best

carving day as I move my bindings back on a 165cc which did not work well and I struggled...

rode the 165cc from 12 till 3...

snowreport: fri feb 15, 2019
howdy all

kinda nice day, high overcast not bad vis and comfy temps and a couple inches of good dense

snow and lightly snowing all morning. the big reported 1in. of new, but there was more than that.

carved good on ed's first thing in the morning then got bumped up fast with the heavy cream.

I was done by noon, but cruised around till 1pm. went in between toni matt and the pond and

went close to a little tree and my nose fell in a hole and my tail was against the tree and I was

stuck for awhile, but was able to pop my front binding then the back and got loose. I was able

to free myself, but I could see how someone could get in trouble... was a fun day and carved

hard thru the heavy push piles...

rode the 165amt from 9 till 1...

snowreport: sat feb 16, 2019
howdy all

super busy first thing in the morning. grey humid cold and soft groomers with a little new on top.

funky snow and too soft and yet wet firm and the high traffic bumped it up and chewed it up. I wanted

to ride my soft boots, but my foot is still not ready for it, it would have been a better choice. crazy crowds

so stayed on chair 2 all morning. chair 1 was really busy so I did not go up to the summit. I did not make

any good carves and just slid around and worked on my vertical. the snow conditions really sucked...

holiday madness for a few more days... forecast is high winds and colder temps with some snow...

rode the 165amt from 9 till 11:30...