Note to New Members ×

Corran

So I took out the Moss Wing Swallow for the first time today. As a starting point I set up the bindings the same was as my modified O'Sin. Hooo boy is it different. At first I thought it rode remarkably like my 1993 Sims Kidwell. First run... I didn't love it. I was really bummed...

4-5 runs later I was really getting into it and by the end of the day, I was stoked. 

I can push my O'Sin a lot harder on the groomer, and especially when hitting ice, and it's a more stable predictable ride. But I can really whip the Moss around, and in mixed terrain, especially as soon as there is even a couple of inches of fluff, it's amazing. 

I've moved both bindings forward an inch for tomorrow, and given the snow we have falling, should get some good snow conditions tomorrow.

29186366_10157174829894128_372199026897977344_n.jpg

29133821_10157174830124128_8324642545254531072_n.jpg

image-6de4183daeb5c6be0370883d54e187d2_v_1458163809.jpg

• Like 2

Beautiful board Corran!       

As for setting up your bindings......I'm on my 4th Moss and from my experience - Forget What You Think You Know About Where To Set Your Bindings With A Moss.      Start with centering your bindings over the recommended "dot" pattern on the inserts......   I swear, no matter what I think I need, I always end up with my binding centered on the dot with one foot and within 1 set of insets of the "recommended dot pattern" on the other foot.  Start There and the Moss will speak to you - Trust Me!

Here's a new Moss MMD and a close up of the recommended center "dot" 

1.jpg

2.jpg

On 3/13/2018 at 8:04 PM, barryj said:

Beautiful board Corran!       

As for setting up your bindings......I'm on my 4th Moss and from my experience - Forget What You Think You Know About Where To Set Your Bindings With A Moss.      Start with centering your bindings over the recommended "dot" pattern on the inserts......   I swear, no matter what I think I need, I always end up with my binding centered on the dot with one foot and within 1 set of insets of the "recommended dot pattern" on the other foot.  Start There and the Moss will speak to you - Trust Me!

Here's a new Moss MMD and a close up of the recommended center "dot" 

1.jpg

2.jpg

I got there quite by chance on my own - was struggeling to get it dialed in and then ended up centered on their insert pattern, and also 1" narrower than what I usually ride and it solved it.

54 minutes ago, barryj said:

Corran Ha!  The Moss Whisperer!   :biggthump

FWIW - Why this got moved into "Off Topic" is baffling to me...and a little insulting!    Seems this is more on topic than.... Achy KneesI

Asked Admin why...no answer yet.

Probably should be in All-mountain riding or board review sections... I don't see anything too strange about it. 

It means usually that you look for stiff bindings and stiff boots.

But i see that you can carve on anything, just don't get point. Been there, done that, and now getting out of that due don't get any benefit of that.
I rather ride with optimal gear for powder riding when riding on soft boots.  

52 minutes ago, BlueB said:

Back to Moss topic, what's the point of the wings? They seem detrimental in anything but bottomless pow... 

Well I assumed so you could have the release edge without rocker. But have rocker when you need it. 

Not entirely sure yet if it does more than look awesome lol... 

Yesterday das a foot of fresh powder. It was odd at first aver I felt like I was constantly about to go over the bars, which defeats the point of the shape but figured out that it was just sticky snow as everyone was going ass over tea kettle. 

I narrowed my stance an inch and centered them on the inserts and that made a big difference. 

Is still weird feeling but I'm enjoying the challenge of figuring out a new board i can't just jump on and drive. 

Was out there yesterday also.

One of the most fun day of this year.

The Dupraz slayed everything in is path. I mean litarelly killing everything. Snowboarders , skiers .  Heavy powder 

Had 4 snowboarders stop me lol to know was I was riding. My friend couldn't believe how fast I could go. 

Still like my beat up Dupraz for pow

Next when it dies is a Fullbag Lifer.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, barryj said:

Corran Ha!  The Moss Whisperer!   :biggthump

FWIW - Why this got moved into "Off Topic" is baffling to me...and a little insulting!    Seems this is more on topic than.... Achy KneesI

Asked Admin why...no answer yet.

Hi guys.  I'm helping Fin with the administration of the forum during this transitional period.  I was also a moderator from 2003 to 2013.  The original post in this thread is about a powder board, and does not mention carving.  Also, discussing powder boards that happen to carve ok was never the intent of the Carving Central forum.  Nor is Carving Central simply a catch-all for "adult snowboarding".  This thread also does not belong in the All-Mountain Hardbooting forum.  No shame in the Off Topic forum whatsoever!  Thanks for your participation and understanding.

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Corey said:

Barry, do you work for Moss?  Or sponsored by them?

Ha!   No, not sponsored!,  I wish I got free rides from Moss!   Just a big fan...and to take the opportunity to push some buttons  of the pundits here that show disdain at my "steep angles on such a wide board" !