Note to New Members ×

Help Mounting F2 Race Ti Bindings to Kessler 162

st_lupo

Hi all, I realize I've got two strikes against me from the start (non TD bindings and a European board), but here goes...

I just bought a used Kessler 162 sight unseen, and received it not to long ago.  There has obviously been a plate system mounted on it previously.  I'm just trying to mount a pair of F2 Race Ti bindings and the stock screws are not long enough for the job.  It looks like there is a lot more material above the threads of the 4x4 inserts than I'm used to and the stock F2 screws get probably get a max engagement of 1.5 threads.  I obviously can't ride the board like this... So the two question are:

1) I though that 4x4 was a 4x4 so I'm surprised that these screws don't work... Can I use my Race Ti bindings without a plate on this board, or are the inserts designed to support a plate?

2) If I can use my bindings, what is the proper screw dimension?

ok three, questions.  it's actually three questions

3) What do all of the numbers mean in the first of the attached picture?

Thanks for any help!

IMG_3219.thumb.jpg.38712e29aba4746b8a58fc5dd082869a.jpgIMG_3222.thumb.jpg.463c4899b9fd136376907beb58d6cff8.jpg

Those look like absolutely standard 4x4 binding inserts. Your bindings should be fine.

You can work out the screw shaft length required by taking an M6 screw of say 20mm length.

Screw it gently into the inserts all the way till it JUST stops. DO NOT OVERTIGHTEN. Measure how much of the shaft (do not include the head of the screw) is above the surface of the board. 20mm minus that distance is the length of shaft you need. I'm assuming you have the standard alloy plates that come with F2 bindings,  like the one below.  The thickness of the alloy and the rubber gasket under the binding will prevent you bottoming out in the insert when you crank the screws up tight with the binding in place. I have often needed to create custom length screws to get the correct size.

(This disc has had some modifications to allow Burton 3 point inserts to also be used)

5a21ef1ec2d87_F2Base003.thumb.jpg.70780ccad4116ec519f07398fb8fe8f0.jpg

Edited by SunSurfer

on the numbers:

11,46 - looks like radius to me

4x4 upm4 - i bet you there is a universal plate mount around your standard 4x4, underneath the topsheet

50 - seems like stance

260/239 - tail/nose width - dont know which is which, take a measuring tape and see if thats right

200 - waist width - same here take a measuring tape

70.1 - probably the recommended rider weight?

plate marks - looks like vist to me or kessler kplate world cup - mounted directly to 4x4

let me know what did you find out - as last resort you can always write to Hansjorg Kessler - he will be able to help for sure.

I used to get this question a lot and without a single exception, the problem was that the user was not pushing down hard enough on the centre disc to engage the screws. 

Be very careful about getting longer screws. I've seen more than one brand new board with screws punched through the base.

You want 3 full turns of screw engagement.  Agreed that sometimes the F2 rubber ring needs some encouragement to seat, but sometimes the screws really are too short.  

For F2 bindings I like to screw them tight, then put a dot on the screw with a felt pen.  Then unscrew while counting.  When it pops up, your count is your thread engagement.  

the stock screws are definitely too short.  The discs are still seated in the bindings from last year when they were on an F2 Silberpfeil.  For giggles I took a calipers and measured the depth to the opening of the first thread and the Kessler is a hair over 2mm deeper than both my Coiler and Silberpfeil.

Yes, that Aass Fatøl was to provide an easily relatable length scale .   In my house it is called by it's proper name Fat Ass beer

While we're on the topic of bindings, I've always been a little unclear as to the different mounting schemes beyond 3-D, 4x4 and Burton's channel system.  Below is a picture of 6 Kesslers with apparently 3 different hole patterns (for plates).  Can anybody clue me into what the different hole patterns are?

Image-1.jpg

22 minutes ago, st_lupo said:

the stock screws are definitely too short.  The discs are still seated in the bindings from last year when they were on an F2 Silberpfeil.  For giggles I took a calipers and measured the depth to the opening of the first thread and the Kessler is a hair over 2mm deeper than both my Coiler and Silberpfeil.

Yes, that Aass Fatøl was to provide an easily relatable length scale .   In my house it is called by it's proper name Fat Ass beer

While we're on the topic of bindings, I've always been a little unclear as to the different mounting schemes beyond 3-D, 4x4 and Burton's channel system.  Below is a picture of 6 Kesslers with apparently 3 different hole patterns (for plates).  Can anybody clue me into what the different hole patterns are?

Image-1.jpg

First left - upm (or close) plus 4x2

Second - 4x2 plus vist central insert

Third - 4x2

Fourth - all flex plus 4x4

Fifth - no idea