Note to New Members ×

Carving + Surfing = Curfboard?

bobble

I'd like to try that.  The principle of no-push pumping is the same as on a toy my kids had, the Plasma Car.  I'll bet they would like to come up with a solution for the rear truck too.  The BMW Streetcarver comes to mind.

1 hour ago, Jack Michaud said:

I'll bet they would like to come up with a solution for the rear truck too.  The BMW Streetcarver comes to mind.

That's his design too! ^ 

Every pair of trucks can be configured to pump effortlessly, including uphill! However, some configurations and pairings work better then others... 

Edited by BlueB

7 hours ago, RCrobar said:

I can't say enough about how much fun a surfskate set of trucks are (C7 or CX), how great they are for summer training and how great they work in general.  If you love boarding, the best couple hundred bucks you can spend would be a CARVER skateboard as it is less than a set of snowboard bindings!  

+1,  i have an arbor with gullwing sidewinder trucks. its fun board to ride. easy to pump. 

the curfboard trucks... i like the concept but wondering about the strength of the flanges around the pivot. maybe its a non-issue.

Smaller decks favor this...my first back in 59 ?  was a 4 x14 in. 3/4 marine ply with metal skate wheels and rubber bushing removed...yea, it was loose to say the least, but that Stick was a major player in developing my Core and the Ability to Surf when the Ocean was Flat...Cali sidewalks also were incredible where I lived...you could pump turns for miles 

1 hour ago, philw said:

Interesting, but the "pumping" action doesn't look all that great to me. I've no clue about this stuff, but would not a "boosted" board give a similar ride without having to do the body movements?

I don't think so, no. The front truck on the board shown in the video achieves a greater angle than a normal truck, which I think improves the riders ability to pump-turn. I'm no expert in these things so somebody can correct me if I am wrong.

Boosted boards have become all the rage hereabouts (along with every other electronically-assisted means of navigating sidewalks without the added bonus of exercise); but I would (personally) not be caught dead on one (or any of its ilk), though I think I am in the minority there. 

I would maybe give it a try if they sold the front truck only. Not paying $470 for a setup that comes with generic wheels, bearings, rear truck, and a flat deck. I'll stick with my slalom setups, at that price. They feel a whole lot more like snowboard carving than any "surfskate" setup can.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, queequeg said:

Boosted boards and every other electronically-assisted means of navigating sidewalks without the added bonus of exercise have become all the rage hereabouts; but I would (personally) not be caught dead on one (or any of its ilk), though I think I am in the minority there. 

I tried one. Not for me. Just something about the board seemed a bit off. I didn't like accelerating from dead stop. You had to brace for it.

1 hour ago, philw said:

Interesting, but the "pumping" action doesn't look all that great to me. I've no clue about this stuff, but would not a "boosted" board give a similar ride without having to do the body movements?

That's just cheating. Pumping the board is really a good workout. Points for style.

When you become decent at pumping a longboard, people will stop and ask you if you're riding one of those "electric skateboards".

58 minutes ago, Mig said:

I would maybe give it a try if they sold the front truck only. Not paying $470 for a setup that comes with generic wheels, bearings, rear truck, and a flat deck. I'll stick with my slalom setups, at that price. They feel a whole lot more like snowboard carving than any "surfskate" setup can.

Bingo! 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, west carven said:

howdy

similar looking contraption... doesn't say what it is...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDG_7m6o3ZQ

Wonderful Vid. West!

This kinda freaked me out, it shows why Toledo and Florence and many others use skating as a way to stay in Tune...

Fact is Skating was started by Surfers to Surf on Land when the waves were flat! I know that because I was there at the time it started...at around 35 seconds or so I thought I was looking at myself on our driveway in 59,  I spent hours and hours practicing bottom turns and cutbacks...watch the hands and how they lead, like a conductor with his orchestra...

Thanks...Loved this! ? :biggthump

Edited by softbootsurfer

1 hour ago, DonPablo said:

Buy one Bob so I can try it ?

I have an Arbor with Sidewinders if you want to try it. Dual kingpins. Its a turny board. I just use it for pumping around Nokomis or CALHOUN or however that lake name is pronounced.

Not sure how it would compare to Curfboard or Carver.

After watching the Carver videos, I'm having some buyers remorse.