Note to New Members ×

Off the shelf footbeds

digger jr

Has anyone gotten some non custom footbeds? I’ve seen more of them advertised lately and they seem to have different arch height ect. Not trying to diss custom beds as I have them myself and won’t go back. Working with some newbs and when I tell them they should get close to $200.00 foot beds they give me a funny look ?.

Edited by digger jr

1 hour ago, ursle said:

Might be large volume?

But hard body heat molding suckers 50$

https://www.custom-insoles.com/

I bought the heat moldable Sidas footbed for $100 and they made a significant difference in comfort and fit.

I’m going to get theses when the Sidas wear out.  From the description they appear to be made of the same material as my daughter’s moldable shim guards for soccer. The only problem was if the shin guards were overheated by the sun they softened up and returned to they original shape.

Yeah, some of them are okay and some suck in that while the arch is plenty high the damn things collapse under weight so you best hope your shoe or boot is narrow enough to support it. 

but that said I have a mega wide foot, long arch that collapses so few options work for me. 

I personally don’t need a ton of posting(hard material like plastic) just a lot of material mid arch..... I have some off the shelf jobs that work really well but in a hardboot they are problematic. I have used off the shelf moldable jobs and they weren’t that bad and I’ve also reheated ski shop custom jobs with great success. 

My oldest set of footbeds is the best one I’ve had..... I realized they puffed up a little when I did a set of thermoflex liners so the next time they packed down I dipped them in hot water popped them in my boots and got in real quick and sure enough they were like new. I wish I knew what brand they are, they really work well. 

14 hours ago, digger jr said:

Has anyone gotten some non custom footbeds? I’ve seen more of them advertised lately and they seem to have different arch height ect. Not trying to diss custom beds as I have them myself and won’t go back. Working with some newbs and when I tell them they should get close to $200.00 foot beds they give me a funny look ?.

Have switched to BootDoc Stability 7 with Palau Liners recently. 50% success.They work quite well on my right foot. ;-)

I have a pair of Sidas custom footbeds in my snowboard boots. Love them.

I use 2 different pair of Superfeet for normal use. I've used black, red, blue and green. Black ones fit my foot best, followed by red. The other two are too archy for me.

I also have a pair of SOLE heat up at home footbeds, which I felt didn't fit my foot properly even after molding.

On 4/14/2018 at 7:34 PM, SEJ said:

Non moldable can be fine IF they match your foot. Gotta stand on them to find out. Beats the hell out of the crap that comes with boots.

Miss you and Gloria bro

Miss you guys too Goose.

Thanks for all the replies. Good info. Going to look at some Superfeet for my work shoes.

3 hours ago, digger jr said:

Miss you guys too Goose.

Thanks for all the replies. Good info. Going to look at some Superfeet for my work shoes.

Quick tip, order from a place you can send stuff back, buy a few sizes. With wide feet if you size up and trim them down you usually can get it right....... 

32 minutes ago, bobdea said:

Quick tip, order from a place you can send stuff back, buy a few sizes. With wide feet if you size up and trim them down you usually can get it right....... 

It's doable, but keep in mind the arch support will move slightly forward with oversized insole. 

5 hours ago, BlueB said:

It's doable, but keep in mind the arch support will move slightly forward with oversized insole. 

Yes, thats part of it is wide feet generally just need more support anyway, especially in that first 3rd of the arch

+1 for the Superfeet Black ("Carbon") - very low volume, so didn't make my UPZ boots fit tighter (they're plenty tight enough!), but the underfoot support is much better than the stock beds, as well as than the molded underfoot fit (initially tried my Intuition liners w/o a foot bed) that I got out of my molding my Intuition liners.

My local running store let me purchase and try out the Superfeet (including trimming them to fit in my liners), with the option to return them if I wasn't 100% satisfied w/ them. (even after trimming them) This seemed to be a Superfeet thing (vs just a thing by the running store), so it might be worth finding a local place, and see if they offer that same option, if you do decide to go w/ the Superfeet insoles.

2 hours ago, bobdea said:

Yes, thats part of it is wide feet generally just need more support anyway, especially in that first 3rd of the arch

I agree on that too, sometimes do it myself. Just thought it's worth mentioning. 

On 4/13/2018 at 7:24 PM, digger jr said:

Given that a lot of 'custom' footbeds aren't significantly different than 'off the rack', perhaps a bit of skepticism is in order.

And then there's the part where many take their feet for granted, not realizing the gains that might be had from properly tuned support.

->With regard to your crew, are you looking to resolve/enhance comfort, structural support, or data transmission between feet and brain?

Fyi, 'arch support' is a misnomer. Be careful stabilizing a wobbly foot by way of arch fill.

I have seen cases where it was necessary (in conjunction with metatarsal support) but in those situations the arch structure itself had almost no integrity. 

Edited by Beckmann AG