Note to New Members ×

New board recommendations

crobeck

After doing some riding with guys the other day, all of which had much newer boards than myself, I have decided to look into updating my equipment.  I want to reach out to people on the forum to see what they recommend.  Right now I ride a....ahem...95 factory prime.  Good board, but technology has come a long way.  Not a racer, but want something that will let me throw down hard turns when I want.

...and go.

Bruce from Coiler will make you a board that will free carve trenches in the hill that you will love. He pays very good attention to detail. Negatives? He is a one man show and you may not get much use on it this year as it will take a bit.

Sean from Donek will customize you a very fast board, and make it as you want it. The new Secret is super damp, and doesn't rattle your future dentures. Negatives? Not sure, but he does like his race inspired boards...

I have purchased new from both and cannot complain. I have / have ridden many others, and I actually suck compared to most as an alpine rider as these other from this forum, these guys just make it look easy; but I can say for me, both of these companies representative actually listened to me and made me what I wanted, regardless if I asked the stupid questions, so for me, they get the best of thumbs up.

I'm not as knowledgeable as many here to try to recommend a specific board, but it seems that many people choose a modern 170'ish freecarve board with titanal construction, like a Coiler Nirvana Balance or a Donek Freecarve.  The newer freecarve boards generally have a tighter sidecut for a given length than the old Burtons, so they're good all around carvers and popular on the used market if you decide to resell and go with something else.  In fact, unless you know exactly what you want, picking up a used one would be a safe investment versus a custom build.  

Edited by Wolf
typo

I can't comment on Bruce, from Coiler, as I've not purchased anything from him, but having been through the 'which board should I get' exercise twice with Sean, from Donek (the first time 10 years ago, the second time, just this past year), I can attest that he will listen to what you have to say, and will make one or more highly astute recommendations based on your conversation(s) with him. He has been very patient, has answered my endless questions - both by phone and email - repeatedly - and has provided me with game-changing boards, on both occasions. (From what I've read, I'm sure that Coiler would be equally accommodating, but I can only speak to my experience with Donek.)

I'd strongly recommend talking directly to one or both of these well-reputed board builders - That's likely where you're going to find your answer!

Edited by jim_s

+1 on Sean.  Used to buy off the shelf until  it became harder and harder to find mainstream boards over 170 cm.   One patient phone call and a few even more patient emails later, I had a board that fit me perfectly from the very first turn.  One thing I learned though is not to underestimate how a modern, “tailored-to-you” board will improve your confidence and technique and thus potentially your set up.   For example I had Sean build me a board with a wider width than standard based on the angles I had been running for years on my Supermodel.  After a year on the new board I started steepening my stance angles and now I have some underhang that I wish I didn’t. 

From talking to Bruce at Coiler, he is done taking order for this year due to his upcoming surgery. I have not ridden his board yet as I just got it but the construction is top notch and from what people say about his board, i am sure it will ride awesome (almost saturday!!). Plus price is awesome as it is in canadian $.

I also worked with Sean from Donek to buy nee snowboard after demo-ing at ATC last year, it was very good communication and fast response. Also the board was made really quick. You really cannot go wrong with either Donek nor Coiler. 

I’ve had other boards such as SG, kessler, f2 but I am now convinced that Customizability of Donek and coiler is the way to go. They will listen to you and suggest a board that fits your style. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, workshop7 said:

What model FP do you have?  What do you like and not like about it?

I have a 173 with the 190 waist.  I can't say that I dislike much about it, to be honest.  It may not be as stiff as it used to be.  The only thing that I would say is that when I really get into aggressive into a big carve that it seems to slide a bit, which I can see in the snow.  That could be technique though too.

Edited by crobeck

1 hour ago, crobeck said:

I have a 173 with the 190 waist.  I can't say that I dislike much about it, to be honest.  It may not be as stiff as it used to be.  The only thing that I would say is that when I really get into aggressive into a big carve that it seems to slide a bit, which I can see in the snow.  That could be technique though too.

I was on a Donek Slalom board for 10+ years. I loved the board - it was everything I seek in a board - tight, super lively, needs to be stayed on top of and driven the whole time - the works. I was quite skeptical that Donek could build me something better than what I had, but it was getting old, tired, and floppy - definitely less lively than it used to be. I've been blown away by the difference in my new board (Donek MK). In many, many ways, its quite similar to my old SL board (same attributes listed above), but its better in several key ways, as well, which I attribute to the improvement in materials and general design experience that Sean has adopted over the past 10+ years. (Edge hold is like nothing I've ever experienced - all the way up to solid ice, this thing just rails!)

Bottom line, I had an older board that I loved, and that I didn't fully believe could be improved on significantly, but the developments between when it was built and now, were quite significant, and made a big difference.

I suspect you'll be quite pleasantly surprised and impressed if you move to a contemporary board!

• Like 1

What do you guys think of Prior boards. I'm in the same boat at a crobeck. I ride a 1998 Prior 4x4 175. Its the only alpine board Ive ever riden (got it freshman year in College) and have a lot of fun on it, but looking for something new and updated. Nobody would think about a Prior? Want something this year so I would consider a Donek too. Interested to hear what you guys think? Also, is it fine to use those Catek bindings on a new board? Thanks! 

20180201_210219 (1).jpg

27 minutes ago, jim_s said:

I was on a Donek Slalom board for 10+ years. I loved the board - it was everything I seek in a board - tight, super lively, needs to be stayed on top of and driven the whole time - the works. I was quite skeptical that Donek could build me something better than what I had, but it was getting old, tired, and floppy - definitely less lively than it used to be. I've been blown away by the difference in my new board (Donek MK). In many, many ways, its quite similar to my old SL board (same attributes listed above), but its better in several key ways, as well, which I attribute to the improvement in materials and general design experience that Sean has adopted over the past 10+ years. (Edge hold is like nothing I've ever experienced - all the way up to solid ice, this thing just rails!)

Bottom line, I had an older board that I loved, and that I didn't fully believe could be improved on significantly, but the developments between when it was built and now, were quite significant, and made a big difference.

I suspect you'll be quite pleasantly surprised and impressed if you move to a contemporary board!

I was looking at the new Donek Metal FC...wow!  I like the progressive sidecut that it has on it.  Starts with 11 and tapers down to a 12 on a 175 board.  That would definitely getting me cutting into the turns a lot faster than the radius of 14 on my board....but still allow me to hold the edge on long carves.

45 minutes ago, TheWho997 said:

What do you guys think of Prior boards. I'm in the same boat at a crobeck. I ride a 1998 Prior 4x4 175. Its the only alpine board Ive ever riden (got it freshman year in College) and have a lot of fun on it, but looking for something new and updated. Nobody would think about a Prior? Want something this year so I would consider a Donek too. Interested to hear what you guys think? Also, is it fine to use those Catek bindings on a new board? Thanks! 

Nothing wrong with Prior at all.  Some people swear by them.  I started on a 4x4 and really liked it.  You can get one at a pretty attractive price with the exchange rate.  I think most people on here are more familiar with Donek's and Coiler's offerings.  Donek definitely has a more much comprehensive lineup than Prior and can easily get you custom goods.  Can't go wrong with any of the three.  It all comes down to board style preference, price, and when you want it.  Can't speak for sure on those Cateks but people still use them.

16 hours ago, TheWho997 said:

Noting wrong with those. I ride a Prior with Cateks myself :)

(huuuuuge Catek nerd)

2018-01-18_13-42-30_836.jpeg

On 2/2/2018 at 12:08 AM, crobeck said:

I was looking at the new Donek Metal FC...wow!  I like the progressive sidecut that it has on it.  Starts with 11 and tapers down to a 12 on a 175 board.  That would definitely getting me cutting into the turns a lot faster than the radius of 14 on my board....but still allow me to hold the edge on long carves.

A Donek Metal FC (Freecarve) or a Coiler NFC (Nirvana Freecarve) are both great choices as all around carvers.  Like you said, the tighter radius really make for easier turn initiation than the old larger/single radius Burton.  And the titanal improves edge hold and smooths out the ride.  The other day I was riding on fast, hard (but not icy) re-frozen boilerplate and my Coiler NFC just held an edge until my old legs wouldn't bend anymore.

On 2/1/2018 at 11:43 PM, TheWho997 said:

Nobody would think about a Prior?

I think Priors are a little harder to come by. Just got my first runs on a  Prior recently, a new-to-me WCRM from maybe 10 years ago, and loved it. Seems really versatile, grips like crazy, very damp but with subtle pop between turns, making edge change effortless.

I'll add that Donek, Coiler, and Prior have a solid reputation for being durable. The metal construction used for most boards now results in a pretty thin core, and that can be a hazard for heavier riders and/or those who ride hard. So, as one of the former, I really appreciate the special attention these builders give to durability.

23 hours ago, MUD said:

Did you talk to the guys on the hill at MES?

Alot of us are on Coilers (I have 2), but there are others as well. Metal is a game changer for our hills. 

Yes I did, thus my interest in upgrading my current setup.

Edited by crobeck
  • Like 1