Note to New Members ×

Spirit Mountain 2016/2017

rwmaron

Yea, Huttner's forecasts as a whole are pretty accurate and he will admit when he has less confidence in a prediction. But those "Climate Prediction Center" http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/ forecast maps are often the least accurate piece of the puzzle. I've seen them change completely within a couple of days. Sure makes you think you should have booked a trip for the Rockies this winter!

I was there on Saturday and while the fog was thick at times the snow wasn't awful. I brought my Metal Ax and carved from 11-6 without waiting for a lift once. I was wet, but warm enough. My quads are still recovering as it was my first time out this season. The day ended on a very sour note however:

As I often do after a long day (I leave home at 6AM to get there and return the same night around 1 AM with my group) I went to the bar for some hot grub prior to departure. While waiting for my chicken to come up there was a musician playing loudly and the encores kept coming; he did play a decent version of Poncho and Lefty. A friend and I were frustrated with the volume because we were trying to have a conversation - I had chosen to sit at the far end of the room to avoid this issue. At one point an intoxicated patron of the bar, and clearly a Spirit Mountain employee, joined the performer on stage and demanded that everyone (less than a dozen total on that night) in the bar clap. My friend and I were busy eating and had already clapped several times so we kept eating. At this point the drunk called us out and threatened to come over and beat us up if we didn't clap. He continued by adding that he was willing to take it outside if necessary. I'm 6'4" and my friend isn't small either so neither one of us is afraid of a drunk; but we were in shock that this was happening and nobody did anything to stop him.  Shortly after this same drunk accosted an underage member of my group in very inappropriate ways, but walked away when he realized he was hitting on a high school girl; she was very freaked out, but I assured her I had watched the whole thing and had her back.

Why would management allow anyone to have an open mic in the bar? Why didn’t the bar tender or other managers who saw what was going on stop him?

I have been a patron of Spirit Mountain for 30 years. I have personally spent thousands on lift tickets and season passes over those years. My groups have brought tens of thousands of dollars and hundreds of new skiers and snowboarders to them. This incident and the lack of response from the sober employees that witnessed these incidents that night have me questioning if I will ever return. Giant’s Ridge has moved up on my list.

On 1/25/2017 at 11:26 AM, bruincounselor said:

Why would management allow anyone to have an open mic in the bar? Why didn’t the bar tender or other managers who saw what was going on stop him?

I have been a patron of Spirit Mountain for 30 years. I have personally spent thousands on lift tickets and season passes over those years. My groups have brought tens of thousands of dollars and hundreds of new skiers and snowboarders to them. This incident and the lack of response from the sober employees that witnessed these incidents that night have me questioning if I will ever return. Giant’s Ridge has moved up on my list.

Your post here will likely find it's way back to the management of Spirit Mt from one of our crew that is on the board of directors. I have seen some heavy drinking in the bar there so usually get off the hill by mid afternoon if I notice them filtering out onto hill. Pancho and Lefty...great song.

SO...anybody been out lately...since the big thaw?

Tuesday was bulletproof cord after a week above freezing then dropping. Wednesday improved with consistently below 32F temps and a night of grooming. 

Today was excellent and even had some blue skies.

I will not comment here on the above other than to say it will be addrssed.

On 2/6/2017 at 9:21 PM, rwmaron said:

So if you are bigwavedave does she go by bigwavemimi?

Either way I've got a comp pass with her name on it.

We used to call her the Miminator when she was racing, but she thought it was ridiculous, and it probably was.

Thanks for the offer for the pass , but apparently she gets a free pass as a G-Team coach/employee. 

See you Thursday. Looks like there's a nice amount of snow falling:1luvu:

...And now Mimi has to coach Thursday:mad: I'll still be there making those first tracks:eplus2:

Edited by bigwavedave

• 2 weeks later...
55 minutes ago, MNSurfer said:

think spirit will be decent tomorrow (friday, 24th)? I'm coming to surf, but it's building into the afternoon, so I'm thinking of hitting spirit for first turns.

I suspect it will be very firm (icy?) after all the melting and rain and such. They're not set up to refresh the slopes midseason with man made so there may be some thin spots.  Maybe Russ or Ken can provide a first hand report, I'm just guessing.

6 hours ago, MNSurfer said:

think spirit will be decent tomorrow (friday, 24th)? I'm coming to surf, but it's building into the afternoon, so I'm thinking of hitting spirit for first turns.

Sorry, but I can't help with the local perspective on this (mostly because I'm in Arizona....)

Russ

Jane and I had a great time riding for 3 days at Steamboat, then 1 day at Copper. Steamboat was mostly hardpack, no powder while we were there, but Bluebird days. Unfortunately, I hit a different patch of Kryptonite on early Saturday morning while staying in Denver on our return trip. Short version, woke up in septic shock due to invasive Group A beta-Hemolytic Strep sepsis. Anyway, home now and recuperating with two weeks of home IV antibiotic therapy. Hoping to be back out at Spirit in a couple of weeks. Ken

8 hours ago, khoward said:

Jane and I had a great time riding for 3 days at Steamboat, then 1 day at Copper. Steamboat was mostly hardpack, no powder while we were there, but Bluebird days. Unfortunately, I hit a different patch of Kryptonite on early Saturday morning while staying in Denver on our return trip. Short version, woke up in septic shock due to invasive Group A beta-Hemolytic Strep sepsis. Anyway, home now and recuperating with two weeks of home IV antibiotic therapy. Hoping to be back out at Spirit in a couple of weeks. Ken

Just popped in for a quick check and saw this.  Deb and I both hope that you are recovering quickly. Really sorry to hear that.