Note to New Members ×

Spirit Mountain 2016/2017

rwmaron

Rode in softies today as I wasn't sure what conditions I'd find; still only runs 8,9,10, and 11 open. Lots of snow guns running so we should see more terrain soon. Bitterly cold at the start - better later in the morning when the wind eased and the sun made an appearance. Not opening until noon tomorrow due to the cold. In retrospect could have ridden the hard boot kit.

Russ

• 2 weeks later...

I was out for a couple of hours on Wednesday morning (in softies again)  - Ken was out on the Donek too. Lots of traffic as it was day 2 of the DSAC camp. Runs 6-12 were open and snowmaking continues. Some natural snow since then; I think you'll be fine. Good news is that the open is 9am on Jan 1 according to the website. I'll be out on Monday and Ken is planning the same.

Russ

Ken, you might get to use that if you get the forecast snowfall tonight. 

I was out on new years day. Conditions were okay, not great─flat light with very light snow falling, and the familiar ice base under a 2" surface groom, which got scrapped off down the middle of each run after about an hour (lots of beginers on the hill). Best snow was on Four pipe and Double jaw, Scissor bill looked good, but was off limits with a nastar course. Blue ruin and Bindle Stiff were both icy down the middle. Had to take that carve all the way across and turn in softer snow on the edges of the run. My last several runs found the best snow right under the express chair. My legs started to get tired about the same time as it started to get busy around 12:30. Hope this storm refreshes the slopes.

Might come up on Thursday if Duluth gets significant snow.

Patroller Don and I found similar conditions on Monday, plus the Duluth schools were still on break so it was busier than I expected. First outing In hard boots this season for both of us. Less new snow than expected though.

At least we have fat biking as an alternative.......

Russ

So, Spirit claims to be making more snow while closed during the cold temps. I'm hoping they refreshed the icy slopes in addition to blowing snow to build jumps in the parks.

The U.P. continues to get daily lake effect snow. Thinking I should head over there for a couple of days some time in January.

8 hours ago, bigwavedave said:

So, Spirit claims to be making more snow while closed during the cold temps. I'm hoping they refreshed the icy slopes in addition to blowing snow to build jumps in the parks.

I'd be surprised if they did - I don't ever recall seeing the snow guns moved back once a slope is finished. I'll be patrolling both evenings this weekend so will be able to give you an update; I'll be out Monday afternoon too. 

I have to travel for work the week of the 16th but would be all over a UP trip either of the next two weeks.

Russ

Patroller Don and I were out for a couple of hours this afternoon; last night's snow freshened things up nicely. Flattish light but typical light weekday traffic let us have our way. Only bummer is that Juggler Joe is chopped up with small ramps again this year. I'll be out again Thursday afternoon.

Russ

Hi Dave, I look forward to riding with you again! Are you planning to stay at Spirit the whole time? We'll try to save some snow for you:biggthump

Had so much fun yesterday, I'm thinking of coming up again tomorrow. The long range forecasts are hinting at possible rain/sleet event next week with the January thaw, especially east and south of Duluth.

Thinking of coming up on Tuesday, before the thaw. Looks like tomorrow's snow/sleet/rain is taking a more southerly track, but still a significant warm-up later in the week.

Will probably hold off on the U.P. trip─freeze/thaw all this week and then possible rain by the weekend. :eek:

Hey Russ, did you get out on that new board today?

Photo was taken in the Lake County Demonstration Forest just north of Two Harbors where there are 7-8 miles of trails groomed for fat biking in a beautiful setting of mixed forest types. Trails groomed in Duluth for fat biking include Mission Creek, Piedmont, Hartley and Lester parks, and the Duluth Traverse. Enter 'COGGS Trails' in the Google machine for more details!

Rode from 10-12 with Ken in foggy conditions, took a break and when I went back out the sun started breaking through. By 1:00 it turned into a gloriously sunny day:1luvu:

Crowds remained thin enough to have uninterrupted runs on everything from Cinder Snapper to Double Jaw til my knees had enough around 3:00:freak3:

Gandy Dancer this afternoon:

011717 (5) (640x559).jpgimage1 (2) (640x480).jpg

Conditions should be great Wednesday and Thursday. Then conditions may deteriorate starting Friday with a mix of freezing rain and drizzle over the next several days.:mad: