Note to New Members ×

Spirit Mountain 2016/2017

rwmaron

4-5" of new wet, heavy snow at my house this morning; 2-3" at Spirit. First few runs were sublime but by noon the temperature had gone up a few degrees and that new snow got sticky.....that plus a light drizzle made the afternoon challenging. Forecast for  cold temperatures tonight so hopefully the weekend should be good!

Russ

Thanks for the thoughts and wishes and miss being out for first chair. 

Doing better and recuperating. Neck is still moderately painful and decreased range of motion. Old-fashioned aspirin works better than all other pain killers. Planning to go back to work late next week, but doubt I'll get out riding again this season. Could've been a lot worse. Looking forward to next season. Ken

Started out with frozen cord and flat light for the first 1½ hours then softened up by noon as the sun worked on it. Stayed til about 3 when things were getting pretty chewed up. Lots of carving on the hill. Gandy was destroyed by skiers by the time ventured over there. A few soft boot carvers and I ran into 2 hardbooters, Craig from St. Charles on a new Donek Legacy and Ryan was out with his daughter, riding his Donek metal FC. Donek Safari REV for me...also saw a new Donek Knapton Twin in the rack (some G-Team riders were there practicing over in the park with their coach).

58cddb68d39c3_IMG_1447(432x800).jpg.be9818167960f640c4c8b49991dc732a.jpg

Lonboardin heads home. Great riding with you Dave. Russ, thanks again for making the couch available. Had a great 3 days after the storm. Feels like the end of the season, but we'll see:biggthump

Edited by bigwavedave
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, nelsonboat said:

I'm thinking of coming up Friday for the bonus day, would it be worth it?

Temps Wednesday and Thursday forecast for the mid 40's dropping to just below freezing each night; Friday is forecast to be sunny with temps close to 50...with a noon opening I'm guessing that it's going to start out pretty soft and go downhill (so to speak) from there...but hey, a ticket is only $30 - could be a nice day for sunscreen and softies!

Russ

Nice to see you got out:biggthump

Thought I'd repost bobble's link to Duluth icy-trail-skating, in case you guys didn't see it. Looks like it could be on the Spirit rec area trails. Look familiar Russ?

http://www.gomn.com/news/watch-skaters-cruise-down-icy-ski-trails-in-duluth/

Anyone see the northern lights last night?

Edited by bigwavedave

3 hours ago, bigwavedave said:

Nice to see you got out:biggthump

Thought I'd repost bobble's link to Duluth icy-trail-skating, in case you guys didn't see it. Looks like it could be on the Spirit rec area trails. Look familiar Russ?

I second the appreciation of Ken being out again!!!

The video was taken at Lester Park partly on the road and partly on some of the trails - I especially liked the running over the bridge bit!

I'm patrolling at Spirit's final day today - more slarving than any else but still fun to be out!

Russ

On ‎4‎/‎1‎/‎2017 at 2:48 PM, bigwavedave said:

Love to see a final end-of-the-season photo of the hill:cool:

Not just one photo, but a bunch (thanks to Tom Bridge):

https://1drv.ms/f/s!AgOB75atFMj1hINg0hBd0AVaouEquw

No matter the conditions, closing day is a festive occasion, especially when the sun comes out!

58e15717917fa_LastDay2017ab.thumb.jpg.d2a2f4390d785d56b792d3513048a2ac.jpg

• Like 1