Note to New Members ×

Looking for a "how to" to thermo treat a liner!

JFChamp

Start with the liners in the shells. Put a turkey oven bag in each liner. Pour about 1.5 quarts of boiling water in each one. Let stand for about 15 minutes. Pour out the water, Pull out the bags, insert your feet & buckle. This saves having to put hot liners into the shells. 

• Like 6

2 hours ago, John E said:

Start with the liners in the shells. Put a turkey oven bag in each liner. Pour about 1.5 quarts of boiling water in each one. Let stand for about 15 minutes. Pour out the water, Pull out the bags, insert your feet & buckle. This saves having to put hot liners into the shells. 

Wow this sounds much easier and safer (for the liner) than the typical method!! Is it as efficient at softening the material?

IMHO, I would recommend the ski shop as they can heat the whole liner evenly and gets the fit fairly good. After I did this I still had some specific pressure points on me Deeluxe boots and I then used the sock\rice\microwave option to further mold the specific pinch points until I got it right. On the Deeluxe liners this was the heel or Achilles part of the liner that was pinching the heel too much. After 3-4 times, they now fit like gloves and are perfect.

10 hours ago, pow4ever said:

interesting!!
Turkey bag + heating element + micro controller = Sous vide cooking liner and dinner ;-)

Hilarious! I expect this will yeild the best results, since you can set a specific temp and let it sit longer to allow the liner to soak up all the heat without ever overheating. Will give this a shot in my upcoming liner tests :).

1 hour ago, corey_dyck said:

I'm picturing a boot tipping over and terrible burns.  But maybe I'm a klutz.  

That was just one of the reasons I didn't suggest using heated molasses or quality pizza sauce (both being more effective heat sinks than water) in this thread:

http://forums.bomberonline.com/index.php?/topic/44781-palau-liners/

That, and you'd get hungry and wander off to the kitchen mid-process.

Well, not you specifically.

Edited by Beckmann AG
  • Like 1

On 2/14/2017 at 1:18 PM, John E said:

Just wanted to add some notes on doing it this way. I did not find 15 minutes to be long enough to fully heat-soak the liners. Note that since you don't have the liners in an oven: heat is being absorbed from the inside of the liner only, and must work its way to the outside, which takes much longer. I ended up doing the following:

1- put a plastic bag in the boot and secure it over the top with a rubber band.

2- put the outside of the shell in a plastic bag and also secure it with a rubber band.

3- secure both boots in an upright position in your sink. I used the drawstring secured to some heavy items to assure the boots remain upright while filled with boiling water.

4- plug sink drain.

5- carefully fill your-plastic-bag lined boots with boiling water. 

6- wait 15 minutes

7- once 15 minutes is up, pour the boiling water into the sink and pour NEW boiling water into the boots.

8- repeat steps 5-7 four times. This will fully heat-soak the liners. The hot water surrounding the boots will assure that the outside of the liner gets fully heat soaked.

9- pour out water, remove plastic bags. 

10- do all the standard molding stuff; stick in feet pull-up liner, make sure wrap/overlap is good, kick down on heels, flex joints to get those ankles deep, and put some books under your toes to relax your feet and shove that heel back. Use a toe cap if you think you're gonna need more wiggle room.

11- suffer for 20 or 30 minutes.

12 - enjoy.

i found this to work fantasticslly well, seams are all in perfect position, got an excellent fit, and this is a much more controlled and stress-free way to do things. Takes abit longer but way better results and much harder to screw-up. Just be csreful with all that boiling water!

IMG_5077.JPG

• Like 1

If you've had your shells punched to make room for pedal abnormalities, you should probably keep them from external heat sources.  I've had to re-do plenty of work when the users inadvertently left their boots too close to the heater in the hotel room.

The water bag method will heat the liners quicker if you dissolve a bunch of sugar into it prior to boiling. Not like you should, but you could.

30 minutes ago, Beckmann AG said:

If you've had your shells punched to make room for pedal abnormalities, you should probably keep them from external heat sources.  I've had to re-do plenty of work when the users inadvertently left their boots too close to the heater in the hotel room.

Good point, I've had this experience myself. These are new, unpunched boots so that wasn't a concern in my case. 

On 2/24/2017 at 11:06 AM, queequeg said:

Just wanted to add some notes on doing it this way. I did not find 15 minutes to be long enough to fully heat-soak the liners. Note that since you don't have the liners in an oven: heat is being absorbed from the inside of the liner only, and must work its way to the outside, which takes much longer. I ended up doing the following:

1- put a plastic bag in the boot and secure it over the top with a rubber band.

2- put the outside of the shell in a plastic bag and also secure it with a rubber band.

3- secure both boots in an upright position in your sink. I used the drawstring secured to some heavy items to assure the boots remain upright while filled with boiling water.

4- plug sink drain.

5- carefully fill your-plastic-bag lined boots with boiling water. 

6- wait 15 minutes

7- once 15 minutes is up, pour the boiling water into the sink and pour NEW boiling water into the boots.

8- repeat steps 5-7 four times. This will fully heat-soak the liners. The hot water surrounding the boots will assure that the outside of the liner gets fully heat soaked.

9- pour out water, remove plastic bags. 

10- do all the standard molding stuff; stick in feet pull-up liner, make sure wrap/overlap is good, kick down on heels, flex joints to get those ankles deep, and put some books under your toes to relax your feet and shove that heel back. Use a toe cap if you think you're gonna need more wiggle room.

11- suffer for 20 or 30 minutes.

12 - enjoy.

i found this to work fantasticslly well, seams are all in perfect position, got an excellent fit, and this is a much more controlled and stress-free way to do things. Takes abit longer but way better results and much harder to screw-up. Just be csreful with all that boiling water!

IMG_5077.JPG

Thanks.  i am going to try this method.  

One question i have....using a 'turkey" bag is presumably because that plastic is ready for some high heat.  It appears that you have two shopping bags sticking out of your boots.  Since you have already done this then it obviously worked to have these boiled 5 times over.....so....i guess I can infer that the turkey part is unnecessary??  or at least that it was in your case?

5 hours ago, Duke said:

Thanks.  i am going to try this method.  

One question i have....using a 'turkey" bag is presumably because that plastic is ready for some high heat.  It appears that you have two shopping bags sticking out of your boots.  Since you have already done this then it obviously worked to have these boiled 5 times over.....so....i guess I can infer that the turkey part is unnecessary??  or at least that it was in your case?

I did not have any turkey bags, I used regular garbage bags (not shopping bags). I definitely would have preferred something with a bit more heft but didn't figure it would be the end of the world if things got wet but I didn't have any problems with leakage. I got away with it but I would recommend something heavier.

Edited by queequeg