Note to New Members ×

Phiokka (now PHK) aluminium bindings

D.Roe

I really like my older Phiokka aluminium softboot bindings. They are rock solid and extremely responsive (though the vibration notoriously causes the nuts and bolts to come off).  The highback is somewhat "wrap-around" and allows me to exert some forward pressure.

Does anyone have the new model of the PHK "Mix 1" softboot binding?  PHK's website only shows a photo without straps or highbacks:

http://www.phksnow.com/en/snowboard-soft.html

What does the new highback look like?  Attached is a photo of mine as well as the new ones from the PHK website. (These are the split-board version, as the other photo on their website is blurry.)  The newer version is not as bulky/clunky as mine, and has only one highback forward-tilt bolt instead of two.

As I don't expect to find new Catek Freerides, the new Mix 1 may be my new next binding.

Thanks,
David

grafik.png

grafik.png

Edited by D.Roe
photos loaded doubly

Hi David

The Mix is really a great binding, but unfortunately no more produced. I got from the factory the 3 last pairs available last year :)

The new model Mix 2 is yet designed and some prototypes were tested by riders, but production is not started.

I hope it will be available for the next season withnew improvements

Stay tuned !

Thanks Arnaud!  I noticed that the Mix product page hat not changed in a year, and I now see that the events page has the Carvers Days announcements only up to 2016. Is PHK currently building any bindings?  (I know their focus is on hardboot bindings.)

When you refer to "the new model Mix 2", you are referring to both the new Mix.1 (normal) and the new Mix.2 (splitboard) bindings, right?  

Yes, I will stay tuned!  

David

2 hours ago, Corey said:

That picture looks like these would excel at creating binding drag on heelsides with those adjuster screws.

Definitely Corey, for EC -- which I avoid...  That said, had I been on hardpack last week, I would have adjusted the bindings closer to the toe, which had no overhang.

Being all metal, they can be modified, like Arnaud did. The new model doesn't look like it will have this problem.

David

Heelside_overhang_on_Mix-1_binding.jpg

3 hours ago, scottishsurfer said:

What are the straps/ratches like on PHK, or is it a case that you essentially provide ones of your own choosing?

Attached is a photo of the Phiokka straps on my old model. They are quite comfortable, and the heavy-duty ratchets are the easiest such to open that I've ever used. One strap broke -- brittle, likely from old age?  The metal edges on my bindings cut into my boots at a couple of points.  Other than that, my only gripe is the small round spacers on the corners of bindings -- they press dents into the topsheet. I replaced mine with larger spacers I made from a clear lens used for covering a welding lens.  A better material would probably be 2 mm rubber, to match the ring at the center of the binding.

Cheers,
David

Edit:  PS... the straps (and some other parts of the binding) are held by carriage bolts. You could attach your own straps if you prefer.

Phiokka_Mix-1_straps.jpg

Mix-1_baseplate_spacers.jpg

Edited by D.Roe

• 1 year later...

Italians certainly know how to design sexy. That's a great looking binding. 👍

But doesn't this sorta fall into the Deeluxe Ground Control territory?  On the rare instance I'm in soft boots, I think I WANT the stiff highback for feedback or leverage from the soft boot? 🤔  Ground Control with some sorta BTS/DGSS might be good?  Dunno...  

• Like 1

From what I can see in the pictures on their website.....

Very nicely build but :

Seems impossible to rotate the highback, impossible to change a broken toestrap without removing the binding from the board, seems impossible to adjust the highback forward lean independently than the spring pre-tension, apparently no canting possible but they might have been build more for EC sofbooters in mind who generally ride flat...

Do you guys see anything else that has caught your eyes ?....

Edited by RoroSnow
orthograph correction

I'd say the toe strap design is pretty poor it ideally needs away for the ladders to slide inside itself like the flux/switchback strap so it doesn't get caught and break, otherwise it'll need to be worn over the toe rather than on the toe. Ankle strap is very similar to that on the rome targa and hopefully just as good in terms of performance.

Not entirely sure of the point of the sprung high back i cant help but feel it would make it feel a little spongy compared a highback with a traditional forward lean adjustment?