Note to New Members ×

I don't get extreme carving

1xsculler

If you can't EC, you can't race competitively. 

If you never try, as a rec carver, you'll never learn it even as a recovery tactic. Let alone just doing it for fun. 

It's kind of laughable that riders would think it was so... whatever they think... that they'd avoid doing it. Carving around fearful of putting your hands on the snow? That's just a bizarre state of mind, given the potential an alpine setup has. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, softbootsurfer said:

What is Extreme?

Since the beginning or at least late 80's at Milkland, there was a style, that was equated with Surfing, Cliff and Pure Carve put that energy out there...there were at least 30 really good carvers that utilized this style and yes..95% of them were Surfers or had that experience related to them to apply to their Carving...the Flow and Power they achieved in their top to bottom non stop runs with transitions that were so smooth they almost disappeared, is a legendary time for Carving at Milk... Cliff, Joey, Joe, Wayne, Larry, Sparky, Curly, Larry, Mike, Terry, Steve, Pat, Annie, Walter, Jeff, Phillip, Jim, Dick, Diane, are the standouts I remember from that time...all of them were a joy to watch...and there are many more that I can't name...what is interesting to me is how that style has lasted and been emulated at all the sessions that have been at Milk through the years...I have seen a lot of Carvers, racers included and no one ever looked or was any smoother or more powerful than this group,  who spent years surfing at milk...I have called it the age of Camelot at Milkland, when the entire mountain was groomed each day to perfection...I appreciate All the forms and Styles of Carving...Extreme can mean different things to different people...there is a difference between a surfboard and an outrigger canoe, I know that many racers do not want to touch the snow even with their hands, yet anyone who has ridden with Joerg and the Pure Boarding crew and the other Outrigger type riders knows what skill it takes to utilize their whole body as part of the Carving motion...so rather than question motives or Styles, let's just enjoy the ride and different Styles...and look forward,  to the evolution of this sport...Ride the Edge :biggthump

Thanks for the great vid.

I loved watching Cliff on that Purecarve board as after a couple of Rossis, that was my favorite ride.  I just can't remember why I quit ten or twelve years ago.

Of those names you mentioned, how many are still riding at ATC, etc?

There was a Mini Sesh today of Pure Carvers :eek:  Cliff, Curly, Phillip and others were surfing milk into submission :cool:

sorry to say though...most all of the Originals have moved on...very rare to see any Carvers at Milk these days...so today was extra special and after over 4 hours of non stop Carvahlishishnous...Stoked is the feeling :biggthump  glad you are able to reconnect...Enjoy the Ride :ph34r:

some of todays signatures...

IMG_3354.JPG

• Like 3

Just bought a used Swoard and brought it with me instead of my FLC here in Sun Peaks along with my 4WD which I'm in love with.

Watched tons of EC videos, seems to be so easy. Man after 25 years on hardboots I'm not good at all compared to those guys.

Why can't I just EC with my FLC or my 4WD??

Well, this Swoard has something other don't when you rotate your body when initiating turns. Maybe only in my mind, but I really feel something. Not really smooth or relax, but the feeling is different. I can't say I can do EC, but I can say I want to learn it with a Swoard!

At the end of the day, EC makes great pictures and some boards can help you to make those pictures . But really, we need to have fun before thinking of making great pictures. My 4WD does it, as simple as that!! But my Swoard bring me another feeling I've never experimented before, so fun again for me!!!

Make sure you're having fun, that's it. 

• Like 4

Well, I love having EC in my quiver of riding styles and I think learning to EC has made me a more aggressive rider and pushed me onto steeper slopes to apply EC. I would also have to agree with Gadwood that there's something unique to Swoard as the initiation needed for the necessary lean and commitment to EC  has been a lot easier to learn and initiate on my Swoard Dual than any other board I have had......and once you got it, well now I can just as easily two hands down rail my new Moss PQ60!                 

• Like 3

On 2/25/2017 at 0:21 AM, 1xsculler said:

What is the point of extreme carving?

I'd rather see/watch/try to perfect regular carving where there is no laying down on the snow.

I don't lay on the snow. I get compressed down into the turn until suddenly the snow is in my armpit begging to rip off my arm. Now it's my knee and leg and armpit on the other side. Dammit. Why does this keep happening? Funny because other than leading with a hand sometimes I am not actively seeking to lay it out, but when you turn hard enough suddenly it is. And I keep wearing out clothes too. I should get some baggy pants and some duck stance and stop all this crazy body flopping crap. 

• Like 4

On 2/26/2017 at 3:09 PM, softbootsurfer said:

There was a Mini Sesh today of Pure Carvers :eek:  Cliff, Curly, Phillip and others were surfing milk into submission :cool:

sorry to say though...most all of the Originals have moved on...very rare to see any Carvers at Milk these days...so today was extra special and after over 4 hours of non stop Carvahlishishnous...Stoked is the feeling :biggthump  glad you are able to reconnect...Enjoy the Ride :ph34r:

some of todays signatures...

IMG_3354.JPG

IMG_9017.JPG